Letter from TFL about ORN and Games Lanes

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by jefmcg, 21 Jul 2012.

1. TFL "knows" I'm a cyclist. I got this twice, once to the address I've used to register for Boris Bikes and other cycling related things. I've been sent updates about issues relating to cyclists at this email address, so I am very interested that this mail makes no mention of cycles. Note especially "Driving in a Games Lane will result in a £130 penalty charge."

Attached Files:

2. Miquel In De Rain

Miquel In De Rain No Longer Posting

Yeah,I keep getting emails.

3. defy-one

defy-one Guest

4. I am more interested in the content of the email: there is talk of fines and confiscating bikes if you use the lanes, but TFL are sending emails to cyclists that use language that pretty much indicates that only motor vehicles are banned from them.

They could have easily have said "Using a Games Lane will result in a £130 penalty charge."

5. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

The only thing TfL knows about me is that I hold an Oyster Card, and I just recently received a very similar email from them. I've never used a Boris bike or driven in London.

6. subaqua

subaqua What’s the point

they can try taking my bike off me at the roadside. they ain't going to win though.

7. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

Click on the link to the video and on the web page there is a section regarding cyclists. We're not allowed in the 'Olympic lanes' but can use the ORN or PRN, apparently. :wacko:

8. Boris Bike

Boris Bike Well-Known Member

I can mostly avoid all these lanes on my commute, but I will have to cross over them at some point. Are we allowed to walk our bikes along the pavements (i.e. over Vauxhall bridge), and across the roads (i.e. Upper Thames street)?

The getaheadofthegames tool is a pile of crap. I don't want a rainbow of different colours shown on the roads, I just want 2 colours - one showing where I can ride my bike, and one where I can't.

9. subaqua

subaqua What’s the point

ORN/PRN and Games l;anes are 2 different things. ORN/PRN may not have a games lane but a Games lane will be on the ORN/PRN.

Upper thames street/Lower thames street looks a right mess at the moment.

10. Maz

Maz Legendary Member

Are these lanes dedicated to the Olympic Torch relay vehicles?

11. CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops

Cyclists can use the nearside Games Lanes (ie. alongside the pavement) but not offside ones (any others). This is 'for safety reasons', of course, as it's well-known that cyclists can't breathe if they go more than eight feet from the nearest kerb.

12. Sittingduck

Sittingduck Guru

I have just cycled home down the Victoria Embankment... and it was bliss! A lot of the side roads are closed off, making it much quieter than usual and the school hols have also helped, although perhaps more so further out. Lovely ride home :biggrin:

13. subaqua

subaqua What’s the point

i dunno what was going on today but there were hundreds of police vans , bikes and cars around Tower bridge north and southside and traffic was utter chaos. the best bit was whizzing past on my bike :smile:. royal mint street was nutty as was cable street.

14. ManiaMuse

ManiaMuse Veteran

I thought they spontaneously combusted if they went more than 8 inches from the gutter?

Hawk likes this.
  15. spen666

spen666 Guru

I couldn't get there and ended up cutting off Embankment up past the bank of England to get to Aldgate and Whitechapel.

Any idea what the problem was?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice