England : East Sussex Lewes to Bexhill ride Sunday 23rd Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Unfortunately, you couldn't schedule good weather. Heroic efforts in the circumstances though. Shame the coach isn't going to be there for much longer.
Two requests:
(i) Could the rerun be on a Saturday please? Acts of Network Rail permitting, I might actually be able to use one of those 'train' thingies to get to the start that way.
(ii) Could I have a copy of your intended route to Bexhill? Using OSM routing on bikehike or bikeroutetoaster proved rather problematic the other week when I rode there. In other words, it kept taking me off perfectly decent roads and sending me the wrong way and/or up bridle paths, through forests...I might well have another go during my week off (Monday next) and you know that neck of the woods rather better than me. Google Maps cycling directions came up with this which didn't look too bad.

rb58

Enigma
Well done Jenny. Really sorry the weather spoiled it. I'd be up for trying again in the Spring. And if you do have a copy of the route, I'd like a copy too please, as if the weather is better next week a couple of us may ride back from the Brighton FNRttC via Lewes and Bexhill. Gotta see that coach!

Cheers
Ross

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Stu, that route you have is horrible, main roads with fast traffic and the sort of thing that would put Dellzeqq into apolplexy at its plain awful ghastliness. I need to sign on to the laptop as the iPad googlemaps thingy isn't very good, but there are lovely roads around there. I'll see what I can work out.

StuAff

Stu, that route you have is horrible, main roads with fast traffic and the sort of thing that would put Dellzeqq into apolplexy at its plain awful ghastliness. I need to sign on to the laptop as the iPad googlemaps thingy isn't very good, but there are lovely roads around there. I'll see what I can work out.
Now you see, that's why the local knowledge helps :smile:
At least part of the A27 in the area has an excellent bike path alongside (wide and smooth), which I unfortunately turned off in the vicinity of Firle. I ended up on the A22-A27-259 after the last of my off-roading and didn't find the 259 too bad (at least on a Saturday)- those levels of traffic don't bother me. But if there's an alternative, I'd happily use it.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
http://goo.gl/maps/kjLUx

stu,
From Lewes station, do remember that you cannot take a bike through the tunnel (and live to tell the tale) so have to follow what this route tells you. Then, as you say, there is a superb cycle route along the A27, which must have cost millions to buy the land from the farmer and then lay the excellent smooth tarmac (all of which was wasted money as there is, on the other side of the A27, about 10 feet from the carriageway, a perfectly good road that has been there for years and has houses along it. Why they didn't just sweep the rubbish off that road and put up a few signs is a matter between the local council and the taxpayers, but I digress). The route shows you the little variation that takes you away from the main road for a few hundred yards, then you go "inland". These lanes are flat and delightful and have pubs and shops, all very pretty. There is a tea cabin thingy at the lake sometimes. You go past a pub with roses and chairs outside. Or possibly, you may wish to savour the Harveys ale. Up to you, Stu. Then note the route is incorrect as you cross the main dual carriageway coming to Hailsham, if you walk across the road there is a small gap in a hedge and a lovely flat road on the other side. It takes you straight into Hailsham, which TBH, is not the prettiest town but I have seen wprse. The road out of there through Rickney etc is flat as a pancake and protected by hedges from the wind, and you cross the main road at a roundabout and after that it is plain sailing to Bexhill. After today I'd suggest you take a decent lock for the bike as if you go into the pavilion (it's clean, dry, has loos, a shoppe, a cafe, etc etc, all very civilised) you cannot see your bike.
The main advice I'd give is avoid like the plague those fast dual carriageways around there as not only are they boring but they are like motorways and once you are on them you have to go some miles before you can get off.
Simon
I'll pop something maplike and possibly even waterproof in the post to you. After Brighton I'd like to go to the coach but I'm unsure if I'll be up for it after a night on the bike. And a Huge Fatboy's Breakfast with Extra Fat And Chips.

StuAff

Thanks Martin & Jen- the technomap follows Jen's route for the most part, obviously great minds thinking alike!

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Well I enjoyed it...rain or not...it was good to get out on british roads again. Shame the heavens stayed open but hey ho...im up for it again some time :smile:

2055192 said:
Who do you think I am, Miranda?

I don't know, Adrian. Who do you think you are? (I cant believe you posted that. Will you every let rolling stock sleeping pigs lie? The reality is if you want to talk traintalk all you need is Andrew Br! And a bridge in Goole)

Glad to hear that despite the weather today (which was horrendous) some of you marvellous peeps managed to do at least some of this ride. Very brave as it has been tipping it down all day.

Mice

StuAff

I don't know, Adrian. Who do you think you are? (I cant believe you posted that. Will you every let rolling stock sleeping pigs lie? The reality is if you want to talk traintalk all you need is Andrew Br! And a bridge in Goole)

Glad to hear that despite the weather today (which was horrendous) some of you marvellous peeps managed to do at least some of this ride. Very brave as it has been tipping it down all day.

Mice
What did you think of the Hythe Pier train then? :smile:

StuAff

mmmartin...thanks for posting this
http://goo.gl/maps/kjLUx

Im a techno knob...is there some way i can download the gpx file from that link to my pc or direct to garmin device? I looked for the download icon but didnt see one.

TIA
There is a Google Maps to GPX tool here (you basically set up your route, then use a link in your browser which generate the GPX. Bikeroutetoaster didn't import it very well, but it doesn't cope with imports very well anyway. Haven't tried with other sites or applications yet.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I recommend
on top
(from the outside) waterproof gilet, a Paramo jacket, Fridays winter jersey, Helly Hansen thermal top,
below the waist
(from the outside)
Rainlegs (in fetching bright yellow as modelled on Lonjog), winter bib tights, with normal bibtights underneath,
then even lower
Neoprene booties and woolly socks under cycling shoes.

It was wet going there into the wind, but on the return it was wetter because the rain was being pushed into the bit of my legs that the Rainlegs weren't protecting. So my bottom was getting wetter.
There was the bonus of added thunder and lightning, although only a couple of times.

I was dry under the Paramo, as I was on LonJog, but the legs were damp. Compared with the 300k epic ride from Hull to London with Polepole it was a doddle, not least because it was about 19 hours shorter and I didn't have to eat squashed dry cheese rolls as the only food we had. Happy days.

Top Bottom