Letter from TFL about ORN and Games Lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stowie

Legendary Member
not even Tfl were reporting . so no idea

I think it is because of this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18962463

Cabbies upset about something - who would have thought it eh?

stowie

Legendary Member
wasn't a cabbie in sight when I went over at 5pm. but the local area was close to gridlock

It would have been around the same time, maybe the protest had finished but the traffic queues hadn't yet cleared. A cabbie dived off tower bridge at around 4pm, according to the reports.

subaqua

What’s the point
It would have been around the same time, maybe the protest had finished but the traffic queues hadn't yet cleared. A cabbie dived off tower bridge at around 4pm, according to the reports.
probably. I can see why the thames looked oily now if a cabbie had dived in

Buddfox

Veteran
So CS8 has officially been painted over for the Games, at least the bit up to Vauxhall Bridge. But agree with the comment above - the changes to the light sequences have improved traffic flow substantially, particularly around Parliament Square. They've turned Northumberland Avenue into a give way where it joins the embankment as well - I assume these changes are for the duration, not just for the Olympic flame?

Flyingfox

It's all very well being able to fly down the Embankment but the 'poor man's lane' as you come out of the Blackfriar's underpass (West bound) is so narrow it's utterly dangerous - no room for any vehicle to pass a cyclist, so it's primary for me on that stretch just on safety grounds.
I also have to make 2 'illegal' right hand turns now as they have blocked off some of the streets that have a junction with the Embankment.

suecsi

Parliament Square was gridlock at 5.30 this evening so not sure where the improved flow is ... just lots of confused cars, buses and taxis as I assume the buses that usually turn down Parliament Street, like the 11, have to turn down Victoria Embankment (which is 2 lanes off Bridge St now, with 1 over Westminster Bridge).

defy-one

I cycled from paddington to brick lane via old street today. Used all the back roads until grays inn road, it was a breeze in both directions,even in the midday sun

subaqua

What’s the point
matti.jpg

Games lanes were open to all traffic on Embankment westbound this evening although no one else seemed to realise. Had a blast sprinting it at 30mph+. Was doing about 35mph sustained behind a games coach.

I saw some games vehicles but not that many tbh. Going eastbound where I think the games lane was operational (hardly clear if you miss the sign) all the mopeds/motorbikes and a lot of cyclists were filtering on the outside and occastionally crossing the lines although a bit more tentatively than normal. I don't see what the police can do about this tbh unless they plan on fining every moped rider in London.

Millbank seems alright because they have only removed the bike symbols and the blue paint is in the middle of the road anyway because of the normal parking spaces so cyclists tended to still follow the blue paint. The sheer volume of cyclists seemed to force traffic to stay back behind.

Technical question: Am I allowed to cycle ON the white lines to overtake traffic? They are nice and wide and the surface is really pleasant to cycle on. If it was a football match it wouldn't count as a goal...

Top Bottom