Les Vince Cyclemaker of Bath info.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Stamford

Stamford

I,m just trying to research the history before I decide what to do.I don't think I will keep them as I think they would benefit froma total overhaul ,and I do t have the time.I would like to get at least one on the road and take it for a spin.I,ll see how things are looking once I've cleaned them up.

Attachments

• IMG_1008.JPG
    IMG_1008.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1010.JPG
    IMG_1010.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1013.JPG
    IMG_1013.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1014.JPG
    IMG_1014.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 64
Are we playing a spot the difference competition?:laugh:

How many have you spotted so far?

They look nice . I'll take a better look now.

I've an L.R. Vince, born 1904, died 23rd9 April 1973. Buried in Bath.

Name also comes up for Bath, New Hampshire, USA.
Quite possibly the top one. I'm having a think! That would make him 26 in 1930. The First World War decimated the male population, meaning that a lot of jobs were taken on by younger men. A picture of the back of the shop in Walcott Street was taken in the 30's.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I,m just trying to research the history before I decide what to do.I don't think I will keep them as I think they would benefit froma total overhaul ,and I do t have the time.I would like to get at least one on the road and take it for a spin.I,ll see how things are looking once I've cleaned them up.

Please please do not touch the paintwork on either just give them an oily rag wipeover and some new cables etc etc

OP
OP
Stamford

Stamford

One of the serial numbers is visible the other has been painted over.Also,the difference in components is also strange,I stand to be corrected.The bar tape and background colour where the badges are different on each bike.Both have nice old cranks that look the same sizes,one without markings and the other Simplex Proffesionel.The stems are different lengths ,one unmarked the other GB Kromo.The front derailleurs are totally different,one (Shimano 600)is adjusted via downtube shifters and the other has a lever to be operated by hand.Both saddles are the same and the wheels.I think the similarities may suggest the same rider for both Bikes,maybe one for road riding and one for Touring as it looks like one had a rack fitted.I totally agree the paint is beautiful.If it were just a case of an oily rag I would go ahead,but they're crying out for some re-chroming and real attention.If anyone wants some detailed photos,please let me know

OP
OP
Stamford

Stamford

The top tube on one bike has a decal with "Northgate" on it.Maybe the rider?
Also ,the rear wheels are the same for each bike.Normandy,made in France on them.The front wheel hub on one bike has corroded and the other has Ambra Superga,Made in Italy and a motif of an eagle with a wheel in its claw.

Attachments

• IMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_1015.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1017.JPG
    IMG_1017.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 51

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

what ever you do please consider myself as very interested in one or both of them

Top Bottom