Left Right Centre

FOR or AGAINST

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

If, suddenly, a ruling (by whomever - which couldn't be reversed) deemed we had to navigate on the opposite side of the road...to be like Europe: would you be for or against it ;)

I would be against it because I wouldn't like to be trying to cycle in the midst of the chaos on the roads.

Night Train

Maker of Things
yenrod said:
If, suddenly, a ruling (by whomever - which couldn't be reversed)
On this basis I would have to be for it as there would be no point being otherwise. If there was a vote I would be against it. I, like many, wouldn't be able to afford to change a car just to move the steering wheel over and, if it happened, I would probably stay off the roads until it was all sorted. I could see it as another reason for insurance companies to refuse a payout.

Uncle Mort said:
Surprisingly, left hand drive cars are no more expensive to insure in the UK than right hand ones in my experience. Although probably not if you go to elephant.co.uk and get someone with a script in a call centre.;)

Trumped up costs? ;)

Actually beat Aperitif to a pun

bonj2

it'd be a ridiculous idea - think of all the existing cars that are right hand drive and that would then be wrong hand drive. Not to mention all the money that would have to be spent on junctions that could be better spent fixing potholes.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Uncle Mort said:
Surprisingly, left hand drive cars are no more expensive to insure in the UK than right hand ones in my experience. Although probably not if you go to elephant.co.uk and get someone with a script in a call centre.;)
I meant that it would be another reason for insurance companies not to pay out in event of a driver forgetting which side of the road to drive on.

Keith Oates

Janner
I drive/ride mostly in countries were driving on the right is normal and find it neither an advantage or disadvantge. I see no need for the UK to change and the cost to the country would be enormous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm used to driving on the right side, but can switch comfortably back to the left in GB.

The Swedes, strangely enough, even though they they did drive on the left, had the steering wheels on the left, putting them at a disadvantage.

I say to Europeans who lament me about the British being awkward/different; yes, OK, you drive on the right side, but we drive on the correct side!
They miss the irony! :eek:

Top Bottom