LEJOG in 2017 while I still can, help with which bike.

Discussion in 'Lands End to John O'Groats (LEJOG)' started by Ice2911, 8 Oct 2016.

1. e-rider

e-rider crappy member

an injury or illness can strike at any moment - do it now I say!

The OP needs to decide if they are taking panniers or not, and that we largely dictate bike choice. A Specialized Secteur might in theory accept a pannier rack but the reality is the rear wheel spokes will start snapping after a day and the bike will not be happy with loaded panniers on it - racks on such bikes are made for light day packs only

2. Kosong

Kosong Active Member

Yeah go for it OP! As someone else said earlier in the thread, LEJOG can be done on any bike really...it's been done on tandems, fold ups, fixies, tourers, MTB, cyclocross...so long as you are comfy and can carry everything you need, don't sweat it.

I am a Surly LHT owner, and I love that bike! It totally changed my cycling for the better, coincidentally I find it really light even loaded and it just steams across flats and inclines when you put the effort in. But I've always ridden much bigger, heavier dutch style bikes so I find the LHT even loaded is much faster and easier to handle...plus the triple helps when I used to only have 1-3 gears ;) Get a bike that YOU are comfy on, pay attention to the saddle, make sure your back can handle a backpack (if not, get pannier rack and just strap the backpack to the top if you're not keen on side loading.) but most of all, enjoy the ride!

Ice2911 likes this.
  3. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

The carriage option of a backpack should not be considered, or perhaps more reasonably, considered and discarded. The bicycle itself is more than capable and saves body stress and a very, very sweaty back. I carry a very lightweight rucsac (200g) for carrying shopping (food) for the last few km of a day, when I expect to have to cook (as opposed to buying a meal).

Ice2911 likes this.
  4. Kosong

Kosong Active Member

For sure - I don't use backpacks as it does my neck in, i get hot and sweaty and i have panniers. But my brother insists on using a big backpack, even on 4 day long rides I've been with him...he says he doesn't like how his bike handles with panniers, but it's just a matter of getting used to it. i told him to just strap his backpack to the top of a rear rack so its in the middle...am trying to convince him before LEJOG as I'm sure he will destroy his back and neck

5. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

Why do you think those wheels will not be up to it (though I agree 32 would be safer than 28)? OP is doing end-to-end B&B so no more than an extra 7kg, probably less - in fact a sort of "light day pack" perhaps - needs about 12 litres capacity IME. On another thread @PaulSecteur has such a bike for sale.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2016
  6. I ride my carbon road bike with panniers on a seat post pannier rack.

I keep the weight under 10kg and ride on 25c tyres. I try to keep on roads or hard packed earth. It has its original rims.

I dont have any problems with this and 10kg is plenty enough to last me the week.

7. OP
    OP
    Ice2911

Ice2911 Über Member

Thanks for the advice. My current bike is having its 29th birthday. So my birthday present to myself was going to be the bike. Really enjoyed your blog and lots to think about. Thanks again

jonny jeez likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Ice2911

Ice2911 Über Member

Thanks for the advice, hadn't thought about the average speed in that way, but hope to just take my time and get there when I get there. Although this will make planning how to get home more difficult. Need to look into saddles more and make sure I get the best fit for me.

9. OP
    OP
    Ice2911

Ice2911 Über Member

Thank you for the advice. Just started thinks no about the best saddle for me. Brooks Cambium seems to get a good write up., but which size will be the question. Think local bike shop will be able to help with fitting.

Attached Files:

10. OP
    OP
    Ice2911

Ice2911 Über Member

Thank you for the advice
    thank you for the advice and for answering the question. Biggest weight question has to be me! Recently lost 4.5 stone so will have less to get up the hills, but hoping training will get me lighter still before I go.

11. OP
    OP
    Ice2911

Ice2911 Über Member

Not two fat ladies, just one ex overweight bloke!

jonny jeez likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Ice2911

Ice2911 Über Member

Thanks for the advice, definitely looking at the drop bar version. Have also been scouring second hand bike sites.

13. OP
    OP
    Ice2911

Ice2911 Über Member

Really useful advice thank you. Tdf I was looking at only had back rack and no lights and was under the 1k just! I have recently lost 4.5 stones so my weight was more of an issue than the bike. Still need the strong wheels though and as I train hopefully more will come off. Well below your 16+ stone mark now. Was looking at the safe route guide as I'm not in a hurry and want to avoid main roads if I can. Thanks again for the advice

14. OP
    OP
    Ice2911

Ice2911 Über Member

Thanks for the advice and encouragement

15. dim

dim Guest

I have the Brooks Cambium Carved C17 ....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice