Letterbox windscreen scraping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To be fair, some cars are just crap at clearing their windows of mist, especially at idle on the drive. I've just had the leaky air condensor replaced on my car (Nissan Note about 7 years old) and it's still shoot at demisting.

But yes if the demister doesn't work then there's no excuse for scraping the outside and using a cloth on the inside.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
I have a real issue with this. I always make sure I've got deicer and scrapers in the car before it gets to the point I actually need them. I just don't understand how other people can drive round like that.

GOAB

Not seen much here
Yet

I had to scrape windows last night, at 20:00. but it was low-grade ice, & even the scraped aside had melted before I'd ran the engine/heater for less than 5 minutes

Edit @ 19:08
Sometimes the frost gets quite artistic
December 2014
04:36, the time-stamp states

KN11 RPZ. Frosty. 1.JPG

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
To be fair, some cars are just crap at clearing their windows of mist, especially at idle on the drive. I've just had the leaky air condensor replaced on my car (Nissan Note about 7 years old) and it's still shoot at demisting.

But yes if the demister doesn't work then there's no excuse for scraping the outside and using a cloth on the inside.

Erm. my 14 year old Primera is fabulous at demisting - you had the air con leak. All cars are if you remember the screen is cold, very cold. Warm it up with luke warm water...

Get out in the morning, warm (tap warm) water over screen, sides and back and you are away. No chemicals.

It's only idiots that complain and drive cars without de-misting. Seen too many accidents caused by it. Sun in your eyes is not an excuse - the bloody sun is there every day.

Reactions: mjr

simongt

Guru
What always puzzles me each frosty morn is the apparent shortage of de-icer spray and ice scrapers. I have yet to see anyone using de-icer spray and a proper scraper. Credit cards and similar diminuitive items yes, or sometimes steaming kettles - !

cheys03

Veteran
Get out in the morning, warm (tap warm) water over screen, sides and back and you are away. No chemicals.
Only downside of this approach is when the water run-off pools and (if it's cold enough) freezes on the ground later. Found out the hard way. It's still my favourite method of defrosing the car though.

fossyant

What always puzzles me each frosty morn is the apparent shortage of de-icer spray and ice scrapers. I have yet to see anyone using de-icer spray and a proper scraper. Credit cards and similar diminuitive items yes, or sometimes steaming kettles - !

People in too much of a rush- this is the main issue with commuting !

fossyant

Only downside of this approach is when the water run-off pools and (if it's cold enough) freezes on the ground later. Found out the hard way. It's still my favourite method of defrosing the car though.

Also have the car key in to wipe the front once. It does work though....

I even used to defrost the missus car before I cycled to work.

All cars are if you remember the screen is cold, very cold. Warm it up with luke warm water...

Get out in the morning, warm (tap warm) water over screen, sides and back and you are away. No chemicals. .

I've done it that way, for years, tepid (just 'luke-warm' water), but set the wipers going before you pour - making sure they're not iced to the screen first

<looks smugly at electrically heated front windscreen>
I had one on my last 110 (& I fitted heated glass into the mirrors), a previous Discovery, SWMBOs old Mondeo, & the XKR (not that that went out in winter - too much 'grunt' for slippery roads)

Sadly, the Octavia doesn't have one, but does (oddly) have heated mirrors

Top Bottom