1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Left Right Centre

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by yenrod, 21 May 2008.

?
  1. AGAINST

100.0%
  2. FOR

100.0%
  1. yenrod

yenrod Guest

If, suddenly, a ruling (by whomever - which couldn't be reversed) deemed we had to navigate on the opposite side of the road...to be like Europe: would you be for or against it ;)

2. I would be against it because I wouldn't like to be trying to cycle in the midst of the chaos on the roads.

3. palinurus

palinurus Guru

The roads would probably be safer for a while as everyone would be concentrating until they got used to it.

4. Sweden did it in the fifties if my memory um

5. palinurus

palinurus Guru

6. palinurus

palinurus Guru

7. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

I'd be for it because I wouldn't have UK cars colliding with me and writing off my car on after they've gone the wrong way around roundabouts in northern France any more*. I'd be against it because I'm used to driving my mum's LHD sports car on the wrong (right?) side of the road in England.

*One total write off, one very near miss.

8. Night Train

Night Train Guest

On this basis I would have to be for it as there would be no point being otherwise. If there was a vote I would be against it. I, like many, wouldn't be able to afford to change a car just to move the steering wheel over and, if it happened, I would probably stay off the roads until it was all sorted. I could see it as another reason for insurance companies to refuse a payout.

9. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Surprisingly, left hand drive cars are no more expensive to insure in the UK than right hand ones in my experience. Although probably not if you go to elephant.co.uk and get someone with a script in a call centre.;)

10. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

Trumped up costs? ;)

Actually beat Aperitif to a pun

11. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

it'd be a ridiculous idea - think of all the existing cars that are right hand drive and that would then be wrong hand drive. Not to mention all the money that would have to be spent on junctions that could be better spent fixing potholes.

12. If they do, I'll keep driving on the left!

13. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

Like Europe:?::smile:

We are already like Europe, FFS WE ARE IN EUROPE:angry:;):biggrin:!;)

14. Let's change it gradually to give everyone time to get used to it. Cars first, then vans and buses and lorries the week after.

15. Night Train

Night Train Guest

I meant that it would be another reason for insurance companies not to pay out in event of a driver forgetting which side of the road to drive on.