Legality of running in the cycle lane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
and your point is?

I'm suggesting the jogger is a d!ck because in the OP it states:

"the runner shouted something at him and tried to block his progress by sticking an arm out into the road (into the path of incoming traffic), so the cyclist had to suddenly brake and swerve right out into the middle of the road"

Regardless of the condition of the road or pavement, that is not acceptable behaviour... and hence, the jogger is a d!ck.

How is this different to a cyclist sticking his/her arm out to get a car to wait behind or pass further out? Loads of us on here recommend doing this.

snibgo

I wouldn't advocate sticking an arm out so a vehicle (whether car or bike) has to swerve to avoid it. That is asking for trouble.

But I contend that no vehicle (whether bike or motorised) should be within an arm's reach of a cyclist or pedestrian.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
It is true for several reasons, one being that paving slabs tend to get a bit wonky for various reasons and like I said relating to curbs, if you have to alter your stride once every now and then to cope with obstcles, its not a big deal, but over some serious milage, constantly dodging cracks or raised bits of pavement, it does take its toll. Also tarmac seems to me to be more forgiving in general.

Never thought about lose paving slabs. Good point!

gbb

Legendary Member
This topic is going off into theroretical nonsense.
We're all making judgements about the right of the jogger to stick his arm out, but it depends on WHEN he put his arm out...at the last moment ? when the cyclist was 3 ft away ?10 ft 20 ft ?...and did he do it to protect himself ? did he do it deliberately to make an already bad situation worse ? did he try to actually impede or even hit the cyclist. Its ridiculous to assume he did any particular one, you'll never know.

FFS, i wouldn't want many of you on a jury. :whistle::biggrin:

It's really quite simple. There's a difference of opinion as to whether its sensible for a jogger to use the road...which it is IMO....but not if it endangers other road users.

400bhp

Guru
We're all making judgements about the right of the jogger to stick his arm out, but it depends on WHEN he put his arm out...at the last moment ? when the cyclist was 3 ft away ?10 ft 20 ft ?...and did he do it to protect himself ? did he do it deliberately to make an already bad situation worse ? did he try to actually impede or even hit the cyclist. Its ridiculous to assume he did any particular one, you'll never know.

It's really quite simple. There's a difference of opinion as to whether its sensible for a jogger to use the road...which it is IMO....but not if it endangers other road users.

+1

:thumbsup:

roadrunner20

As a keen runner i would like to add a few things here

First of all running on paverment has about 1,000 issues as much as cycling in bad cycle lane has for cyclists.

So with this in mind i myself and i know every other runner out there WILL run in the road if possible and if they deem it to be worth the risk/worthwhile.

Good example is my running route from which our club runs, we have a cycle lane which we use to run in quite a lot due to having a number of constant problems running along the pavement(number of which are pavement slabs taking us out and not being fixed)

So we do use the cycle lane if its clear rather than running on the pavement.

Ofc i dont run in road if its busy but if it isnt i will run in the road as its far better running wise in most cases then getting injured/abused to crap if you use pavement.

with this in mind though i do use pavement where i can depending on traffic..

point is dont think because a runner is using cycle lane his a dick there are many good resons why running in road/cycle lanes are better than pavement.

snailracer

Über Member
As a keen runner i would like to add a few things here

First of all running on paverment has about 1,000 issues as much as cycling in bad cycle lane has for cyclists...
Embarassingly, some runners can outpace my average commute speed.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Down to interpretation I suppose. The H Code refers to safety crossing cycle paths and roads but does not ban pedestrians from walking on them. Sticking his arm out and spitting at someone though, is that not a form of attempted assault?

gavintc

Guru
I don't condone the runner but, as a distance runner in an earlier life, I always preferred the road to the pavement because it offers the chance to get into a smooth unbroken rhythm - something which is not often possible on the footpath.

+1, the road is typically a better surface.

al78

Guru

The voice of reason at last.

There seems to be a group of people here who think that merely being a pedestrian gives one the right to do what they bloody well like with no regard to the consequences for other people. It doesn't.

Well, I hope I never meet Mr.Tickle out for a jog

Most normal people's arms are not long enough to cause any incident whatever direction they choose to stick them in at whatever time. If of course I afford others the same room as I expect to be given myself.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Theres no offence of walking/running in the pavement, however there is of wilful obstruction of the highway. Putting the arm out would certainly fit.

Theres also an offence of Causing Danger to Road Users - which is generally used if someone htrows cones etc into the road. What I'm not sure about is whether that could apply to being in the road yourself - if I remember I'll try to check at work tonight!

Did you ever get to check on the legalities of running in the road?

It seems to me that putting one's arm out is not a problem - nobody should be passing that closely anyway.

Top Bottom