Legality of running in the cycle lane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
What FM said ^^^

al78

Guru
So by extension it is perfectly legal to run down the middle of the main carriageway? If the runner then gets mown down by a car doing 60 mph is it deemed to be the motorists fault? What a country.

Yes, if you think about it, pedestrians have no choice but to walk in the road in rural areas where there is no pavement.

However, it must be said that what is legally right does not necessarily equate to what is morally right and in the case of the OP it sounds like the jogger was behaving unreasonably, which is wrong regardless of the legalities.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Fairy 'nuff Angelfish, I gotcha now. :smile:

I imagine we cyclists come across like that to drivers sometimes too, when we're doing nothing more than expressing righteous indignation. OTOH perhaps he was a bit of a felcher.

PorkyPies

They have a right to be wherever they want. Jogging in the road is better than on the path, no people to slow you down and you don't need to stop at junctions.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Running in the road toward oncoming traffic where safe to do so would be my prefered place to run, I would also run in a cycle lane if it was preferable to the pavement for one or more reasons for example, having to go up and down curbs all the time, might not sound like a big deal stepping up a curbs but if the curb isnt within your natural stride you tend to over stride and sort of leap onto the curb, once here and there, no big deal but repeatedly, it can take its toll. Also the pavements are often being used by other pedestrians and its easier to get past without inconveniencing them.

So in short, no its not illegal, and IMO its not morally wrong either so long as you pay due care and attention.

mr Mag00

rising member
I shouted, "You f**king idiot, you'll cause a crash like that!", at the runner (which he wouldn't have heard over the bike engine and through the helmet) as I went past and I pointed at him and wagged my finger, but he just gave me the middle finger and spat at me (which missed!) and carried on.

perhaps he did hear you and didnt appreciate the approach

I understand why the jogger ran towards traffic.... thats the way 2do it. Still sounds like the guy was acting like a pillock!!!!! You should have turned round and.......:cycle: Cheeky sod!!!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
So by extension it is perfectly legal to run down the middle of the main carriageway? If the runner then gets mown down by a car doing 60 mph is it deemed to be the motorists fault? What a country.

He're an experiment for those who think it is legal. Go out and try it. When you are stopped by the police tell them "pedestrians have the right to pass and repast on the queens highway". I wonder what the response will be?

Theres no offence of walking/running in the pavement, however there is of wilful obstruction of the highway. Putting the arm out would certainly fit.

Theres also an offence of Causing Danger to Road Users - which is generally used if someone htrows cones etc into the road. What I'm not sure about is whether that could apply to being in the road yourself - if I remember I'll try to check at work tonight!

gbb

Legendary Member
They have a right to be wherever they want. Jogging in the road is better than on the path, no people to slow you down and you don't need to stop at junctions.
Even if it potentially could cause a fatality ?
Ive had the same, posted almost exactly the same story a few years ago.
Poorly lit road, oncoming traffic, glare from lights made it difficult to work out what was happening, no gap in the traffic to get around him....
Just so unneccessary (and basically a 'fcuk you' attitude) when there's an 6ft wide empty path inches away from him.
He got a gobfull and so will the next one.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Some roads dont have pavements and I can see why runners would be there. Have done some jogging in the past myself and can see why some use the road, although if I thought I might cause problems I'd move over if I had an option.

Sounds like he had the option and just wanted to pick a fight.

Some runner once also told me that tarmac was easier to run on than concrete paving slabs. Cant see that being true.

Top Bottom