Let's have your hacks, tips and money saving ideas for beginners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bikepilot

A tea light candle can be handy to rub on inner cables to revitalise them. Better than sprays which have habit of attracting dirt.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Line up your valve stem with a suitable logo on the tyre. That way when you get a puncture you should be able to narrow down the area of the tyre to inspect for the sharp.

A piece of cotton wool lightly rubbed on the inside of the tyre will often snag on the sharp you failed to find despite doing the above.....

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Unless it's raining, when it probably acts like glue.
Always best to dust talc over the inside of your tyres when changing tyres/tubes at home, though I don't think it acts like glue when wet anyway. I'll check next time I use the Johnson's Baby Talc ^_^

si_c

Guru
Here's a money-saving tip: If you make a habit of riding to distant railway stations and then catching the train home, why not train really hard so you get fit enough to cycle back? You will wear tyres and other bike parts out slightly more often but think of the saving on fares! :okay:
That's my cunning plan with commuting, save money so I can spend it on cake/chocolate/bike bits.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Unless it's raining, when it probably acts like glue.
- I think you're confusing it with flour .......

Don’t dump all of those plastic food containers straight into the recycling bin.
Save a few to keep the nuts and bolts in when you take summat apart.
Also useful if you have to soak any parts in degreaser.
For bits, i use the small flattish tins (ones the tops peel off with a ringpull) that the certain fish come in, mackerel, sardines etc.

Top Bottom