Wales : Powys Let's get together.... Hay-on-Wye cycle camp 12-16th Sept 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Day 3, trip to dad's.
Today was more of a utility ride, but in keeping with the previous 2 days kicked off with an f'ing big climb, followed by another even bigger climb!!
Climb one saw me viewing the Gospel Pass summit from across the valley. Today the peaks were shrouded in early morning cloud. The mist burned off later in the day requiring the application of suncream again (really couldn't have chosen better weather for this weekend if I had tried..)
IMG_20190915_090656529_HDR.jpg

The climb out of Llangynidr over the top towards Blaenavon must easily equal or surpass the famed Tumble in terms of gradient and duration (and I speak as someone who has tumbled in both directions....) as it seemed to go on FOREVER! Partway up I stopped briefly to shed some of the clothing I had put on to ward off the early morning chill. It was getting hot so any excuse to stop was welcome, I also took the opportunity to jump over a gate to pee in a field and munch on an Eccles cake (fly pie, yum yum :laugh:).
When I finally reached Blaenavon/Big Pit I was rewarded with the site of little steam trains and some old 1960s diesel locomotives, one again I was in heaven. A bit weird for a 46 yr young lad like me?
IMG_20190915_111446283.jpg

From here it was a glorious 10+ mile steady descent along the Torfaen cycle track that follows the route of the old train track all the way into the town of Cwmbran where my dad lives. Here I got the opportunity to be the best uncle in the world, delivering presents and card to my soon to be 9 neice and spending 2hrs at my dad's.
I stayed s long as I could but by 3.30 had to make a move.
Roughly 40 miles still to go, and more if I decided to go for the second imperial century of the weekend.
The rest is history. I got the century and the last 20-30 miles just got faster and faster. I don't know where it came from (maybe the snickers bar and the final fly pie about 15 miles from the end helped?) But I rocked along those final miles at speeds around 17-20mph.

An amazing weekend. I have never ridden so far or so hard in one weekend ever before. It's a shame nobody else joined me but this also allowed me to challenge myself in a way I couldn't have otherwise done.
Hopefully I will be able to run this event again next year and some of you guys will come along and join me?
Trust me, it won't be nearly as extreme if there are other forum members on board :okay:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just been kicked out of the pub, time for the wibbly wobbly ride back to camp....

It's a hard life! At the White Lion Inn, Ross on Wye for lunch.

View attachment 485071

Apparently a 45 minute wait for food, don't know what I will do to pass the time..... :whistle:

50 miles done and only another 30 to do. Good job really :cheers:

It's a glorious day and getting warmer by the minute. Wish I could pick weather like this everytime I go camping....
One on the left looks interesting.
What's the yellow stuff?

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Is this happening again in 2020?
Could be, I do fancy a divorce :whistle:

Top Bottom