Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Northern England

• Scotland South

• Scotland North

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ferret fur

Just to help folks get an idea of potential interest. How about this; Are you interested in participating in the CC LEJOG relay?

PaulB

Legendary Member
Count me in.

simon_brooke

I'll do any leg in Scotland, or drive a support vehicle, or do (a share of) the 'O' thing. Or any combination of the above. Provided it's not at Easter or between June 6th and July 6th 2010.

I've experience of organising long distance cycle relays, and that experience says that what's critical for time is slick hand-overs - which, in this case, means everyone knowing exactly where the handover points are, exactly where the baton is at any time, and that the next rider will be on station, ready and waiting when the baton arrives. You can waste a HECK of a lot of time at handover points.

Rolling handovers would be faster - new rider starts just before the baton holder arrives, pass the baton from bike to bike, then the former baton holder stops. This isn't so much because of time spent braking and accelerating as if both riders are stopped they'll chat while stopped (and then the support crew will arrive and they'll start chatting too). If you hand the baton over rolling, you do the chatting while rolling.

So we need a telephone crew alerting the next five riders to ETA at their handover point (and making sure they will be there and ready on time), as well as a support vehicle on the road which updates the telephone crew on position and any delays, and carries spare wheels - start with a couple of spare fronts, one spare Campag and one spare Shimano rear, if a rider swaps a wheel the support crew will lend him/her a wheel to the next handover point and then hand him/her his own wheel back - whether fixed or not depends on time.

Given that we're likely to be on the road up to 60 hours, it isn't wise or safe that it be the same road support crew the whole way - divide the route into roughly hundred mile segments and assign a support car to each segment. Similarly the telephone crew need to work shifts.

As a target to beat, why not look for forty-two hours - after all, each rider has what is in effect a ten mile time trial, so a 20mph average should not be impossible. And, it's the Answer.

peanut

simon_brooke said:
As a target to beat, why not look for forty-two hours - after all, each rider has what is in effect a ten mile time trial, so a 20mph average should not be impossible. And, it's the Answer.

some sensible points made there but I would disagree with the time trial element which is nonsense.

This will be the first time evr so there is no time to beat. We will be setting the record whether it be 48 hours or 10 days .

most of CC members that will be doing this are not capable of doing 20mph for 18 miles ffs;) This must be open to all CC members whatever their ability if we are to achieve this in the right spirit

Racing on open roads in the dark are you crazy ;)

We just need to be sure that the 'batton' is passed on safely without accident and the course completed to set a record .

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I wouldn't mind doing a leg but I'm definitely not one of the faster people on here (in fact one of the slower ones) but I don't mind being a back up rider if that would be better.

PaulB

Legendary Member
We should place a message inside the baton to be written by someone in JoG (or LE if we're doing it that way - shouldn't that be easier as we'd be travelling DOWN south then?) to be delivered to someone waiting at the other end. That's what we do in our long-distance running relays here.

peanut

I don't think it would be safe to pass anything personaly.
Imagine you are on the road in the dusk ,knackered after your spirited 18 mile turn . You reach for your batton in your rear jersey pocket whilst riding along next to another rider who is also riding one handed next to you and suddenly one of you hits a pothole or drain cover ..mmmmm...

We are proposing to do that whilst rolling 50 times half of the handovers in the dark ;):biggrin::biggrin:

where do we keep a batton anyway whilst cycling ?

No I reckon it would be much safer and more practical to just touch a handover like in swimming relays. Don't see swimmers handing over battons ;):biggrin::biggrin:

PaulB

Legendary Member
peanut said:
I don't think it would be safe to pass anything personaly.
Imagine you are on the road in the dusk ,knackered after your spirited 18 mile turn . You reach for your batton in your rear jersey pocket whilst riding along next to another rider who is also riding one handed next to you and suddenly one of you hits a pothole or drain cover ..mmmmm...

We are proposing to do that whilst rolling 50 times half of the handovers in the dark :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

where do we keep a batton anyway whilst cycling ?

No I reckon it would be much safer and more practical to just touch a handover like in swimming relays. Don't see swimmers handing over battons :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

How spirited! But then what's to stop people just setting off before the previosu guy's in? It happens all the time, especially when the previous person doesn't show up or has missed a turning/had a puncture and the waitee gets impatient. No, there should be at least something carried from one end to the other. Whether it's a baton or a drinks bottle or whatever, SOMETHING should make the entire journey.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
peanut said:
No I reckon it would be much safer and more practical to just touch a handover like in swimming relays. Don't see swimmers handing over battons :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hi -5's would be fine I suspect, i had thought about a jersey or something easy to carry but it reality a stop, high 5 and other rider starts would be fine... we are not pro's and I dont really want to many injuries.

Top Bottom