1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's have your hacks, tips and money saving ideas for beginners.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Cycleops, 21 Sep 2017.

1. PaulSB

PaulSB Guru

Get your chain, cassette and rings thoroughly clean - really, really clean. Use a minimum of lube. After every ride wipe all the muck off the chain. This will help keep the whole drive side clean and running smoothly. Search on here for "The Mickle Method" probably the best tip I've picked up on here.

Dust your spare tubes in talc and wrap in cling film or place in plastic bag. When you come to change a tube at the roadside it will be easy to handle, the tyre will roll on easily and you're hands will stay clean.

Clean your rims with white spirit after a ride.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2017
    Illaveago and ADarkDraconis like this.
  2. McWobble

McWobble Euthermic

Yes! And if you get carried away you can end up spending all your time speccing up and building bikes but never riding them.... eh, MacB? :whistle:

Illaveago and Moodyman like this.
  3. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

Foil around the toes in winter.

4. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

Cold wet hands. Go to a service station toilets. Use the hand dryer to warm your hands and dry gloves. Grab some plastic diesel handling gloves from between the pumps and put them on under your gloves to get home with drier warmer hands.

Last edited: 27 Sep 2017
  5. ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis Well-Known Member

Don't know if we are still able to add to this thread, but always keep your wallet and phone in a ziploc baggie. That way, if there is a sudden downpour and your pockets or bag get soaked, your cash and ID cards are nice and dry, and no shorting out on your phone! This works well for hiking and especially kayaking, too!

6. RealLeeHimself

RealLeeHimself Just keep peddling, just keep peddling...

Always carry a bunch of cable ties with you when out on the bike. They will fix a multitude of roadside problems.

If using a bike rack that’s mounted to the boot lid, get some foam pipe covering (or whatever it’s called) from a plumber’s merchants and put on the rack to stop frame rub.

7. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

Wearing disposable plastic gloves under your regular gloves will help keep your hands warm as well as dry - but put them on before you leave home!

8. Elysian_Roads

Elysian_Roads Well-Known Member

I always keep some disposable plastic gloves in the saddle pack for roadside repairs, helps keep my hands and the rest of the bike clean.

9. ozboz

ozboz Über Member

I've tried a few ways to keep hands warm , it the one part of winter riding I could do without ,
    I'll give this a try !
    NB Just wondering if the latex disposable gloves would do the same ?

10. cyberknight

cyberknight Guru

made my hands sweat as it kept the moisture in

biggs682 and raleighnut like this.
  11. bpsmith

bpsmith Veteran

+1 the above. Using them in the garage for any length of time results in sweaty hands. Just buy quality gloves.

12. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

I'd rather have moist warm hands than wet cold ones. They work for me anyway.

13. ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis Well-Known Member

Wheel guy at the LBS yesterday told me that Gorilla tape makes great rim tape! They use it for a lot, but I never thought of that.

sotkayak and Cycleops like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

Keep ‘em coming guys, I’m sure there are loads more.

ADarkDraconis and Elysian_Roads like this.
  15. cyberknight

cyberknight Guru

Poggies ftw