LEJOG 6th May 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mini58

Well time moves on: I do have a JustGiving page - I am raising money for Scope - should anyone feel inclined to donate - JustGiving: and then search for Alan Connington or find me on Facebook

My route:
Land’s End. Clevendon. Chorley. Edinburgh. Tain
Penzance Thornbury. Preston. Kinross. Brora
Camborne Gloucester. Condor Green. Perth. Helmsdale
Penhallow. Tewksbury. Lancaster. Dunkeld. Lybster
Bodmin. Worcester. Kendal. Pitlochry. Wick
Hallsworthy. Kidderminster. Penrith. Blair Atholl. John O Groats
Holsworthy. Whitmore Reans Carlisle. Dalwhinnie
Hatherleigh. Stafford. Lockerbie. Newtonmore
Tiverton. Stoke On Trent. Moffat. Aviemore
Taunton. Lower Withington. Abington. Inverness
Cheddar. Manchester. Carnwath. Dingwall

968 miles: how many days? No rush - there are some short distances ( my days of rest) and some longer distances. There are lots of hills - 20 miles a day?

All thoughts gratefully received. I have a tent and I will be doing a bit of B&B.

OP
OP
Mini58

Mini58

Well time moves on: I do have a JustGiving page - I am raising money for Scope - should anyone feel inclined to donate - JustGiving: and then search for Alan Connington or find me on Facebook

My route:
Land’s End. Clevendon. Chorley. Edinburgh. Tain
Penzance Thornbury. Preston. Kinross. Brora
Camborne Gloucester. Condor Green. Perth. Helmsdale
Penhallow. Tewksbury. Lancaster. Dunkeld. Lybster
Bodmin. Worcester. Kendal. Pitlochry. Wick
Hallsworthy. Kidderminster. Penrith. Blair Atholl. John O Groats
Holsworthy. Whitmore Reans Carlisle. Dalwhinnie
Hatherleigh. Stafford. Lockerbie. Newtonmore
Tiverton. Stoke On Trent. Moffat. Aviemore
Taunton. Lower Withington. Abington. Inverness
Cheddar. Manchester. Carnwath. Dingwall

968 miles: how many days? No rush - there are some short distances ( my days of rest) and some longer distances. There are lots of hills - 20 miles a day?

All thoughts gratefully received. I have a tent and I will be doing a bit of B&B.

Sorry about that the formatting did not work - to be read in columns: with Lands End- Clevendon Chorley - Edinburgh - Tain at the top of each column

Ajax Bay

Guru
Corrected that for you.

My route:
Land’s End
Penzance
Camborne
Penhallow
Bodmin
Hallsworthy
Holsworthy
Hatherleigh
Tiverton
Taunton
Cheddar
Clevedon
Thornbury
Gloucester
Tewksbury
Worcester
Kidderminster
Whitmore Reans
Stafford
Stoke On Trent
Lower Withington
Manchester
Chorley
Preston
Condor Green
Lancaster
Kendal
Penrith
Carlisle
Lockerbie
Moffat
Abington
Carnwath
Edinburgh
Kinross
Perth
Dunkeld
Pitlochry
Blair Atholl
Dalwhinnie
Newtonmore
Aviemore
Inverness
Dingwall
Tain
Brora
Helmsdale
Lybster
Wick
John O Groats

968 miles

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mini58

Mini58

How are you getting back from JOG?

Dear Steveindenmark: there is a courier service from John o Groats - I will book it and get my trike and me back to the nearest van rental place. I will then hire a van and drive back to Bedford with my trike - that is my plan anyway.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Dear Steveindenmark: there is a courier service from John o Groats - I will book it and get my trike and me back to the nearest van rental place. I will then hire a van and drive back to Bedford with my trike - that is my plan anyway.
Do you have a link for the courier service?

Ajax Bay

Guru
IMG_0229[1].JPG
IMG_0235[1].JPG
there is a courier service from John o Groats - I will book it and get my trike and me back to the nearest van rental place. I will then hire a van and drive back to Bedford with my trike - that is my plan anyway.
I'll offer you another far more interesting and the same time restful option for you and your trike (and I bet rather cheaper).

Afternoon ferry to the Orkneys (£19/16 from either JoG or Gills Bay (4 miles west of JoG); a flat tricycle to Kirkwall; overnight ferry to Aberdeen (£26, @ 2345) gets in 0700 (ie morning after finishing). Plenty of van hire places in Aberdeen and a faster, shorter road south (cf Inverness). Not as scenic a drive, but by then you'll have done 'scenic' in spades. Here's my last (ninth) day: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/7949782

The JoG > Burwick ferry only runs May-Sep but I think you'd get your trike on board. Quite close by is Gills Bay and the larger ferry to St Margaret Hope (a vehicle ferry which goes all year round and later at 1845 (the Burwick one goes at 1800 Jun-Aug and at 1630 in May and Sep)). The road to Kirkwall is 10km shorter. NB lights required for cycle out to Hatston Quay from Kirkwall (2 miles) for the Aberdeen ferry, even in mid summer. Ferry to Aberdeen is every two days (Mon, Wed and Fri) - timetable.

Have a look at this thread too: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/getting-back-from-jog-to-civilisation.182241/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mini58

Mini58

Well off I went: Penzance to Helston to Falmouth to Truro to St Austell which is where I am now. Did not follow my intended route hey hum. St Austell to Leskeard. Been on the cycle routes: thinking about giving them a miss. Went on cycle route 2 today ended up having to get off and push no traction on the gravel surface did not want to rip my tyre to shreds. Pushing a trike was fun. But hey all in all: good so far.

Top Bottom