England : East Sussex Lewes to Bexhill ride Sunday 23rd Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Mrs Hall HMQM is looking fairly good, weather dependent.

Am I right in saying it's 30 miles there, 30 miles back? If so, adding the bit from Burgess Hill would probably be too much, so she'll come by train. There's one that arrives 0924, will that suit?

OK, ahem, it looks like this ride is down to me so, on the principle that offering too much choice leads to chaos, here's what's on offer:

Meet at Lewes Station, time tbcf but probably about 9.30 am. Route to Bexhill mainly on quiet rural/seaside roads and lanes and some (tarmac) cycletrack, 30 miles, returning the same way so total is 60 miles. Mostly very flat (crossing Pevensey Levels, the clue's in the name), one or two little undulations. Several options for tea stops along the way if necessary, but I'd rather spend the time at the De la Warr, which apart from the wobbly coach has a good permanent art collection (and a nice tea room/restaurant) and is all art deco luvverliness.

Ride proper will be on Sunday 23rd September. As the trains will be back to normal then, anyone who wanted to could cut the ride short and get a train back to Lewes at several points along the way.

TMN, is this still the plan? Somehow I'd missed "returning the same way so total is 60 miles". Very much up for that, but I may have got wrong end of stick, thinking ride ended in Bexhill, hence bought return ticket from Bexhill to East Croydon. If you could please clarify....? As FD has not yet bought his ticket... Thanks!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Jenny, Ossie is definitely out as he has a broken thumb ligament ( see transcambrian for medical updates!). T & I are still potentially available but it depends on someone else. I'll let you know before 9.30 on Sunday though for sure^_^

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Current thinkng is to ride down on the Saturday and stay at Alfriston YHA and on Sunday morning ride north for a few miles and wait at roadside for you, join the ride, train north from West St Leonards. I may be bringing a chum, not of this parish but an amiable cove nevertheless. Hope that OK. Will ask for your route nearer the tme.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'm flattered, mmmmartin, at the effort you are making to be part of this experience. I so hope it warrants it.
It will, honest. I had a bit of a (mis)adventure getting there on Saturday, but the sight of the coach more than made it worthwhile. Great building, didn't look around much as it had gone four and I had a long train trip home, but I'll be back. Better route next time though...!!
This assumes that I don't wake up at 4.30ish Sunday morning and decide I'll join you all.....;)

mmmmartin

Random geezer
ulp. Telscombe YHA fully booked. Replanning going on as we speak.
Current thinkng is to ride down on the Saturday and stay at Alfriston YHA

Ulp. Alfriston YHA also full on Saturday night.
Current thinking is to ride down from Tunbridge Wells on sunday morning and meet you near Berwick station. This is beginning to turn into a bit of a palaver.

Top Bottom