LEZYNE 700XL Light advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

night cycler

Legendary Member
I bought this £40 cycle lamp brand new at the time.
A very nice lamp,but I only used it on cycle paths that were unlit. Less than 6 times.

The next 3 years it Sat in my kitchen.
I have tried to charge it yesterday but nothing happened. None of my charges/cables for it don't charge it.
So can anyone suggest what the issue is
 

Sharky

Legendary Member
Location
Kent
A Google search gave this advice ...

Revive a dead battery: If the battery drained completely during long-term storage, it may take up to 15–30 minutes of being plugged in before any charging indicator light turns on.

Good luck
 

C R

Guru
Location
Worcester
It is tricky. LiIon batteries can degrade over time if the minimum charge is not maintained. Some BMSs may refuse to charge if the cells have over discharged, as a safety feature. As @Sharky says, leave the light plugged in for some time with a known working cable to see if it comes back to life.
 
Last edited:

BigAndyH

Guru
Location
Bournemouth
Worth checking - I had a Lezyne rear light where the charging port was in a recess, protected by a rubber cover. The Lezyne supplied charging cable would just fit into the recess, but on other cables the moulded end was a bit too big, so they could not quite be inserted far enough to charge the light up.
 
OP
OP
night cycler

night cycler

Legendary Member
I have Tried my chargers & cables for it.
I bought this brand new and it was very good. At the time I only used it on a few dark nights. Since then it has been in
my kitchen. Anyone know what could be
charging fail?
 

rogerzilla

Squire
Try putting it in the freezer for a day. Defrost it in the fridge for a few hours to reduce the risk of condensation, then try charging it. Li-ion batteries are often revived for a while by freezing.
 

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Some stuff needs to get kept on with a charge in them or they can go flat and the battery is dead
 

nogoodnamesleft

Senior Member
I had similar with my Lezyne Macro. I have both front and rear versions and the rear (smaller) was fine but the front takes hours to charge but then does seem to work OK (lasts more than long enough for my rides). Still use it on my upright but got the 700XL (and strip for rear) for my tadpole recumbent but that gets used more so not suffered.
 

Webbo2

Veteran
I had Lezyne front light that get used then wouldn’t charge. It would indicate it was charging but that’s are far it got. Binned it in the end.
 

oxoman

Über Member
Unfortunately its the downside to lithium batteries if there left dead for to long. There's a chance the freeze thaw cycle might work, however im always wary as ive seen to many lithium batteries go up in flames. TBH they tend to be smaller cordless tool or embedded ones in electrical equipment. That's why when you leave them for a while your supposed to leave them pretty well fully charged unlike nicads. It's possible that if you can get the light apart that you can replace the cell itself, especially as the bigger lights tend to use standard 18650 laptop style cells. When im suggesting you take the light apart, this is if its got actual screws to disassemble unlike some glue or crimped lights. DO NOT go prodding the old cell or shorting it out and preferably dont do the work in the house. Yes people do try that and regret it pretty quickly.
 
  • Like
Reactions: C R
OP
OP
night cycler

night cycler

Legendary Member
How long ago did you buy it?

Was it left charged or uncharged?

The lamp was bought brand new, but it was a long time...maybe 6 years ago (I tend to save receipts & instructions together in a box.
I did not ever leave it being charged longer than necessary. if you mean that?

However, when the lamp was last used,I believe it was like a torch for no more than 10 minutes.
I do not understand your question
"WAS IT LEFT CHARGED OR UNCHARGED.
I assume any torch will run out of charge eventually. Feel free to ask more questions,and thank you for your patients.
 

All uphill

Still rolling along
Location
Somerset
The lamp was bought brand new, but it was a long time...maybe 6 years ago (I tend to save receipts & instructions together in a box.
I did not ever leave it being charged longer than necessary. if you mean that?

However, when the lamp was last used,I believe it was like a torch for no more than 10 minutes.
I do not understand your question
"WAS IT LEFT CHARGED OR UNCHARGED.
I assume any torch will run out of charge eventually. Feel free to ask more questions,and thank you for your patients.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

L ion batteries do not cope well with being left fully discharged. I learnt this the hard way when I bought a Bosch drill and forgot it was supplied with a spare battery. After four years that battery wouldn't hold a charge, while the one in constant use was still good, and still is another two years on.
 

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Moderator
Location
Glasgow
I do not understand your question
"WAS IT LEFT CHARGED OR UNCHARGED.
Some bike lights (I believe this goes for other tec too) naturally lose charge if not used for a long time.
Then the battery won't hold charge anymore.
You're suppose to charge them from time to time even if you're not using them.
Don't ask me why!
 
Top Bottom