Let's have your hacks, tips and money saving ideas for beginners.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Cycleops, 21 Sep 2017.

1. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

I'm sure most of us are already aware of most of these but I thought many beginners might not be. Here are a couple:

IMG_0849.JPG

If you want a chai stay protector there are plenty for sale but you can make a great alternative yourself by using an old inner tube. Make a paper template and use it to cut the item. Secure with contact adhesive. You might have a shaped chainstay as I did where it's especially useful. Cost is zero. You could also wrap the stay in a strip of tubes if you wish.
    There are many other uses for old inner tubes like ties for luggage or whatever, I'm sure others will make suggestions.

If you haven't got a pair of needle nose pliers separating a chain with a quick link can be a pain. An effective alternative is to use a length of wire or even a shoe lace to pull the ends and break the link.

IMG_0848.JPG

A chain holding tool can be simply made from a length of old wire coat hanger. Useful for when you need to join or measure the chain.

IMG_0850.JPG

2. Heigue'r

Heigue'r Über Member

Like the chain holding tool

Illaveago, Alan O and Cycleops like this.
  3. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Über Member

If you have to lean your bike against a rough surface such as a galvanized sheffield stand, apply some duct tape or reflective stickers to the points of contact, ie top tube and upper part of forks.
    Always rest your bike chain inwards so you dont brush your clothes agsinst oily transmission.

4. Jason

Jason Senior Member

A plastic bag makes for a great saddle cover when the weather is wet. Saves having a wet bum , and can be tucked into the roof of your helmet to keep hair dry.

5. GuyBoden

GuyBoden Fat, old bloke, on an old bike, pedalling slowly.

And, if it falls over the rear gears won't get damaged...

Littgull, Saluki, Pat "5mph" and 3 others like this.
  6. GuyBoden

GuyBoden Fat, old bloke, on an old bike, pedalling slowly.

Cut the brake and gear outer cables with a spare piece of inner cable inside, so you don't squash the outer cable. Use a decent pair of sharp cable cutters too...

FishFright, HLaB, GlenBen and 6 others like this.
  7. Afnug

Afnug Everything you can imagine is real

If your helmets too big use a panty liner inside the rim to make it a snug fit, but don't use the one's with wings or you will look like Deputy Dog.

8. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

And don't cut the cables to length until you have threaded them.

9. MossCommuter

MossCommuter Guru

Genius!!

Bikepilot and Illaveago like this.
  10. Nibor

Nibor Über Member

I have a dart in my tool box to clean up the end after the cut.

Illaveago, MacB and MossCommuter like this.
  11. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Über Member

I use a dremel cutting disc on cables.

Saluki, Elysian_Roads and MacB like this.
  12. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

A disposable shower cap makes an effective helmet rain cover.

biggs682 likes this.
  13. MacB

MacB Lover of things that come in 3's

Best advice is watch instructional videos on youtube and avoid cycling forums. Though you'll get great advice you'll soon be doubting yourself. For starters you bought an expensive, to you, bike which turns out to be at the bargain basement end for forums. Then you'll read lots and look at shiny pictures and a lust will grow within you. It'll start small, better brake pads, maybe some extra light weight carbon bottle holders and, of course, a wheelset upgrade. But then the wheels are too good for the bike and it snowballs from there. Don't think you're safe if you're not into shiny bling and super speed, there's plenty of Brooks/Carradice/Rack goodness out there to open your wallet.

If you're new here, run, run now!!!!

14. youngoldbloke

Sandwich bags over your socks help keep your feet warm (and dry).

Saluki and RealLeeHimself like this.
  15. youngoldbloke

Clean your (rim) brake pads using an emery board, and a toothpick for the grooves, as soon as your brakes sound scratchy, and save wear on your rims..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice