Letter from TFL about ORN and Games Lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
TFL "knows" I'm a cyclist. I got this twice, once to the address I've used to register for Boris Bikes and other cycling related things. I've been sent updates about issues relating to cyclists at this email address, so I am very interested that this mail makes no mention of cycles. Note especially "Driving in a Games Lane will result in a £130 penalty charge."
From: Transport for London <Transport_for_London@info.tfl.gov.uk>
Subject: Important update for London road users
Date: 21 July 2012 10:05:18 GMT+01:00
To: tfl@<...deleted...>
Reply-To: Transport for London <tfl_eventsinlondon5-reply@info.tfl.gov.uk>

If you are having problems viewing this email, you can view a mobile version or an online version. To ensure our email updates are delivered to your inbox, please add Transport_for_London@info.tfl.gov.uk to your email address book.

header_tfl.gif
header_logo.gif

Home
other_navvert.gif

Live travel news
other_navvert.gif

Getting around
other_navvert.gif

Tickets

Dear Ms <deleted>,

I am writing to let you know that the final preparatory works on the Olympic Route Network (ORN) are underway this weekend, so London’s road network will look and feel very different by Monday morning.

The ORN and Games Lanes restrictions will be apply from0600 Wednesday 25 July.

To watch a short video explaining how the ORN and Games Lanes work, please click here
Olympic Route Network (ORN) explained
The ORN is a road network linking Games venues and other key sites. Normal traffic can use most of the ORN, although there will be temporary changes such as suspended turns, stopping and loading restrictions and changes to traffic signal timings. Stopping or parking on the ORN will result in a £130 penalty charge and your vehicle may be towed away.
Games Lanes
Some lanes on ORN roads will be reserved as Games Lanes and are for use by athletes, officials and the world’s media. The vast majority of Games Lanes are in outside lanes. In these cases, normal traffic can use the adjacent lane(s). Driving in a Games Lane will result in a £130 penalty charge.
When you can use Games Lanes
Games Lanes will be very busy. They will be for the use of Games vehicles only from 0600–midnight. If Games Lanes are less busy, they will be switched off and electronic signs will indicate that normal traffic can use them.
Olympic Torch Relay
The Olympic Flame will be visiting every Borough in London this week. Roads will be temporarily closed before it arrives and will be exceptionally busy, particularly on Thursday 26 July.

Please do not drive to see the Torch and consider watching in your local area or close to your place of work. For more information, please visit getaheadofthegames.com

side_2012_orn_sign.jpg

Yours sincerely,
vernon_everitt.jpg

Vernon Everitt
Managing Director, Marketing and Communications

side_2012gameslogos100.gif

These are our customer service updates to help keep London moving during the Games.
To unsubscribe from Games messages, please click here

other_mayorlondon.gif

Travel News
Real-time updates on how services are running
Journey Planner
Get public transport, cycling and walking routes
Maps
Plan ahead with maps for Tube, Bus, DLR and more
Follow us
Get live service updates and the latest traffic news at tfl.gov.uk/socialmedia
Copyright in the contents of this email and its attachments belongs to Transport for London.
Any unauthorised usage will infringe that copyright. © Transport for London

p.gif

Attachments

• other_navvert.gif
    other_navvert.gif
    96 bytes · Views: 35
  • other_navvert.gif
    other_navvert.gif
    96 bytes · Views: 37

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Yeah,I keep getting emails.

I am more interested in the content of the email: there is talk of fines and confiscating bikes if you use the lanes, but TFL are sending emails to cyclists that use language that pretty much indicates that only motor vehicles are banned from them.

They could have easily have said "Using a Games Lane will result in a £130 penalty charge."

snorri

Legendary Member
TFL "knows" I'm a cyclist. I got this twice, once to the address I've used to register for Boris Bikes and other cycling related things.
The only thing TfL knows about me is that I hold an Oyster Card, and I just recently received a very similar email from them. I've never used a Boris bike or driven in London.

subaqua

What’s the point
I am more interested in the content of the email: there is talk of fines and confiscating bikes if you use the lanes, but TFL are sending emails to cyclists that use language that pretty much indicates that only motor vehicles are banned from them.

They could have easily have said "Using a Games Lane will result in a £130 penalty charge."

they can try taking my bike off me at the roadside. they ain't going to win though.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Click on the link to the video and on the web page there is a section regarding cyclists. We're not allowed in the 'Olympic lanes' but can use the ORN or PRN, apparently. :wacko:

Boris Bike

I can mostly avoid all these lanes on my commute, but I will have to cross over them at some point. Are we allowed to walk our bikes along the pavements (i.e. over Vauxhall bridge), and across the roads (i.e. Upper Thames street)?

The getaheadofthegames tool is a pile of crap. I don't want a rainbow of different colours shown on the roads, I just want 2 colours - one showing where I can ride my bike, and one where I can't.

subaqua

What’s the point
Click on the link to the video and on the web page there is a section regarding cyclists. We're not allowed in the 'Olympic lanes' but can use the ORN or PRN, apparently. :wacko:

ORN/PRN and Games l;anes are 2 different things. ORN/PRN may not have a games lane but a Games lane will be on the ORN/PRN.

Upper thames street/Lower thames street looks a right mess at the moment.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Cyclists can use the nearside Games Lanes (ie. alongside the pavement) but not offside ones (any others). This is 'for safety reasons', of course, as it's well-known that cyclists can't breathe if they go more than eight feet from the nearest kerb.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have just cycled home down the Victoria Embankment... and it was bliss! A lot of the side roads are closed off, making it much quieter than usual and the school hols have also helped, although perhaps more so further out. Lovely ride home :biggrin:

subaqua

What’s the point
i dunno what was going on today but there were hundreds of police vans , bikes and cars around Tower bridge north and southside and traffic was utter chaos. the best bit was whizzing past on my bike :smile:. royal mint street was nutty as was cable street.

Cyclists can use the nearside Games Lanes (ie. alongside the pavement) but not offside ones (any others). This is 'for safety reasons', of course, as it's well-known that cyclists can't breathe if they go more than eight feet from the nearest kerb.
I thought they spontaneously combusted if they went more than 8 inches from the gutter?

spen666

Legendary Member
i dunno what was going on today but there were hundreds of police vans , bikes and cars around Tower bridge north and southside and traffic was utter chaos. the best bit was whizzing past on my bike :smile:. royal mint street was nutty as was cable street.

I couldn't get there and ended up cutting off Embankment up past the bank of England to get to Aldgate and Whitechapel.

Any idea what the problem was?

Top Bottom