Les Mis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

It seems to be getting good reviews... I must admit to being tempted. It's not my thing as a rule, and even the extracts I've seen give me the sense I wouldn't enjoy it (I think the only 'musical' I've really enjoyed was Dennis Potter's 'Pennies From Heaven'!), but I'm open to experience. I think I can assume it won't be dubbed here in France!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It seems to be getting good reviews... I must admit to being tempted. It's not my thing as a rule, and even the extracts I've seen give me the sense I wouldn't enjoy it (I think the only 'musical' I've really enjoyed was Dennis Potter's 'Pennies From Heaven'!), but I'm open to experience. I think I can assume it won't be dubbed here in France!
Cabaret was the last, and possibly only one, I enjoyed.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
[QUOTE 2279045, member: 259"]Have you ever seen the Producers? :laugh:[/quote]
Many moons ago but I think I got bored with it. Springtime for Hitler was a classic though!

I've seen Les Mis in the theatre and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll go to watch this if only to see how well it tranfers to the big screen, initial impressions from reviews seem good.

Falwheeler

Took my wife to see it last night as it was her birthday. I didn't expect to like it and I was quite correct but she thought it was great which I suppose is the main thing. Guess the clue is in the name

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just back from the Motion Picture house. Thought it was EPIC.
Anne Hathaway just steals the show for me, though Hugh Jackman was brill too, Helena Bonham Carter is just as she appears in Waitrose ....
Crowe's singing is pretty poor, but I don't think it detracts from the film.

I'd never seen the show or read the book, so it was my first intro to the whole Les Mis thing. Great story well told, well acted, competently sung and beautifully filmed. Who needs 3D?

A must see.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Anne Hathaway just steals the show for me, though Hugh Jackman was brill too, Helena Bonham Carter is just as she appears in Waitrose ....

I'd never seen the show or read the book, so it was my first intro to the whole Les Mis thing. Great story well told, well acted, competently sung and beautifully filmed. Who needs 3D?

A must see.

Same here... took the boss to see it last night and we both loved it. The harmonies were lovely, the two songs coming in at once.. it was good to be able to pick up the full story from the film too.

Managed to stay dry-eyed too, thanks mainly to irritation due to the person in the seat behind kicking my seat every now & then to make sure I was awake, and the person next to her putting her feet up over the seat next to me.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Loved it, absolutely loved it. Apart from the new song. Urgh. Why cut fantastic lines from existing songs to put that in?

So only 8/10 from me ... Well, maybe 8.5 ... 8.9? Oh go on then, 9/10 but that's my final offer.

Oh, and it's a good thing I enjoyed it as it's been a fortnight since I saw it and I'm still humming the tunes to myself (and singing out loud if I'm absolutely certain nobody can hear me).

OP
OP
Doseone

Doseone

Guru

A must see.

Agree with all of that, except (and I may be on my own here) that I thought Crowe's singing was OK. Anne Hathaway's I Dream a Dream was just out of this world. I didn't know Sasha Baron Cohen was in it - he was great. They were all superb, but we both thought the little boy who played Gavroche was excellent.

It was my first experience of Les Mis as well and I want to see it again now!

tony111

Veteran
They've done a good job . It was easier to follow the story in the film, but the stage version is more emotional. I'll give it 9/10

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 2278402, member: 259"]Yes, me too, didn't want to go and really enjoyed it. I didn't even realise Hugh Jackman could sing - I only really knew him as Wolverine![/quote]

a lot of people don't . I didn't until i watched an interview with him many years ago and he talked about his early stage career in musical theatre. damn good actor.

I bought wifey the highlights of the cast recording CD on saturday and she hasn't stopped listening to it yet ! apparently we are going next weekend

Top Bottom