Let's have your hacks, tips and money saving ideas for beginners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Carry a teaspoon in the saddle pack - it's the perfect tool for removing the build up of mud on close fitting mudguards (having removed the wheel first).

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I disagree with this, clean the bike when it looks dirty. I don't touch the bike after each ride, I don't have the time given I commute to work 5 days on it. If it's a particularly wet day I'll give the chain a quick once over with a rag, but that's it. I do however clean the bike thoroughly (about half an hour - soapy water in a bucket with a sponge and a hose to wash everything off) at the weekend or on a friday.

It would be easy to go overboard and overthink it. Just have a bit of common sense - if you've been out on the bike on a warm, dry, sunny day, chances are the bike will be in the same condition as when you get back. Commuting at 8am on a weekday in winter with salt and grit on the roads in the pissing rain however...

Yes if this was the commuting forum I’d agree entirely. In my youth I commuted for years and more recently had a 36 mile round trip commute when health issues meant I couldn’t drive for a year. That meant leaving at 6.40am and usually returning between 7.30 and 8.30pm depending on the trains.

When I commuted one clean per week was all there was time for.

However this is the Beginners forum and I feel readers are more likely to be riding once or twice a week at most. I feel the advice is then different - more toward how to look after and maintain a bike in great condition.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And far better than cycling with a fly in your eye... :B)
Absolutely right ...

For those of you who don't think wearing eye protection when out cycling is necessary...
  • I rode with a glasses-free mate once who got hit in the eye by a large bluebottle on a fast descent. He almost crashed and by the time I got to him, his eye looked like he'd been punched by Mike Tyson! He developed the biggest, nastiest black eye I've ever seen.
  • When I bought my first pair of cycling glasses, I went out for a ride to try them out. The council had just resurfaced the local roads and there were loose chippings everywhere, and a 20 mph speed limit in place. A moron shot drove past me at high speed firing up a a shower of chippings behind him. One stone smacked hard into the centre of the right lens, cracking it. It was directly in front of my eye!
  • For the first in years, I went out without glasses on and a gust of wind picked up a load of grit and I got it in both eyes. I washed as much out of my eyes as I could but then had to ride home barely able to see.
I'd strongly recommend wearing eye protection every time you ride your bike.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If you wear SPD or SPDL shoes, check the bolts every now and then. I once tried to help someone look for a lost bolt.
No joy finding it, and his ride was over!
Next suggestion: carry a spare bolt.
(And a spare chain link)

Top Bottom