England : East Sussex Lewes to Bexhill ride Sunday 23rd Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
!:secret: bricklayers arms
***gets tacks and nails ready for someone's tyres. Also wonders whether magnets will affect someone's electric shifting***

Tim Hall

Sounds like a good ride. I too have a thing about the De La Warr pavilion, ever since I read about it in "Adolf Hitler, My Part in His Downfall". Pencilled into the diary.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
on those dates it won't be possible to bring bikes to Sussex on the train, due to Southern's brilliant piece of PR in banning them during the Olympics!

southernrail.jpg

mmmmartin

Random geezer
interesting interview with richard wilson on the culture show tonight, and the wobbly coach looks well worth a visit. the de la warr pavilion website has an interesting video of richard wilson explaining how the thing was built. it was quite complicated because of the winds from the sea. and i am assuming conversation on the ride will be very much along the lines of "you're a big man greg but you're out of shape and for me this is a full-time job so behave yourself" and "you're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!".

I take Aidan cycling at pretty much exactly the same spot that the bloody doors were blown off. True story

Won't be able to do the recce unfortunately - bad form to miss his birthday party...

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I take Aidan cycling at pretty much exactly the same spot that the bloody doors were blown off. True story
where is that? maybe we could ride from the one place, being the start, to the other place, being the finish. sort of appropriate?

EDIT - this from Wikipedia, the well-known source for all journalists seeking facts and truth:
"The attempt to blow the doors off the bullion van, which led to its destruction and Croker's line, took place at Crystal Palace Sports Centre. The Crystal Palace transmitter can be seen in the background."
So maybe not on this ride.
for a moment there i was going to say: "Hang on a minute lads, i've got a really good idea.........."

Top Bottom