Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Northern England

• Scotland South

• Scotland North

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I think a ride with 1000 riders doing a mile each would be even more impressive than our 50ish riders proposal - just think of the organisation involved!

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Spinney said:
I think a ride with 1000 riders doing a mile each would be even more impressive than our 50ish riders proposal - just think of the organisation involved!

I think 50 doing 18 ish miles each would beat 1000 doing a mile each. :eek:

montage

God Almighty
Will people be riding at the same time? being able to slipstream eachother etc? ..... this would bring the times right down

paddy01 said:
I thought it had already been established that time taken was irrelevant?

So did i Paddy ...

All this talk of enforced average speeds is going to be a non starter for me as there is no way i can average 20mph over the terrain around here !

I would imagine most riders will be looking to cover an 18 mile stint in around the 1 to 1.5 hour mark ?

Simon

paddy01

Jakes Dad said:
So did i Paddy ...

All this talk of enforced average speeds is going to be a non starter for me as there is no way i can average 20mph over the terrain around here !

I would imagine most riders will be looking to cover an 18 mile stint in around the 1 to 1.5 hour mark ?

Simon

Likewise, I'm just down the road from you and the profile round here would make it completely unrealistic. Which would hold true to the vast majority of site members.

If I'm to be honest, my initial reading of the idea was it to be a bit of fun as a community style event with an entry into the book of GWR as a happy coincidence.

If it's to be in anyway competitive then I'm afraid that would also rule it out for me. Regardless of whether I'm capable of said average, I lost any enthusiasm for competitive cycling a long time ago.

All the internet posturing about in motion batton transfers and the like will kill the idea stone dead I'll guarantee.

peanut

Paddy are you anywhere near Uffculme ? thats where Jakes Dad hopes to be starting his section
Not sure where the route goes prior to Uffculme but I'll see if I can work out a likely section in your neck of the woods from Cracknel's route map tomorrow if you like .

naturally all sections will need to be checked and finalised eventually but we could see if an obvious section suggests itself.

bonj2

montage said:
Will people be riding at the same time? being able to slipstream eachother etc? ..... this would bring the times right down

yes, even though only one will be the 'official' baton carrier.

paddy01

peanut said:
Paddy are you anywhere near Uffculme ? thats where Jakes Dad hopes to be starting his section
Not sure where the route goes prior to Uffculme but I'll see if I can work out a likely section in your neck of the woods from Cracknel's route map tomorrow if you like .

naturally all sections will need to be checked and finalised eventually but we could see if an obvious section suggests itself.

I'm in Exmouth (mouth of the river Exe, errrr obviously :biggrin: ) but I can easily travel to Uffculme and surrounding areas, it's only a few minutes up the M5.

Obviously there's fewer site members in some parts, so I'm happy to put in anything up to say 40 or 50 miles as a stint, assuming there's no avg speed requirement.

paddy01 said:
Likewise, I'm just down the road from you and the profile round here would make it completely unrealistic. Which would hold true to the vast majority of site members.

If I'm to be honest, my initial reading of the idea was it to be a bit of fun as a community style event with an entry into the book of GWR as a happy coincidence.

I think most participants will be leisure cyclist's and commuters so i cant see the speed issue winning to be honest plus Peanut's name has been put forward to be our regional co-ordinator and he does'nt want any form of average speed restrictions so i would imagine that we will be able to ride at a brisk but leisurely pace

Simon

bonj2

paddy01 said:

If it's to be in anyway competitive then I'm afraid that would also rule it out for me. Regardless of whether I'm capable of said average, I lost any enthusiasm for competitive cycling a long time ago.

All the internet posturing about in motion batton transfers and the like will kill the idea stone dead I'll guarantee.

It is just a bit o fun. There is no competitive element in that we're not competing with anyone else, as has been pointed out there is no existing record to beat. So whatever time we do it in it doesn't matter.
I think all we are saying is we might as well not dawdle unnecessarily and let those who *want* to try to put a bit of effort in to giving us a fighting chance of keeping the record we set for a bit of time, can do so.
The involvement of GWR is probably going to be worth its weight in gold not for the eventual 'glory' of holding a record but as a motivational thing to get people to get off their arses and do it.
Just think of it as if you're going to be in the book no matter what time we do it in, and just give it your all.

bonj2

Wigsie said:
I think 50 doing 18 ish miles each would beat 1000 doing a mile each. :biggrin:

ah - ok, well if that is the case (i'm not sure, but i'm not suggesting it's not), coupled with the fact that 50 riders is presumably going to be faster than ONE rider, then that would imply that there is, somewhere between the two, an *optimum* number of riders. Interesting.

Paddy ... looking at the Le-Jog route from cracknels map it looks like the stint before the one that i volounteered for would be either Crediton or Exeter to Tiverton Parkway ? and then from their up to Taunton

Simon

Top Bottom