Let's Talk About Brakes ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BretonM

Hello all,

I'm interested in hearing your opinion on MTB brakes :

1) What is your favourite MTB brake ?

2) Why ?

3) How reasonably ( or unreasonably :laugh:) priced are said Brakes ?

4) Modulation and Stopping Power ?

Any input would be appreciated !!

Thanks.

Drago

Legendary Member
SLX. The sweet point betwixt price, performance, reliability , cost and general brakiness.

Cubist

Still wavin'
SLX, or XT. Nowt to choose between them apart from the bite-point adjuster. Well-designed, great stopping power, and affordable. Ergonomically excellent, with their one-finger levers, and cammed (servo-wave) resting positions meaning no more singing rotors. I used to be a Hope fanboi, but the last couple of Shimano iterations have put paid to that. When I was building bikes a year or two ago Shimano had the quality and ease of use edge over Avid, but there may have been improvements in their offerings since then.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

SLX, or XT. Nowt to choose between them apart from the bite-point adjuster. Well-designed, great stopping power, and affordable. Ergonomically excellent, with their one-finger levers, and cammed (servo-wave) resting positions meaning no more singing rotors. I used to be a Hope fanboi, but the last couple of Shimano iterations have put paid to that. When I was building bikes a year or two ago Shimano had the quality and ease of use edge over Avid, but there may have been improvements in their offerings since then.
How was your experience with the Hopes ?
What model did you have ?

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

Yes, hierachically, but in terms of performance there's not much in it.
I often find this to be true with shimano, much like the difference between XT and XTR components, despite the rather noticeable difference in price.

Jody

Stubborn git
SLX or XT for me also. They are powerful, cheap and have a great feel for general riding. I wouldn't go back to Avid and would be reluctant dropping big money on Hope brakes. Hope do make good looking stuff though.

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

SLX or XT for me also. They are powerful, cheap and have a great feel for general riding. I wouldn't go back to Avid and would be reluctant dropping big money on Hope brakes. Hope do make good looking stuff though.
I've found that my XT's are losing power after a significantly short period of time !
Disappointing considering they're only 3 months old !
It seems that after braking, a ticking sound can be heard from the rotors and they seem to heat up incredibly quickly.
Potentially looking for a change to Hope !!

Cubist

Still wavin'
How was your experience with the Hopes ?
What model did you have ?
I had some M4s. Lovely they were, and plenty of stopping power, but the feel was "progressive" compared with the Shimanos. They were user-serviceable, and needed to be, with Dot 4 fluid and loads of diaphragms and seals. They needed bleeding a fair bit, whereas the Shimanos are very much fit and forget....once they're sorted and bled once they rarely need touching until it's time to change pads.

One criticism of Shimano is that occasionally the seals on the caliper or reservoir fail, and you can't replace them without buying a whole new reservoir or caliper. Well, yer pays yer money and all that, but one of the reasons Hope built such a great reputation for customer service was because they had plenty of practice at replacing bits and pieces that didn't quite cut the mustard. Hope look far more beautiful.......

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I have LX trekking brakes on the SS. They are surprisingly good when coupled with 180mm rotors.

I have Avid Elixir 1s on the GT, which I bought off a bloke on another forum - they came straight off a new bike he bought. I must be lucky, because they haven't caused me any of the usual problems associated with these brakes.

The only problem I had was last summer - when the heat caused them to lock on - this was soon cured by upgrading the fluid from Dot 4.0 to Dot 5.1. That was the only time I have had to look at the fluid in 2 years.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I've found that my XT's are losing power after a significantly short period of time !
Disappointing considering they're only 3 months old !
It seems that after braking, a ticking sound can be heard from the rotors and they seem to heat up incredibly quickly.
Potentially looking for a change to Hope !!
Check your pads and get some finned ones if you are cooking them that quickly. Don't drag them!

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

I had some M4s. Lovely they were, and plenty of stopping power, but the feel was "progressive" compared with the Shimanos. They were user-serviceable, and needed to be, with Dot 4 fluid and loads of diaphragms and seals. They needed bleeding a fair bit, whereas the Shimanos are very much fit and forget....once they're sorted and bled once they rarely need touching until it's time to change pads.

One criticism of Shimano is that occasionally the seals on the caliper or reservoir fail, and you can't replace them without buying a whole new reservoir or caliper. Well, yer pays yer money and all that, but one of the reasons Hope built such a great reputation for customer service was because they had plenty of practice at replacing bits and pieces that didn't quite cut the mustard. Hope look far more beautiful.......
I'm thinking of an upgrade to some E4's myself.
Much prefer the look of the hopes !

I do have respect for Shimano and they're reasonable prices but can't quite get over the beauty, quality and Made in England-ness of them ^_^

OP
OP
BretonM

BretonM

I have LX trekking brakes on the SS. They are surprisingly good when coupled with 180mm rotors.

I have Avid Elixir 1s on the GT, which I bought off a bloke on another forum - they came straight off a new bike he bought. I must be lucky, because they haven't caused me any of the usual problems associated with these brakes.

The only problem I had was last summer - when the heat caused them to lock on - this was soon cured by upgrading the fluid from Dot 4.0 to Dot 5.1. That was the only time I have had to look at the fluid in 2 years.
So no bleeding in two whole years ?

Cubist

Still wavin'
I'm thinking of an upgrade to some E4's myself.
Much prefer the look of the hopes !

I do have respect for Shimano and they're reasonable prices but can't quite get over the beauty, quality and Made in England-ness of them ^_^
Exquisitely chiselled from a single billet of Mythril using tools fashioned from Elves' eyelashes. In Barnoldswick.

Top Bottom