LEJOG 6th May 2018

Discussion in 'Lands End to John O'Groats (LEJOG)' started by Mini58, 4 Mar 2018.

1. Mini58

Mini58 Active Member

Well time moves on: I do have a JustGiving page - I am raising money for Scope - should anyone feel inclined to donate - JustGiving: and then search for Alan Connington or find me on Facebook

My route:
    Land’s End. Clevendon. Chorley. Edinburgh. Tain
    Penzance Thornbury. Preston. Kinross. Brora
    Camborne Gloucester. Condor Green. Perth. Helmsdale
    Penhallow. Tewksbury. Lancaster. Dunkeld. Lybster
    Bodmin. Worcester. Kendal. Pitlochry. Wick
    Hallsworthy. Kidderminster. Penrith. Blair Atholl. John O Groats
    Holsworthy. Whitmore Reans Carlisle. Dalwhinnie
    Hatherleigh. Stafford. Lockerbie. Newtonmore
    Tiverton. Stoke On Trent. Moffat. Aviemore
    Taunton. Lower Withington. Abington. Inverness
    Cheddar. Manchester. Carnwath. Dingwall

968 miles: how many days? No rush - there are some short distances ( my days of rest) and some longer distances. There are lots of hills - 20 miles a day?

All thoughts gratefully received. I have a tent and I will be doing a bit of B&B.

2. OP
    OP
    Mini58

Mini58 Active Member

Sorry about that the formatting did not work - to be read in columns: with Lands End- Clevendon Chorley - Edinburgh - Tain at the top of each column

3. How are you getting back from JOG?

4. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

Corrected that for you.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2018
    AnneW likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Mini58

Mini58 Active Member

Many thanks Ajax. Kind Regards Alan

6. OP
    OP
    Mini58

Mini58 Active Member

Dear Steveindenmark: there is a courier service from John o Groats - I will book it and get my trike and me back to the nearest van rental place. I will then hire a van and drive back to Bedford with my trike - that is my plan anyway.

7. Do you have a link for the courier service?

8. OP
    OP
    Mini58

Mini58 Active Member

Tel: 01463 419160

Not used them. If you do let me know how you get on. Got the information from the Sustrans Book. Says the service goes to Inverness - not checked the price.

9. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

IMG_0229[1].JPG IMG_0235[1].JPG
    I'll offer you another far more interesting and the same time restful option for you and your trike (and I bet rather cheaper).

Afternoon ferry to the Orkneys (£19/16 from either JoG or Gills Bay (4 miles west of JoG); a flat tricycle to Kirkwall; overnight ferry to Aberdeen (£26, @ 2345) gets in 0700 (ie morning after finishing). Plenty of van hire places in Aberdeen and a faster, shorter road south (cf Inverness). Not as scenic a drive, but by then you'll have done 'scenic' in spades. Here's my last (ninth) day: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/7949782

The JoG > Burwick ferry only runs May-Sep but I think you'd get your trike on board. Quite close by is Gills Bay and the larger ferry to St Margaret Hope (a vehicle ferry which goes all year round and later at 1845 (the Burwick one goes at 1800 Jun-Aug and at 1630 in May and Sep)). The road to Kirkwall is 10km shorter. NB lights required for cycle out to Hatston Quay from Kirkwall (2 miles) for the Aberdeen ferry, even in mid summer. Ferry to Aberdeen is every two days (Mon, Wed and Fri) - timetable.

Have a look at this thread too: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/getting-back-from-jog-to-civilisation.182241/

Last edited: 1 Apr 2018
    User19783, Slick, AnneW and 2 others like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Mini58

Mini58 Active Member

Wow lots better than van hire for sure.

11. OP
    OP
    Mini58

Mini58 Active Member

Getting close to start date now: really excited

GM likes this.
  12. AnneW

AnneW Über Member

Not long now - Good luck!!

13. OP
    OP
    Mini58

Mini58 Active Member

How right you are Anne - to be honest I have been hanging about for the last couple of weeks waiting to go.

Thank you for the good wishes

14. OP
    OP
    Mini58

Mini58 Active Member

Well off I went: Penzance to Helston to Falmouth to Truro to St Austell which is where I am now. Did not follow my intended route hey hum. St Austell to Leskeard. Been on the cycle routes: thinking about giving them a miss. Went on cycle route 2 today ended up having to get off and push no traction on the gravel surface did not want to rip my tyre to shreds. Pushing a trike was fun. But hey all in all: good so far.

Slick and TinyMyNewt like this.
  15. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

Now that's what I call real touring, enjoy!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice