England : East Sussex Lewes to Bexhill ride Sunday 23rd Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
I'm sorry Jenny, but having reviewed the weather forecasts for tomorrow I'm going to wimp out of this. Bit disappointed with myself as I don't normally get scared off by a bit of rain, but it doesn't look like there'll be much respite tomorrow. I also still have very sore (possibly cracked) ribs from my crash a couple of weeks ago and that, and the weather, would probably combine to make me a grumpy so-and-so and not good company.

I really hope it doesn't rain, and if there's a miraculous change in the forecast I'll be there, but not likely I'm afraid.

Sorry.

Cheers
Ross
(PS - I still want to see Bexhill and the DLW pavillion, so if there's a re-run, count me in)

martint235

Dog on a bike
Sorry Jenny but I'm also out. The weather forecasts just seem to be showing it getting progressively worse along my route.

I really want to see the bus though and may change my mind in the morning but at the mo I just don't fancy getting that wet. Sorry.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Well, I'm safely installed in B & B in Newhaven. The sky is clear at the mo and it's been a lovely afternoon. I went for a pootle from Lewes out to Seaford, sat by the sea for a while, and I'm ever optimistic for the morrow.
I'll be at Lewes tomorrow morning, whatever it brings.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
what do people think - cancel or tough it out?
My opinion, which counts for less than a hill of beans in this crazy world, is that the ride should meet at the start at the originally advertised time. It's Bad Form to cancel on the interwebs as some people might not see the message and go to great lengths to get to a ride that unknown to them has been cancelled. The ride at the start can then decide what to do.
This is easy for me to say as my plan was to ride down from TWells and then try to find and meet you as you rode through Hailsham, and not be at the start. Given the forecast, and the fact that I have been involved with a 100k hilly perm audax today, I am less inclined to ride down. I might still drive down with the bike in the car and meet up then ride into the teeth of an easterly 20mph wind across the Marshes just to say hello. The ride back will be much easier, of course..... But do nothing on my account. If it is tipping it down I will probably go for a muddy run instead.

StuartG

slower but further
Brat 1 begat brat 2 on Wednesday. All have moved in with us. No sleep since Tuesday. LonJoG was a walk in the park compared to this ... and no escape - I'm expected to do grand daddy things with cardigans, pipes and slippers. So that (and not the forecast, honest guv) is my excuse. I won't stick to it as it will fall apart.

Have fun - this is the second Pevensey ride I've missed. People rave about it so I would really like to do it next year if TMN in her dotage will take pity on us wimps and do it again. Good Riding tomorrow - even if it to the station and back!

StuartG

slower but further
'in her dotage'? Well that's you off my Christmas card list for a start
My humble apologies. I had read your post on doing all the 2013 FNRttC rides as a mark of retirement. When instead it was merely signalling your career change to a Cycling Pro. No wonder Lance quit while the going was good ... (with another feeble excuse).

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
My humbles apologies. I had read your post on doing all the 2013 FNRttC rides as a mark of retirement. When instead it was a mark of you are merely turning Pro. No wonder Lance quit while the going was good ... (with another feeble excuse).
As has been said to me, stop digging.....

mmmmartin

Random geezer
A splendid ride. Got to Hailsham about 11ish. Had a pootle around Hailsham lanes looking for The Posse but no joy so left Hailsham town centre about 11.45 arrived at the rocking bus place just before 1, and saw some singing group was about to sing sea shanties with a microphone and loudspeakers in the atrium from 2.30 so I had to leave before then, obviously. Observed the very wet Bexhill Beach Fishing Festival packing a lot of very wet kit into very wet vans. Had a pootle around nearby coffee places looking for several bikes parked up but couldn't find any and faced with the prospect of riding around Bexhill forever and visiting every pub known to Adrian, which could take quite some time, I opted for the wind-assisted passage back across the marshes to Hailsham. Although wet, not horribly so, and although windy, not cold.

Top Bottom