LEJOG in 2017 while I still can, help with which bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
I am reaching a round numbered birthday and this ride is something I planned to do in my 20s but never came off. While I still can I want to ride LEJOG at a leisurely, enjoying the views, stop when I want type of ride. I'm not sure if I can find someone mad enough to do this with me. If I can it will be a self planned B and B type of tour. If not I might look at joining an organised ride. Just started looking for a bike and local shop are recommending a Genesis tour de fer. Anyone have any experience of this make of bike? I'm sure it would do the job but are there better options? I want to get the bike early so I can do some training and get used to riding a more laden bike especially up hills. Ive also started looking at route on end to end a safe way., has anyone used this? Any advice gratefully received, thank you.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I am reaching a round numbered birthday and this ride is something I planned to do in my 20s but never came off. While I still can I want to ride LEJOG at a leisurely, enjoying the views, stop when I want type of ride. I'm not sure if I can find someone mad enough to do this with me. If I can it will be a self planned B and B type of tour. If not I might look at joining an organised ride. Just started looking for a bike and local shop are recommending a Genesis tour de fer. Anyone have any experience of this make of bike? I'm sure it would do the job but are there better options? I want to get the bike early so I can do some training and get used to riding a more laden bike especially up hills. Ive also started looking at route on end to end a safe way., has anyone used this? Any advice gratefully received, thank you.
Its probably not what you want to hear, not least because we all love buying bikes...but you can do lejog on any bike.

Just pace yourself accordingly. The roads are not challenging, the hills not that demanding and the weather, well it will be British.

I did mine with discover adventure, who organised absolutely everything. I spent about a tenner in the entire two weeks, it was all included.

If it helps to prepare...or motivate, check out a few blogs...here's mine

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lands-end-to-john-ogroats.155855/

dim

How about a Surly LHT? I did LEJOGLE on one in 2012. Very comfortable, reasonably fast.......you'll need to add mudguards, a decent saddle and a rear rack.

In terms of a route The CTC has a B&B route and a YHA of route, both worth following.

I have a Surly LHT .... mine has 26 inch wheels. I too am planning to do LEJOG and initially thought that I would use the Surly.

I'm in 2 minds though as I may/most probably will try and do it pretty fast (as fast as I can) and will most probably use my Specialized S-Works Transition....

I will travel light (backpack with a few light clothes), and a saddle bag with spare tubes etc, and a handlebar bag .... and a credit card

The Surly is extremely comfortable (I have a Gilles Berthoud Aravis saddle), but the bike is heavy and slow when you add full mudguards, pannier racks, pannier bags etc (especially on uphills and headwind) ....

average speed on a flat road with little or no wind is approx 5+km/hr slower than my other 2 bikes ... It does not sound like much, but if you ride 10hrs-12hrs a day, that equates to 50-60km/day slower .... multiply that by a few days and it's a lot... add some headwind and steep hills and the distance will even be greater .... and it makes a huge difference

My Surly will be used as my winter commuting bike and I will use it for a few leasurly 100-200km Audax rides but I doubt that I will use it for long rides such as LEJOG or PBP

Last edited:

dim

get one of these:
Specialized secteur disc: .... you can find these on ebay for approx £350-£450 ... light, fast, triple chainset, and you add add mudguards and a pannier rack. Fit good 28 wide tyres (I'd use Schwalbe Durano Plus as they are bombproof) , add a Brooks Cambium C17 Carved saddle and you are good to go
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Hang on a minute. Everyone is suggesting bikes that they would do it on instead of asnswering the question asked.

The Genesis Tdf gets great write ups and is well capable of Lejog. Its got everything you need and its a reasonable price. You dont need to spend more money.

Are there better bikes. Well what is a better bike? We all have our favourites but the Tdf is a good choice.

I would concentrate on what you intend to take with you. If you are doing B&Bs all the way you can get away with taking very little. Bearing in mind everyone takes far too much. The less weight, the less effort.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Back to original question, yes a TdF is a good choice, comfy steel frame, comes with guards and racks already included in the price, and dynamo lights I believe. Triple chainring so you have low gears for when your carrying a bit of kit. Do get the 2017 drop bar version, more hand positions = more comfort.

The surly LHT mentioned is also a good choice, but you'll need to buy guards and racks when doing a price comparison. (Bit of an ill advised gamble could be taken on guards if you think you can hit 10-12 consecutive dry days!)

Or you could go second hand on a similar spec touring bike.

You could also do it on an out and out race bike with a ruck sack, or a 1970s Raleigh Chopper.

Its probably not what you want to hear, not least because we all love buying bikes...but you can do lejog on any bike.

Just pace yourself accordingly. The roads are not challenging, the hills not that demanding and the weather, well it will be British.

I did mine with discover adventure, who organised absolutely everything. I spent about a tenner in the entire two weeks, it was all included.

If it helps to prepare...or motivate, check out a few blogs...here's mine

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lands-end-to-john-ogroats.155855/

Just read you LEJOG blog. Wonderful. Thanks for making the effort to document your trip.

Graham

Ajax Bay

Guru
it will be a self planned B and B type of tour.. . . local shop are recommending a Genesis tour de fer. . . . but are there better options? I want to get the bike early so I can . . . get used to riding a more laden bike especially up hills. Ive also started looking at route
If you are planning to do this B&B, you need not carry much stuff, so don't concern yourself with "riding a more laden bike", not until the last month or so before your end-to-end. Carrying close to what you plan to take (and how you plan to carry it) is more testing the carriage system and robustness, rather than fitness or bike handling. Of course how much you carry depends on your standards of sartorial elegance overnight and eating out.
The Genesis Tdf looks lovely (and another has mentioned the need to decide whether to go for flat or drop bars). But it's a lot of money, so you need to consider what other cycling you might do before and/or after an end-to-end. I recommend you get a (much) cheaper bike to discover how you feel about some of this stuff, and then, with that knowledge gained, get a bike (second hand, unless you are a must buy new person) for the end-to-end.
Normal brakes will be fine for this type of cycling. Discs are not needed (see comments on load below). On the other hand, discs will allow a wider tyre which might afford more comfort. Also you will not be riding at night so the generator hub is a significant additional expense: one you probably don't need. The chainset is 44-32-22. This is very much a touring triple, anticipating you carrying heavy loads and looking for some serious hills. See total weight comments below.
The wheels are both 36 spoke with good rims, which will mean good strong wheels, probably stronger than you need, but if you are 16+ stone then well worth having strong wheels. This bike is designed for the 4 panniers and rack bag brigade (carrying camping kit and and 30+kg). It needs to be strong for that, and discs give it stopping power. At 15kg plus, this is not a light bike, but it's steel.
As far as a route is concerned, loads of planning fun to be had by looking at the options and planning your own.
Here is a link to my post where I attempted to list the factors and questions to take into account / consider.
@robgul is an expert and will direct you to his wonderful website, as well as offering his comments, I hope. Join the Touring Cyclists Club.

Top Bottom