Legality of running in the cycle lane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I was on my motorbike today and as I was riding down the road, I was astonished to see a runner running along in the middle of the cycle lane facing oncoming traffic, when there was a perfectly good, smooth, empty pavement to his right-hand side which was considerably bigger than the cycle lane!

He was passed by a cyclist who had to swing out into traffic to go round him, I think I saw the cyclist say something to him (probably along the lines of "What the hell are you doing?!") and the runner shouted something at him and tried to block his progress by sticking an arm out into the road (into the path of incoming traffic), so the cyclist had to suddenly brake and swerve right out into the middle of the road - causing me to have to brake incase I hit the runner's arm or the cyclist! It was all under control though, I was watching the two of them like a hawk!

I shouted, "You f**king idiot, you'll cause a crash like that!", at the runner (which he wouldn't have heard over the bike engine and through the helmet) as I went past and I pointed at him and wagged my finger, but he just gave me the middle finger and spat at me (which missed!) and carried on.

What's the legality of running in the cycle lane like that, when there's a perfectly good, wide, empty pavement right beside you?!!

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Pedestrians have the right to pass and repast on the queens highway, unless some other law ( motorway,clearly) prohibits that.

So by extension it is perfectly legal to run down the middle of the main carriageway? If the runner then gets mown down by a car doing 60 mph is it deemed to be the motorists fault? What a country.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
So by extension it is perfectly legal to run down the middle of the main carriageway? If the runner then gets mown down by a car doing 60 mph is it deemed to be the motorists fault? What a country.

Oddly no, he would be stopped by the Police for some offence or other. Either that or flattened.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I was on my motorbike today and as I was riding down the road, I was astonished to see a runner running along in the middle of the cycle lane facing oncoming traffic, when there was a perfectly good, smooth, empty pavement to his right-hand side which was considerably bigger than the cycle lane!

He was passed by a cyclist who had to swing out into traffic to go round him, I think I saw the cyclist say something to him (probably along the lines of "What the hell are you doing?!") and the runner shouted something at him and tried to block his progress by sticking an arm out into the road (into the path of incoming traffic), so the cyclist had to suddenly brake and swerve right out into the middle of the road - causing me to have to brake incase I hit the runner's arm or the cyclist! It was all under control though, I was watching the two of them like a hawk!

I shouted, "You f**king idiot, you'll cause a crash like that!", at the runner (which he wouldn't have heard over the bike engine and through the helmet) as I went past and I pointed at him and wagged my finger, but he just gave me the middle finger and spat at me (which missed!) and carried on.

What's the legality of running in the cycle lane like that, when there's a perfectly good, wide, empty pavement right beside you?!!

legal or not, the jogger sounds like a d!ck :angry:

cjb

I don't condone the runner but, as a distance runner in an earlier life, I always preferred the road to the pavement because it offers the chance to get into a smooth unbroken rhythm - something which is not often possible on the footpath.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I don't condone the runner but, as a distance runner in an earlier life, I always preferred the road to the pavement because it offers the chance to get into a smooth unbroken rhythm - something which is not often possible on the footpath.

Oddly I preferred pavements as they had less of a camber :smile:

theclaud

Openly Marxist

I think it's one of the better things about it, as it happens.

Top Bottom