Let's have your hacks, tips and money saving ideas for beginners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
made my hands sweat as it kept the moisture in

Same here

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Calling @raleighnut !

54A47027-69C1-4880-B969-34312815B4DC.jpeg

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Went for a long ride along the trails today and the bike got caked in mud. Our hose is unhooked for the winter so it won't freeze, so I filled up the watering can with warm water from inside the house and gave her a good washing (an old rag for the worst of it and then just sprinkled the watering can gently over the grime.) The little streams from the rosette were better than using a bucket.

ChrisEyles

Guru
One of the best ways to learn to maintain everything on your bike(s) is to buy the cheapest clunker you can find on ebay/gumtree, strip it right down, and rebuild it. You will learn loads and won't stress too much about messing things up... Errr in all conscience I should probably warn that it can get addictive though!

I've tried a few ways to keep hands warm , it the one part of winter riding I could do without

I've two pairs of gloves I've used in the cold. Newer set bought by my son, neoprene-like with metallic tip for phone screens. Warm hands, but very sweaty.
Other set is an old set of cheap skiing gloves. Not so good in the wet, otherwise much better than the 'real' ones.

Don't go out and buy a full set of cycling clothing from the get-go - buy according to need. It's easiest to start out with clothes you may well have to hand: football shirt / running shirt, fleece, jogging bottoms, basic waterproof cagoule, lightweight walking shoes etc and build from there.

A lot of (cheaper) non-cycling sportswear can be incorporated into your everyday kit - running and football stuff for instance makes for good (wicking) base layers, while skiing thermals make nice mid layers when it's cold.

greenmark

Guru
Cut the brake and gear outer cables with a spare piece of inner cable inside, so you don't squash the outer cable. Use a decent pair of sharp cable cutters too...

Just did that - thanks for the advice to cut cables. Not sure how it helps so I'm off outside to see if riding with them cut is any better.

Last edited:

alicat

Legendary Member
A lot of (cheaper) non-cycling sportswear can be incorporated into your everyday kit - running and football stuff for instance makes for good (wicking) base layers, while skiing thermals make nice mid layers when it's cold.

Yep, that's so right. A jersey with pockets in the back is all you need to start off with.

Top Bottom