Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Northern England

• Scotland South

• Scotland North

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
I live in the Glasgow area, but I have family in the North East of Scotland so if we are short of bodies up there, then I can help out.

On the point of risk assessments, then common sense says that the most direct route is not necessarily the most appropriate for a cycle relay and high speed trunk roads should be avoided as far as possible.

peanut

bonj said:
not really, no ;);)

:rolleyes::biggrin:

dodgy

I think I might be wavering now I've seen the clipboard carrying types out ;) Risk Assessments? Oh dear god no...

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I am not sure ground rules for handovers are such a good idea, closer to the time I would expect the riders that are doing handovers to have met or at least exchanged telephone numbers and discussed/agreed their strategy for the handover.

In all reality there is likely to be a number of riders alongside the official bottle carrier (and maybe a support vehicle) so the likelyhood is that two cake lovers (mentioning no names... you know who you are) won't sit down for a bite to eat and a cuppa during the handover period.

PaulB

Legendary Member
This "risk assessment" thing has begun to annoy me already. I just want to know in advance a specific location and time I need to be at to take over for my leg and cycle to an agreed hand-over spot so the next rider can do the his or her stage. It's not rocket science. A few mobile numbers and a week's planning* should be all it takes.

And someone who lives in/near Lands End (or John o'Groats) to write a letter of course;)

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I have no doubt this will take a fair bit of organising but whoever becomes the main organiser needs to keep this a little light hearted... no risk assessments or trying to enforce compulsory moving handovers or minimum average speeds.

Can we do this without losing the friendly aspect?

PaulB

Legendary Member
Wigsie said:
so the likelyhood is that two cake lovers (mentioning no names... you know who you are)

I object! This is blatant discrimination against beer drinkers!!!

Yours, OUTRAGED of Colne.

bonj2

dodgy said:
I think I might be wavering now I've seen the clipboard carrying types out ;) Risk Assessments? Oh dear god no...

Yep. the minute you start waving clipboards around, people will shy away. People just want to go on a bike ride, they don't want to have to fill in forms and be processed by companies.

Wigsie said:
I am not sure ground rules for handovers are such a good idea, closer to the time I would expect the riders that are doing handovers to have met or at least exchanged telephone numbers and discussed/agreed their strategy for the handover.

In all reality there is likely to be a number of riders alongside the official bottle carrier (and maybe a support vehicle) so the likelyhood is that two cake lovers (mentioning no names... you know who you are) won't sit down for a bite to eat and a cuppa during the handover period.

I'm sure ground rules are in fact necessary Wigsie. We could have a "pretend" (;)) relay for those who all they want to do is stand around having a chat, sit filling their gob with cakes, or take pictures of themselves at the top of hills, in the same way that parents often have plastic toy tools to occupy their kids while they're doing DIY so that they can pretend they're doing a bit as well.
Another ground rule would have to be at the point of handover, both cyclists must be going at at least 20mph.

peanut

PaulB said:
This "risk assessment" thing has begun to annoy me already. I just want to know in advance a specific location and time I need to be at to take over for my leg and cycle to an agreed hand-over spot so the next rider can do the his or her stage. It's not rocket science. A few mobile numbers and a week's planning* should be all it takes.
And someone who lives in/near Lands End (or John o'Groats) to write a letter of course;)

take it easy Paul no need to get all agitated yet. No-one knows yet what will be required but you can be sure that if we are going to apply for a record validation that there will naturally be a degree of red tape.
Even if there were risk assessments done they would not be on you personally but on the event logistics and operation as a whole.
You can't expect to have maybe 100+ riders and support vehicles and friends spectators and hangers -on plus newspapers etc passing through 10 Counties and not expect some interest from some official bodies

Lets all wait and see what the requirements will be if any before throwing our toys out ;);)

PaulB

Legendary Member
And on a non-contentious point, all will either be wearing helmets or none wearing them, right?

peanut

PaulB said:
And on a non-contentious point, all will either be wearing helmets or none wearing them, right?

I expect it will be best left up to each individual rider to decide don't you ?;)

Wigsie

Nincompoop
PaulB said:

Not hugely helpful... it's comments like this that see beer drinkers discriminated against Paul. ;) ;)

As there is no legal requirement I cannot see it being anything but a discretionary choice for each rider.

bonj2

peanut said:
take it easy Paul no need to get all agitated yet. No-one knows yet what will be required but you can be sure that if we are going to apply for a record validation that there will naturally be a degree of red tape.
Even if there were risk assessments done they would not be on you personally but on the event logistics and operation as a whole.
You can't expect to have maybe 100+ riders and support vehicles and friends spectators and hangers -on plus newspapers etc passing through 10 Counties and not expect some interest from some official bodies

Lets all wait and see what the requirements will be if any before throwing our toys out ;);)
Surely if we are applying for record validation there must be a maximum number of riders? Otherwise what if you had 1000 riders - it would be an organisational nightmare, but they would have to do less than a mile each, which wouldn't exactly be hard...

peanut

bonj said:
Surely if we are applying for record validation there must be a maximum number of riders? Otherwise what if you had 1000 riders - it would be an organisational nightmare, but they would have to do less than a mile each, which wouldn't exactly be hard...

actually thats a very good point Bonj .;)
peanut picks himself up from the floor ;):biggrin:;)

In order to set a record all criteria that effects the record needs to be established . Presumably that will include the number of designated riders .
If we nominate 50 riders the next group could nominate 25 and win a different record I guess. in order for anyone to beat us they would have to challenge us on exactly our established terms

Wigsie

Nincompoop
peanut said:
actually thats a very good point Bonj .:eek:
peanut picks himself up from the floor :sad::biggrin:;)

In order to set a record all criteria that effects the record needs to be established . Presumably that will include the number of designated riders .
If we nominate 50 riders the next group could nominate 25 and win a different record I guess. in order for anyone to beat us they would have to challenge us on exactly our established terms

Its something that was mentioned in previous posts, there are likely to be masses of volunteers for densly populated area's so large groups cycling together may occur, however there will need to be a list of 50 and an official rider that is the only one that carries the bottle/baton thingy... pacemakers, supporters etc don't really matter as long as they don't take the relay item from the official rider.

I guess niggly points like this will be settled when we hear from the GWR people.

Top Bottom