Legality of running in the cycle lane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Some roads dont have pavements and I can see why runners would be there. Have done some jogging in the past myself and can see why some use the road, although if I thought I might cause problems I'd move over if I had an option.

Sounds like he had the option and just wanted to pick a fight.

Some runner once also told me that tarmac was easier to run on than concrete paving slabs. Cant see that being true.

Funnily enough i used to like jogging on grass. Its harder because of dips etc but i always found it softer, more comfortable, less impact.
And like me, you'd move out of the way if it'd cause problems, just like any decent sensible human being would.
Op's experience, like mine sounds like the guy was a tw@t.

400bhp

Guru
I had one do the same about a month ago. I thought it was strange but tbh it wasn't a big deal to go around him.

Remember-runners have similar problems to cyclists when on the pavement.

sheddy

Legendary Member
on a related topic - we have a mobilty scooter rider who rides everywhere using the road, hugging the LH kerb.

I run up the side of a dual carriageway a lot towards on coming traffic. Not in the road its self but in the few feet between the white line and the grass. I often get hooted at and gestured to get off the road. If I see a cyclist I move onto the grass so as not too force them out. It is surprising the amount of drivers you see who have drifted off into there own little world who seem to swerve slightly when they spot me even though I am not on the road. I feel a lot safer running up it than I do cycling because I have that fear of being rear ended by some who is not concentrating.
I also get passed by plenty of police cars who have never stopped

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
If you run in the road for long enough you will get hit by a vehicle.

I think we have to be careful not to fall into the same mentality that some motorists make towards us on bikes. They still have a right to run on the road, they're very often not in the way, not a risk and not at risk.

And yes, with mobility scooters if they can go above 4mph they can be used in the road. They're limted (oddly) at 8mph.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Funnily enough i used to like jogging on grass. Its harder because of dips etc but i always found it softer, more comfortable, less impact.
And like me, you'd move out of the way if it'd cause problems, just like any decent sensible human being would.
Op's experience, like mine sounds like the guy was a tw@t.

Fell runners use special shoes for grass iirc. My "road" running shoes always slid around on grass, hated it.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I think we have to be careful not to fall into the same mentality that some motorists make towards us on bikes. They still have a right to run on the road, they're very often not in the way, not a risk and not at risk.

And yes, with mobility scooters if they can go above 4mph they can be used in the road. They're limted (oddly) at 8mph.

Isn't that the other way round?

They can be used anywhere if they are limited to 4mph, if they are switched to 8mph ( max) they can't be used except on the road, if they go faster than that they aren't "mobility scooters" but something else ( which will need taxes, licence, tests , insurance etc...)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Isn't that the other way round?

They can be used anywhere if they are limited to 4mph, if they are switched to 8mph ( max) they can't be used except on the road, if they go faster than that they aren't "mobility scooters" but something else ( which will need taxes, licence, tests , insurance etc...)

Might be, not entirely sure. Its in the highway code anyway.

rowan 46

Über Member
[QUOTE 1536990"]
Why would a driver run a runner over just because he's in the middle of the road?
[/quote]

the same reason some of them do it to cyclists?
whistling.gif

Top Bottom