Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Northern England

• Scotland South

• Scotland North

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

Ok I looked at some possible routes to Uffculme from Bodmin and the 2x 18 mile stints before Uffculme are both hilly ones .

There is a more direct route from Crediton but it would involve a 900 foot climb :biggrin: Unless you are a masochist I would suggest it would be easier and possibly faster to follow the valley river bed instead .

What do you think of these two sections paddy ?
www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=15548
www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=15547

don't forget to select the 'show elevation' option to see the hilly bits.

peanut said:
Ok I looked at some possible routes to Uffculme from Bodmin and the 2x 18 mile stints before Uffculme are both hilly ones .

There is a more direct route from Crediton but it would involve a 900 foot climb :biggrin: Unless you are a masochist I would suggest it would be easier and possibly faster to follow the valley river bed instead .

What do you think of these two sections paddy ?

Paddy ... i think we should move to Norfolk mate :biggrin:

Simon

paddy01

Jakes Dad said:
Paddy ... looking at the Le-Jog route from cracknels map it looks like the stint before the one that i volounteered for would be either Crediton or Exeter to Tiverton Parkway ? and then from their up to Taunton

Simon

Looking at Cracknells route, it doesn't go very near Crediton :biggrin:

Either way, let's leave it to Peanut to come up with the segments and when it's known who's up for it we can divvy up from there.

peanut

paddy01 said:
Looking at Cracknells route, it doesn't go very near Crediton :biggrin:

Either way, let's leave it to Peanut to come up with the segments and when it's known who's up for it we can divvy up from there.

Cracknel probably picked the fastest route ie A30 but its a very busy dangerous road perhaps not too suitable to do changeovers on ?

Bike hike wouldn't let me do a map on the A30 I'll try tomorrow.

We should really be discussing this on the main thread or its going to become difficult to keep track. I'll post the 2x suggested sections on the other thread and we'll take another looksee tomorrow.
Please feel free to offer some suggestions as to suitable routes.

paddy01

Doh, I should have refreshed the page before posting.

Peanut - Either of those 2 segements are fine mate. As I say, depending on how we fair with riders this far down, I could do a double segment if needed.

paddy01

peanut said:
Cracknel probably picked the fastest route ie A30 but its a very busy dangerous road perhaps not too suitable to do changeovers on ?

Bike hike wouldn't let me do a map on the A30 I'll try tomorrow.

We should really be discussing this on the main thread or its going to become difficult to keep track. I'll post the 2x suggested sections on the other thread and we'll take another looksee tomorrow.
Please feel free to offer some suggestions as to suitable routes.

Agree fully there. It's the organisation that'll make or break this as an event, a structure for which is needed before it's gets to the nitty gritty.

peanut

paddy01 said:
Doh, I should have refreshed the page before posting.

Peanut - Either of those 2 segements are fine mate. As I say, depending on how we fair with riders this far down, I could do a double segment if needed.

Double segment eh ? your other name wouldn't be Pantani would it ?:biggrin:;)

Wigsie

Nincompoop
paddy01 said:
Agree fully there. It's the organisation that'll make or break this as an event, a structure for which is needed before it's gets to the nitty gritty.

I totally agree... I think we need to sort out an event organisation team and identify regional managers/organisers with one overlord while the GWR are investigating and coming up with the rules/regulations. As they may well come up with some rules that means we have to change our plans.

They estimate 4 weeks for this to come out.

So my nominations for organising team?

Peanut - (south) west coast massive.
Will - founder and inspiration

peanut

Wigsie said:
I totally agree... I think we need to sort out an event organisation team and identify regional managers/organisers with one overlord while the GWR are investigating and coming up with the rules/regulations. As they may well come up with some rules that means we have to change our plans.

They estimate 4 weeks for this to come out.

So my nominations for organising team?

Peanut - (south) west coast massive.
Will - founder and inspiration

We need a good overlord to oversee the whole operation and organise the area managers may I nominate you Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
peanut said:
We need a good overlord to oversee the whole operation and organise the area managers may I nominate you Wigsie

:biggrin::blush: Thanks, I am not sure I have the crdentials.... Will quite happily take any organisational role but maybe someone a little more Anal with a better eye for detail may suit the role.

I would suggest we need an organiser to cover 10 stretches each.

Each organiser must then find a support vehicle with a substitute rider to cover those 10 stretches (180 ish miles/10-12 hours ish on the road), they may need a couple of subordinates as aides to be a few handovers ahead of them at each step to ensure things are in place and give them time to inform riders/substitutes etc in the case of a breakdown or failure to turn up.

Whether the organiser actually rides is another matter and probably up to them, if they have an aide/helper then they could probably do one of the first/last stretches in their area.

peanut

Wigsie said:
:biggrin::blush: Thanks, I am not sure I have the crdentials.... Will quite happily take any organisational role but maybe someone a little more Anal with a better eye for detail may suit the role.

nonsense ..:laugh: everything you have said and done has made perfect sense. You have already laid the groundwork.
Your suggestion for 10x ish regional organisers and support vehicles, logistics, communications etc is starting to bring it home to me how much work this is going to take to organise .phew.:blush:

It occurs to me that there is little point in us trying to reinvent the wheel when others have already gone before and done all this. We should try and search out and collate experience from other lejog attempts.

This is really gathering pace. I wonder if the time has come to ask Shaun if he can help us with with a sub forum with limited access to those members involved in organising this . ? We already seem to be running two seperate threads .?

We could publish progress on locked threads as we go so that everyone can see how things are progressing and can extract stuff from a LEJOG contributions thread where everyone can offer help and advice and ideas etc.

peanut said:
It occurs to me that there is little point in us trying to reinvent the wheel when others have already gone before and done all this. We should try and search out and collate experience from other lejog attempts.

Screenman has just confirmed on the other thread that the relay record is at 39hrs 10mins + 19 seconds so an average speed of 22+ mph is needed to beat that record

I'l second Will & Wigsie as event organisers

Simon

Top Bottom