LEJOG in 2017 while I still can, help with which bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
You are still a youngster then. Nothing to worry about.
an injury or illness can strike at any moment - do it now I say!

The OP needs to decide if they are taking panniers or not, and that we largely dictate bike choice. A Specialized Secteur might in theory accept a pannier rack but the reality is the rear wheel spokes will start snapping after a day and the bike will not be happy with loaded panniers on it - racks on such bikes are made for light day packs only

Kosong

Yeah go for it OP! As someone else said earlier in the thread, LEJOG can be done on any bike really...it's been done on tandems, fold ups, fixies, tourers, MTB, cyclocross...so long as you are comfy and can carry everything you need, don't sweat it.

I am a Surly LHT owner, and I love that bike! It totally changed my cycling for the better, coincidentally I find it really light even loaded and it just steams across flats and inclines when you put the effort in. But I've always ridden much bigger, heavier dutch style bikes so I find the LHT even loaded is much faster and easier to handle...plus the triple helps when I used to only have 1-3 gears ;) Get a bike that YOU are comfy on, pay attention to the saddle, make sure your back can handle a backpack (if not, get pannier rack and just strap the backpack to the top if you're not keen on side loading.) but most of all, enjoy the ride!

Ajax Bay

Guru
make sure your back can handle a backpack
The carriage option of a backpack should not be considered, or perhaps more reasonably, considered and discarded. The bicycle itself is more than capable and saves body stress and a very, very sweaty back. I carry a very lightweight rucsac (200g) for carrying shopping (food) for the last few km of a day, when I expect to have to cook (as opposed to buying a meal).

Kosong

For sure - I don't use backpacks as it does my neck in, i get hot and sweaty and i have panniers. But my brother insists on using a big backpack, even on 4 day long rides I've been with him...he says he doesn't like how his bike handles with panniers, but it's just a matter of getting used to it. i told him to just strap his backpack to the top of a rear rack so its in the middle...am trying to convince him before LEJOG as I'm sure he will destroy his back and neck

Ajax Bay

Guru
A Specialized Secteur might in theory accept a pannier rack but the reality is the rear wheel spokes will start snapping after a day and the bike will not be happy with loaded panniers on it - racks on such bikes are made for light day packs only
Why do you think those wheels will not be up to it (though I agree 32 would be safer than 28)? OP is doing end-to-end B&B so no more than an extra 7kg, probably less - in fact a sort of "light day pack" perhaps - needs about 12 litres capacity IME. On another thread @PaulSecteur has such a bike for sale.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I ride my carbon road bike with panniers on a seat post pannier rack.

I keep the weight under 10kg and ride on 25c tyres. I try to keep on roads or hard packed earth. It has its original rims.

I dont have any problems with this and 10kg is plenty enough to last me the week.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Its probably not what you want to hear, not least because we all love buying bikes...but you can do lejog on any bike.

Just pace yourself accordingly. The roads are not challenging, the hills not that demanding and the weather, well it will be British.

I did mine with discover adventure, who organised absolutely everything. I spent about a tenner in the entire two weeks, it was all included.

If it helps to prepare...or motivate, check out a few blogs...here's mine

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lands-end-to-john-ogroats.155855/
Thanks for the advice. My current bike is having its 29th birthday. So my birthday present to myself was going to be the bike. Really enjoyed your blog and lots to think about. Thanks again

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
I have a Surly LHT .... mine has 26 inch wheels. I too am planning to do LEJOG and initially thought that I would use the Surly.

I'm in 2 minds though as I may/most probably will try and do it pretty fast (as fast as I can) and will most probably use my Specialized S-Works Transition....

I will travel light (backpack with a few light clothes), and a saddle bag with spare tubes etc, and a handlebar bag .... and a credit card

The Surly is extremely comfortable (I have a Gilles Berthoud Aravis saddle), but the bike is heavy and slow when you add full mudguards, pannier racks, pannier bags etc (especially on uphills and headwind) ....

average speed on a flat road with little or no wind is approx 5+km/hr slower than my other 2 bikes ... It does not sound like much, but if you ride 10hrs-12hrs a day, that equates to 50-60km/day slower .... multiply that by a few days and it's a lot... add some headwind and steep hills and the distance will even be greater .... and it makes a huge difference

My Surly will be used as my winter commuting bike and I will use it for a few leasurly 100-200km Audax rides but I doubt that I will use it for long rides such as LEJOG or PBP
Thanks for the advice, hadn't thought about the average speed in that way, but hope to just take my time and get there when I get there. Although this will make planning how to get home more difficult. Need to look into saddles more and make sure I get the best fit for me.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
get one of these:
Specialized secteur disc: .... you can find these on ebay for approx £350-£450 ... light, fast, triple chainset, and you add add mudguards and a pannier rack. Fit good 28 wide tyres (I'd use Schwalbe Durano Plus as they are bombproof) , add a Brooks Cambium C17 Carved saddle and you are good to go
s-l1600.jpg
Thank you for the advice. Just started thinks no about the best saddle for me. Brooks Cambium seems to get a good write up., but which size will be the question. Think local bike shop will be able to help with fitting.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 79
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Thank you for the advice
Hang on a minute. Everyone is suggesting bikes that they would do it on instead of asnswering the question asked.

The Genesis Tdf gets great write ups and is well capable of Lejog. Its got everything you need and its a reasonable price. You dont need to spend more money.

Are there better bikes. Well what is a better bike? We all have our favourites but the Tdf is a good choice.

I would concentrate on what you intend to take with you. If you are doing B&Bs all the way you can get away with taking very little. Bearing in mind everyone takes far too much. The less weight, the less effort.
thank you for the advice and for answering the question. Biggest weight question has to be me! Recently lost 4.5 stone so will have less to get up the hills, but hoping training will get me lighter still before I go.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Back to original question, yes a TdF is a good choice, comfy steel frame, comes with guards and racks already included in the price, and dynamo lights I believe. Triple chainring so you have low gears for when your carrying a bit of kit. Do get the 2017 drop bar version, more hand positions = more comfort.

The surly LHT mentioned is also a good choice, but you'll need to buy guards and racks when doing a price comparison. (Bit of an ill advised gamble could be taken on guards if you think you can hit 10-12 consecutive dry days!)

Or you could go second hand on a similar spec touring bike.

You could also do it on an out and out race bike with a ruck sack, or a 1970s Raleigh Chopper.
Thanks for the advice, definitely looking at the drop bar version. Have also been scouring second hand bike sites.

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
If you are planning to do this B&B, you need not carry much stuff, so don't concern yourself with "riding a more laden bike", not until the last month or so before your end-to-end. Carrying close to what you plan to take (and how you plan to carry it) is more testing the carriage system and robustness, rather than fitness or bike handling. Of course how much you carry depends on your standards of sartorial elegance overnight and eating out.
The Genesis Tdf looks lovely (and another has mentioned the need to decide whether to go for flat or drop bars). But it's a lot of money, so you need to consider what other cycling you might do before and/or after an end-to-end. I recommend you get a (much) cheaper bike to discover how you feel about some of this stuff, and then, with that knowledge gained, get a bike (second hand, unless you are a must buy new person) for the end-to-end.
Normal brakes will be fine for this type of cycling. Discs are not needed (see comments on load below). On the other hand, discs will allow a wider tyre which might afford more comfort. Also you will not be riding at night so the generator hub is a significant additional expense: one you probably don't need. The chainset is 44-32-22. This is very much a touring triple, anticipating you carrying heavy loads and looking for some serious hills. See total weight comments below.
The wheels are both 36 spoke with good rims, which will mean good strong wheels, probably stronger than you need, but if you are 16+ stone then well worth having strong wheels. This bike is designed for the 4 panniers and rack bag brigade (carrying camping kit and and 30+kg). It needs to be strong for that, and discs give it stopping power. At 15kg plus, this is not a light bike, but it's steel.
As far as a route is concerned, loads of planning fun to be had by looking at the options and planning your own.
Here is a link to my post where I attempted to list the factors and questions to take into account / consider.
@robgul is an expert and will direct you to his wonderful website, as well as offering his comments, I hope. Join the Touring Cyclists Club.
Really useful advice thank you. Tdf I was looking at only had back rack and no lights and was under the 1k just! I have recently lost 4.5 stones so my weight was more of an issue than the bike. Still need the strong wheels though and as I train hopefully more will come off. Well below your 16+ stone mark now. Was looking at the safe route guide as I'm not in a hurry and want to avoid main roads if I can. Thanks again for the advice

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
an injury or illness can strike at any moment - do it now I say!

The OP needs to decide if they are taking panniers or not, and that we largely dictate bike choice. A Specialized Secteur might in theory accept a pannier rack but the reality is the rear wheel spokes will start snapping after a day and the bike will not be happy with loaded panniers on it - racks on such bikes are made for light day packs only
Thanks for the advice and encouragement

dim

Thank you for the advice. Just started thinks no about the best saddle for me. Brooks Cambium seems to get a good write up., but which size will be the question. Think local bike shop will be able to help with fitting.

I have the Brooks Cambium Carved C17 ....

Top Bottom