Let's have your hacks, tips and money saving ideas for beginners.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Cycleops, 21 Sep 2017.

1. PeteXXX

PeteXXX Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Don’t dump all of those plastic food containers straight into the recycling bin.
    Save a few to keep the nuts and bolts in when you take summat apart.
    Also useful if you have to soak any parts in degreaser.

2. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Same here

3. OP
    OP
    Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

4. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Illaveago likes this.
  5. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Don't waste money on driving lessons, cars, tax, fuel, parts or repairs and buy a bike instead. If you ever need a car, contact someone who already owns one... there's plenty about.

6. ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis Cardinal Member

Went for a long ride along the trails today and the bike got caked in mud. Our hose is unhooked for the winter so it won't freeze, so I filled up the watering can with warm water from inside the house and gave her a good washing (an old rag for the worst of it and then just sprinkled the watering can gently over the grime.) The little streams from the rosette were better than using a bucket.

Illaveago, Saluki, Cycleops and 4 others like this.
  7. ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles Veteran

One of the best ways to learn to maintain everything on your bike(s) is to buy the cheapest clunker you can find on ebay/gumtree, strip it right down, and rebuild it. You will learn loads and won't stress too much about messing things up... Errr in all conscience I should probably warn that it can get addictive though!

8. gazza_d

gazza_d Well-Known Member

Cycleops, Maenchi, Illaveago and 2 others like this.
  9. DCBassman

DCBassman Über Member

I've two pairs of gloves I've used in the cold. Newer set bought by my son, neoprene-like with metallic tip for phone screens. Warm hands, but very sweaty.
    Other set is an old set of cheap skiing gloves. Not so good in the wet, otherwise much better than the 'real' ones.

10. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

Don't go out and buy a full set of cycling clothing from the get-go - buy according to need. It's easiest to start out with clothes you may well have to hand: football shirt / running shirt, fleece, jogging bottoms, basic waterproof cagoule, lightweight walking shoes etc and build from there.

A lot of (cheaper) non-cycling sportswear can be incorporated into your everyday kit - running and football stuff for instance makes for good (wicking) base layers, while skiing thermals make nice mid layers when it's cold.

freiston, Illaveago, si_c and 5 others like this.
  11. greenmark

greenmark Veteran

Just did that - thanks for the advice to cut cables. Not sure how it helps so I'm off outside to see if riding with them cut is any better.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2018
  12. alicat

alicat Guru

Yep, that's so right. A jersey with pockets in the back is all you need to start off with.

Illaveago and Reynard like this.
  13. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

Do not buy cycling gear for winter. Get mountaineering gear, far more effective and cheaper.

14. Abody.EGY

Abody.EGY New Member

Long shoehorn can be very useful to keep dogs away while bikepacking, Specially in Asia.

Attached Files:

simon.r and ADarkDraconis like this.
  15. ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis Cardinal Member

Or a regular jacket with pockets, or any type of clothes with a backpack/saddlebag/fanny pack. Not everyone needs or wants jerseys, many people cycle in everyday clothing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice