Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Northern England

• Scotland South

• Scotland North

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ball

I think the idea of passing over a bottle is a very good idea. Assuming everyone has two bottle cages, we could all have one full bottle as that should be all that is necessary for 18 miles, and keep one empty cage for the baton bottle. It would be very easy to pass an empty bottle over and stick it in the empty cage non?

As for the possibility of doing a leg, I should say that I am based in London but I am willing to travel as far South as needed or indeed up to the Midlands to take part. I am very keen on getting involved and I think it would be well worth the trip :biggrin:

colly

Re member eR
I would be up for a leg. I'm in Yorkshire so not sure it would necessarily come over 'this side' but I could travel to wherever the route was even if it was to the west of the Pennines.

peanut

PaulB said:
How spirited! But then what's to stop people just setting off before the previosu guy's in? It happens all the time, especially when the previous person doesn't show up or has missed a turning/had a puncture and the waitee gets impatient. No, there should be at least something carried from one end to the other. Whether it's a baton or a drinks bottle or whatever, SOMETHING should make the entire journey.

the entire event will be scrutinised every second of the ride by the folk who will be ratifying the record attempt won't it :smile:

Provided the previous cyclist either touches or overtakes the next cyclist that is all that is required to make it a continuous relay. It will be 10x safer as well.

This has to be safe and practical for the Police and all the involved cycling bodies to approve it. Ever heard of 'risk assessments '?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I'm willing to have a go (but I'm not fast!).
North Lancs/Cumbria - might be willing to help out if volunteers in Scotland are short, depending on the dates (could tie it in with a bit of a general cycling break).

montage

God Almighty
peanut said:
the entire event will be scrutinised every second of the ride by the folk who will be ratifying the record attempt won't it :smile:

Provided the previous cyclist either touches or overtakes the next cyclist that is all that is required to make it a continuous relay. It will be 10x safer as well.

This has to be safe and practical for the Police and all the involved cycling bodies to approve it. Ever heard of 'risk assessments '?

I fail to see how passing a baton over is dangerous .... no harder than patting somebody on the back or giving somebody a drink..

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I think the bottle idea is a good one, many of us will have two bottle cages (although I don't) and those that dont can put the empty bottle in a back pocket/pannier wherever.

The idea of the starter writing a message in the bottle to be opened by the guy at the finish is quite a cool one...

Those that want to do rolling handovers can do, those that don't feel comfortable can just stop and hand over its not a big issue IMO

peanut

montage said:
I fail to see how passing a baton over is dangerous ...

why does that not surprise me ?B):biggrin:

Are you here looking to start an argument montage ?
or are you here to offer some help with the organising and volunteering to ride ?:smile:

bonj2

Can I just say we should establish one very important ground rule: The baton has GOT to be passed while in motion - i.e. the next rider starts accelerating as the previous one is approaching, and they ride alongside for a bit and hand it over while cycling, they must absolutely NOT stop for a chat!

bonj2

peanut said:

What "cycling bodies" are going to be "involved", and what is their involvement going to be?
Why does it need their approval?
Why do you need a risk assessment to go on a bike ride?

peanut

Wigsie said:
I think the bottle idea is a good one, many of us will have two bottle cages (although I don't) and those that dont can put the empty bottle in a back pocket/pannier wherever.

The idea of the starter writing a message in the bottle to be opened by the guy at the finish is quite a cool one...

Those that want to do rolling handovers can do, those that don't feel comfortable can just stop and hand over its not a big issue IMO

quite . Rolling handovers are not essential.

How about putting a little bit of Cornish earth and a small wild flower in the bottle to plant up in JOG :smile:

peanut

bonj said:
Can I just say we should establish one very important ground rule: The baton has GOT to be passed while in motion - i.e. the next rider starts accelerating as the previous one is approaching, and they ride alongside for a bit and hand it over while cycling, they must absolutely NOT stop for a chat!

here we go....B) nothing interesting in P&L then Bonj ?:smile:

PaulB

Legendary Member
peanut said:
Ever heard of 'risk assessments '?

No.*

But I regularly do long distance running relays on the road and fell both solo and in pairs and we always have to carry batons which have to be taken from the start to the finish. One of them will have a letter in from the Mayor of one town to his opposite number in the borough where we finish and it's a nice touch. I accept running isn't cycling but I maintain something should be carried from the start to the end. It will also act as definitive proof that the whole and entire thing has been done. Personally I favour the letter isea as this cannot be faked but I'm open to suggestions as to something else that might be carried by the riders.

* If "risk assessments" are going to be carried out before, during or after my leg of the relay, I will simply not do it. And I suspect many others will feel the same way.

Top Bottom