Let's have your hacks, tips and money saving ideas for beginners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm sure most of us are already aware of most of these but I thought many beginners might not be. Here are a couple:

IMG_0849.JPG

If you want a chai stay protector there are plenty for sale but you can make a great alternative yourself by using an old inner tube. Make a paper template and use it to cut the item. Secure with contact adhesive. You might have a shaped chainstay as I did where it's especially useful. Cost is zero. You could also wrap the stay in a strip of tubes if you wish.
There are many other uses for old inner tubes like ties for luggage or whatever, I'm sure others will make suggestions.

If you haven't got a pair of needle nose pliers separating a chain with a quick link can be a pain. An effective alternative is to use a length of wire or even a shoe lace to pull the ends and break the link.

IMG_0848.JPG

A chain holding tool can be simply made from a length of old wire coat hanger. Useful for when you need to join or measure the chain.

IMG_0850.JPG

Heigue'r

Veteran
Like the chain holding tool

If you have to lean your bike against a rough surface such as a galvanized sheffield stand, apply some duct tape or reflective stickers to the points of contact, ie top tube and upper part of forks.
Always rest your bike chain inwards so you dont brush your clothes agsinst oily transmission.

Cut the brake and gear outer cables with a spare piece of inner cable inside, so you don't squash the outer cable. Use a decent pair of sharp cable cutters too...
Genius!!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Best advice is watch instructional videos on youtube and avoid cycling forums. Though you'll get great advice you'll soon be doubting yourself. For starters you bought an expensive, to you, bike which turns out to be at the bargain basement end for forums. Then you'll read lots and look at shiny pictures and a lust will grow within you. It'll start small, better brake pads, maybe some extra light weight carbon bottle holders and, of course, a wheelset upgrade. But then the wheels are too good for the bike and it snowballs from there. Don't think you're safe if you're not into shiny bling and super speed, there's plenty of Brooks/Carradice/Rack goodness out there to open your wallet.

If you're new here, run, run now!!!!

Top Bottom