Legal P.E.D's discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
So I was talking to a cat 2 racer who's coming to the end of his racing life. He said he won a few races because he popped 2 aspirins and washed them down with a strong solution of glucose dissolved in water at the race start. This thins blood aids muscular oxygenation and 100% legal. I'm a bit sceptical on how it can make such a difference. I guess marginal gains etc.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Could be placebo. If he believes it, it will work.

Although there was a recent study that showed positive placebo effect, even when the subject was fully aware that they were taking a placebo.

Well, found this http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/6385.html, and then there was this :-
ANTI-INFLAMMATORIES

Common wisdom holds that taking anti-inflammatories or aspirin before cycling or other vigorous activity can reduce muscle soreness. However a study at the University of Georgia concluded that even at large doses (20 mg per kg or 4 standard aspirin for the average rider), aspirin did not delay the onset of muscle pain during exercise or reduce the perceived intensity when it occurred. In addition there is good evidence that using agents such as Motrin (ibuprofen) or aspirin on a regular basis increases the incidence of ulcers and can cause kidney and liver damage. How much is too much? If it's a regular part of your program, it's probably too much, and may be a sign that you are riding or training too hard.

The glucose hit is interesting and this article makes for some interesting reading http://www.mysportscience.com/single-post/2015/02/05/What-to-eat-the-hour-before-a-race

Think this is a pre ride pre race tip I will pass on.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Well, found this http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/6385.html, and then there was this :-
ANTI-INFLAMMATORIES

Common wisdom holds that taking anti-inflammatories or aspirin before cycling or other vigorous activity can reduce muscle soreness. However a study at the University of Georgia concluded that even at large doses (20 mg per kg or 4 standard aspirin for the average rider), aspirin did not delay the onset of muscle pain during exercise or reduce the perceived intensity when it occurred. In addition there is good evidence that using agents such as Motrin (ibuprofen) or aspirin on a regular basis increases the incidence of ulcers and can cause kidney and liver damage. How much is too much? If it's a regular part of your program, it's probably too much, and may be a sign that you are riding or training too hard.

The glucose hit is interesting and this article makes for some interesting reading http://www.mysportscience.com/single-post/2015/02/05/What-to-eat-the-hour-before-a-race

Think this is a pre ride pre race tip I will pass on.
Wow. Nice post thanks.

Sharky

Guru
My dad told me once that in his day, some riders used to take a couple of aspirins with a glass of coca cola. This was in about 1938. He also used to smoke cigs as well, so i dont suppose it was of much benefit.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
My dad told me once that in his day, some riders used to take a couple of aspirins with a glass of coca cola. This was in about 1938. He also used to smoke cigs as well, so i dont suppose it was of much benefit.
I heard that some old pro's dissolved aspirin into flat Coca Cola and had on the bike.

winjim

Smash the cistern
there is good evidence that using agents such as Motrin (ibuprofen) or aspirin on a regular basis increases the incidence of ulcers and can cause kidney and liver damage. How much is too much? If it's a regular part of your program, it's probably too much, and may be a sign that you are riding or training too hard.
Not training related, and anecdotal but just to add to this point. Some practitioners recommend taking a regular low dose of aspirin to protect against cardiovascular disease. When they say low dose, they mean low dose. I know somebody who took 1/2 a regular aspirin daily (so 150mg I think?) which was far too much and they ended up in hospital with bleeding stomach ulcers. Be careful with that stuff and talk to a doctor before you begin any regular dosing regime. :okay:

S-Express

So I was talking to a cat 2 racer who's coming to the end of his racing life. He said he won a few races because he popped 2 aspirins and washed them down with a strong solution of glucose dissolved in water at the race start. This thins blood aids muscular oxygenation and 100% legal. I'm a bit sceptical on how it can make such a difference. I guess marginal gains etc.

If he believed it helped him, then maybe it did. Placebo is a powerful drug. In reality, you shouldn't need anything more than the appropriate level of fitness to compete at 2nd cat level. I used to swear by having a small bottle of beetroot juice drink on the way to a race and I convinced myself that the sh1t taste was worth it. In reality, I doubt it was.

Tin Pot

Guru
If he believed it helped him, then maybe it did. Placebo is a powerful drug. In reality, you shouldn't need anything more than the appropriate level of fitness to compete at 2nd cat level. I used to swear by having a small bottle of beetroot juice drink on the way to a race and I convinced myself that the sh1t taste was worth it. In reality, I doubt it was.

Which is why I do a healthy trade in Magic Water - looks just like normal water!!

Beetroot juice does give a performance increase, as far as science cares, but not by taking a few sips en route.

dbeattie

Über Member
Not a PED but a tiny and undetectable high power motor in the bike could help your rider win. Combine that with an extremely fit and motivated drugged up rider and a really light bike.

Top Bottom