Legality of running in the cycle lane?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ped's actions are fine with me, well within their rights, down to the cyclist to adapt to the peds presence, not get pissy with them, surely?

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Ped's actions are fine with me, well within their rights, down to the cyclist to adapt to the peds presence, not get pissy with them, surely?

Personally, I think it was both of their faults - the cyclist had plenty of room to manouevre because I was hanging back anyway, and so he shouldn't have gotten pissy with the runner, but I think the runner was a damn fool to throw his arm out into the road with a hoofin' great motorbike (me) and a car behind that (car following me) not 6 feet away from him!

If it were me on that bicycle, I would have anticipated, pulled out into primary well before the runner, then moved back over to secondary. Nothing else would have happened.

gbb

Legendary Member
I had one do the same about a month ago. I thought it was strange but tbh it wasn't a big deal to go around him.

Remember-runners have similar problems to cyclists when on the pavement.

Under normal circumstances, daylight, normal or light traffic..i'd do the same. Wouldn't even think anything bad of him. It's the circumstances that can change everything.

I run up the side of a dual carriageway a lot towards on coming traffic. Not in the road its self but in the few feet between the white line and the grass. I often get hooted at and gestured to get off the road. If I see a cyclist I move onto the grass so as not too force them out. It is surprising the amount of drivers you see who have drifted off into there own little world who seem to swerve slightly when they spot me even though I am not on the road. I feel a lot safer running up it than I do cycling because I have that fear of being rear ended by some who is not concentrating.
I also get passed by plenty of police cars who have never stopped
One of the most dangerous situations on the road, which is why the Police recommend you get well over onto the verge in the event of a breakdown. I have an ex colleague who's brother was killed on a road, walking back from his broken down car on the hard shoulder. A car took him out who'd just drifted over due to lack of concentration.

Ever jogged down a road with a broken up pavement, with wet, slippery leaves and other detritus?

"Wah I want my Mummy, someone is in my way" - sometimes cyclists and motorists aren't too far removed
As above ST, its the circumstances. In my case is it acceptable to endanger another road user by jogging with dark clothing, on a poorly lit road, heavy traffic...when there was a wide, dry, clear footpath inches away ?

You're right if someone was complaining simply that joggers shouldnt be in the road. Its the circumstances on the day that make the difference of right and wrong, sensible or stupid.

fimm

Veteran
Just because the pavement appears suitable for running on, doens't mean that it is (just like, just because a cyclepath appears to a non-cyclist to be suitable for cycling on, that doesn't mean that it is).

We're taught (or at least I was taught) to walk on the road facing on-coming traffic if there is no pavement. I suspect that runners who run on the road might take this strategy with them, and I'm not so sure it works if you are running because a runner is moving faster and is much less inclined to stop. If you run on the road in the same direction as the traffic is moving, the traffic can at least sit behind you rather than coming to a halt.

gbb

Legendary Member
It'd be interesting to know what sort of cyclist he was...
Its not fair to generalise, but experience shows me that there's a lot of BOB's who're riding 'normal' bikes' who just blunder on regardless. Cycling isn't a hobby, pastime, whatever, just a means to get from A to B.
On the other hand, roadbikers you'll rarely ever see them behave like that...

That may sound elitist, it's not that, it's the fact a guy on a roadbike is usually spending more time on the road, dealing with traffic more, more aware of the dangers, more aware of the consequences of his and others actions.

There is no black and white, especially out on the road. Even a good cyclist can make a mistake, mis-interpret a set of circumstances, even over-react to a situation...havn't we all at some time or other?:whistle:

6 and 2 threes as Xmister says...i'd be tempted to say perhaps the joggers concentration was lost for a minute ? but then to react the way he did doesn't help you think he's anything but a dick.
Perhaps the cyclist incorrectly, but based on his experience expected the jogger would hop on the path out of harms way.
Perhaps they were both dicks :whistle: perhaps they both just made a momentary error...it doesn't damn them to the depths of hell. Might have both been nice people in any other situation.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Some roads dont have pavements and I can see why runners would be there. Have done some jogging in the past myself and can see why some use the road, although if I thought I might cause problems I'd move over if I had an option.

Sounds like he had the option and just wanted to pick a fight.

Some runner once also told me that tarmac was easier to run on than concrete paving slabs. Cant see that being true.

It is true for several reasons, one being that paving slabs tend to get a bit wonky for various reasons and like I said relating to curbs, if you have to alter your stride once every now and then to cope with obstcles, its not a big deal, but over some serious milage, constantly dodging cracks or raised bits of pavement, it does take its toll. Also tarmac seems to me to be more forgiving in general.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Ever jogged down a road with a broken up pavement, with wet, slippery leaves and other detritus?

"Wah I want my Mummy, someone is in my way" - sometimes cyclists and motorists aren't too far removed

and your point is?

I'm suggesting the jogger is a d!ck because in the OP it states:

"the runner shouted something at him and tried to block his progress by sticking an arm out into the road (into the path of incoming traffic), so the cyclist had to suddenly brake and swerve right out into the middle of the road"

Regardless of the condition of the road or pavement, that is not acceptable behaviour... and hence, the jogger is a d!ck.

cjb

There was a chap who used to run everywhere in the road round my parents way, even saw him out one christmas morning the nutter!

Serious competitive runners rarely miss a day's training, I know that was once me! Besides, what better way to get an appetite for the Xmas day ahead.

snibgo

The cyclist can move further out into the road. If the cycle lane is narrow, yes, the cyclist needs to move out of it. What's the problem with that?

Top Bottom