Les Mis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doseone

Guru
Got dragged kicking and screaming to go and see this last night. I absolutely loved it, really thought it was fantastic and was completely gripped the whole way through.

Anyone else seen it? What did you think?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm intending to see it but a bit pushed for time to go and see it.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Scared to let Mrs A_T see the film, she weeps bucketloads, each time she watches the DVD of the stage production and when we went to see it a few years ago, though the songs in the stage version get me too.
A friend's wife went to see it with her friends and was so overcome with the emotion of it she had to be admitted to hospital suffering with transient global amnesia afterwards which completely freaked everyone out for 2 days. She's back home and OK now but apparently that isn't uncommon after emotional trauma, so watch it with detachment!

Hotblack Desiato

Got dragged kicking and screaming to go and see this last night. I absolutely loved it, really thought it was fantastic and was completely gripped the whole way through.

Anyone else seen it? What did you think?

Yes ditto. Very good it was; I was surprised. One of the rare occasions when I have been to a film that got a standing ovation from the audience! (I have also read the book some while ago. Easily as good as the film but very long and requires more imagination)

Hotblack Desiato

[QUOTE 2278472, member: 259"]I had to study the book when I was seventeen. As usual, it was enough to put me off the whole thing for about 35 years.[/quote]

Yes, I can understand that.

Not my cup of tea TBH.

I eventually gave in to all the hype and watched Chicago and Mamma Mia, and while The Miserables might be in a different league those two were enough to put me off the whole musical genre for life.

I still rue the fact I'll never get that time back again.

I'm guessing here, but is Russel Crowe's character normally acted by a singer?

Apart from that miscasting, loved the film.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Also one of the few films I've seen where spontaneous applause broke out at the end.
I thought Anne Hathaway's rendition of I Dreamed A Dream was astonishing. Whether the judges think her supporting actress nomination is worthy of an Oscar on the strength of that, and the limited time she was actually on screen is another matter.
Nice piece of direction when the camera pulls upwards from the barricades to show the soldiers approaching from adjacent streets.
Sad pedant point - there's a quick shot of the Colonne de Juillet, but this wasn't built until 1849, when the action on the barricades was set in 1832.

Mind you, Russell Crowe was a good choice for Javert, but he can't sing for toffee.

vickster

Legendary Member
Loved it too, but then I have seen it on stage about 10 times.
Russell Crowe was ok but the acting front but his singing made me cringe! Philip Quast, another Australian actually, who sings the role on all of the major international recordings is utterly superb, so old Gladiator did have a lot to live up to...and fell pitifully short :whistle:

And Hugh Jackman, oh my :wub: Anne Hathaway stole the show for me, fantastic voice and acting

If you are one for crying in films, I guarantee, you could pretty much weep from start to finish :cry:

Sad pedant point - there's a quick shot of the Colonne de Juillet, but this wasn't built until 1849, when the action on the barricades was set in 1832.

The barricades scenes were filmed in that well known French location............... Greenwich National Maritime Museum!

Top Bottom