Let's have your hacks, tips and money saving ideas for beginners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Get your chain, cassette and rings thoroughly clean - really, really clean. Use a minimum of lube. After every ride wipe all the muck off the chain. This will help keep the whole drive side clean and running smoothly. Search on here for "The Mickle Method" probably the best tip I've picked up on here.

Dust your spare tubes in talc and wrap in cling film or place in plastic bag. When you come to change a tube at the roadside it will be easy to handle, the tyre will roll on easily and you're hands will stay clean.

Clean your rims with white spirit after a ride.

Last edited:

Wobblers

Euthermic
Best advice is watch instructional videos on youtube and avoid cycling forums. Though you'll get great advice you'll soon be doubting yourself. For starters you bought an expensive, to you, bike which turns out to be at the bargain basement end for forums. Then you'll read lots and look at shiny pictures and a lust will grow within you. It'll start small, better brake pads, maybe some extra light weight carbon bottle holders and, of course, a wheelset upgrade. But then the wheels are too good for the bike and it snowballs from there. Don't think you're safe if you're not into shiny bling and super speed, there's plenty of Brooks/Carradice/Rack goodness out there to open your wallet.

If you're new here, run, run now!!!!

Yes! And if you get carried away you can end up spending all your time speccing up and building bikes but never riding them.... eh, MacB? :whistle:

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Don't know if we are still able to add to this thread, but always keep your wallet and phone in a ziploc baggie. That way, if there is a sudden downpour and your pockets or bag get soaked, your cash and ID cards are nice and dry, and no shorting out on your phone! This works well for hiking and especially kayaking, too!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Cold wet hands. Go to a service station toilets. Use the hand dryer to warm your hands and dry gloves. Grab some plastic diesel handling gloves from between the pumps and put them on under your gloves to get home with drier warmer hands.
Wearing disposable plastic gloves under your regular gloves will help keep your hands warm as well as dry - but put them on before you leave home!

ozboz

Guru
Wearing disposable plastic gloves under your regular gloves will help keep your hands warm as well as dry - but put them on before you leave home!

I've tried a few ways to keep hands warm , it the one part of winter riding I could do without ,
I'll give this a try !
NB Just wondering if the latex disposable gloves would do the same ?

Top Bottom