England : East Sussex Lewes to Bexhill ride Sunday 23rd Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
If I'm not on call, I'm up for it. I'll probably cycle down to Lewes. I may split at Bexhill and cycle home from there rather than back to Lewes.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Excellent - is that recce or ride Martin?
Sorry Jennie, the ride itself. I'd like to do the recce but I doubt I'd get a pass that close to an FNRttC. I'm out every weekend in August as it is :rolleyes:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Interested in the ride proper (Am in France for the recce date). Might have to work on the Sunday though, and will know nearer the time. Plan to ride to Lewes from TWells, and get the train home from Hastings.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Happy to do both recce and real ride. Recce subject to getting a train from home to lewes as I am well known as a mileage lightweight.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
You'll love it, if only because you'll be about 20 years younger than anyone living there.
Doubt that, somehow.

OK, ahem, it looks like this ride is down to me so, on the principle that offering too much choice leads to chaos, here's what's on offer:

Meet at Lewes Station, time tbcf but probably about 9.30 am. Route to Bexhill mainly on quiet rural/seaside roads and lanes and some (tarmac) cycletrack, 30 miles, returning the same way so total is 60 miles. Mostly very flat (crossing Pevensey Levels, the clue's in the name), one or two little undulations. Several options for tea stops along the way if necessary, but I'd rather spend the time at the De la Warr, which apart from the wobbly coach has a good permanent art collection (and a nice tea room/restaurant) and is all art deco luvverliness.

I'll be doing the ride as a recce on Sunday 5th August, when bikes aren't allowed on trains, so denizens of Sussex and anyone else who can get to Lewes by other means will be very welcome to join me then.

Ride proper will be on Sunday 23rd September. As the trains will be back to normal then, anyone who wanted to could cut the ride short and get a train back to Lewes at several points along the way.

How does that sound?

This is looking v. good - thank you TMN. I may have my wires crossed but if the FNRttC Brighton is on Friday 3rd I could stay in Brighton Saturday night and join you. Am pondering further and will let you know!

Mice

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
All sounds interesting, but I can't do this ride. Maybe some other time in the spring next year when I no longer work every Sunday.

The best bit round there is going out of Eastbourne west on the A259, there are some nice hills there. It's very nice near Exceat and Litlington/Alfriston.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Ah, well I missed that one too I'm afraid, but the great man himself did tell me about it.

I know of someone who lives on West Parade who comments about how many cyclists now cycle past in the 00s and 10s, so I hope you keep that up :biggrin:.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I know - you have to work very hard to earn it and some people have very long memories ^_^
I know. Just once, only once, you get a little bit squiffy after a FNRttC. The next thing you know, you're having people volunteer to be your "minder" and ensure you get to the station in one piece. Albeit a volunteer "minder" that then completely forgets they are "minding" and b*****rs off home. But we won't point any fingers over that one will we???

Or you make the very understandable mistake of not noticing a teensy, weensy castle somewhere in the middle of nowhere. And does anyone let you forget it??

Top Bottom