Lidl Ant+ candence and speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
I decided to purchase ones of these today £19.99 so thought it was worth a punt bearing in mind the one I nearly purchased the other month was £30.

20160502_105327.jpg

Not a bad looking package and to be honest it looks the same as many of the other brands out there.

Taking everything out of the box you get you normal bag of bits including zip ties rubber band small foam pad magnet for spoke and pedal and a battery. Also Inc is a tiny Christmas cracker screwdriver.
20160502_105354.jpg

Fitting is pretty easy just needing to make sure the speed sensor is lined up with the magnet and the same for the crank which is easier as it has a larger surface area.
20160502_105531.jpg

There is an app you can download which is pretty basic made by brivit I think. I tried it just to make sure the sensors work and they did.

Now was the real test to see if strava was happy to read the sensor. Opened up strava went to record a ride and clicked the little triangle image on the right. Did a scan and picked it up straight away.

During the ride as the phone was in the saddle bag I had no idea if it was recordng but on the first pit stop I checked and I had an avg 60rpm so it was working fine.

All in all for £20 it does what I wanted I have a bodged phone bracket I am working on using bits and brackets from a go pro kit a phone case and a tripod gopro mount will get a picture once it's all fitted.

cm2mackem

Über Member
I decided to purchase ones of these today £19.99 so thought it was worth a punt bearing in mind the one I nearly purchased the other month was £30.

View attachment 126952
Not a bad looking package and to be honest it looks the same as many of the other brands out there.

Taking everything out of the box you get you normal bag of bits including zip ties rubber band small foam pad magnet for spoke and pedal and a battery. Also Inc is a tiny Christmas cracker screwdriver. View attachment 126953
Fitting is pretty easy just needing to make sure the speed sensor is lined up with the magnet and the same for the crank which is easier as it has a larger surface area.
View attachment 126955
There is an app you can download which is pretty basic made by brivit I think. I tried it just to make sure the sensors work and they did.

Now was the real test to see if strava was happy to read the sensor. Opened up strava went to record a ride and clicked the little triangle image on the right. Did a scan and picked it up straight away.

During the ride as the phone was in the saddle bag I had no idea if it was recordng but on the first pit stop I checked and I had an avg 60rpm so it was working fine.

All in all for £20 it does what I wanted I have a bodged phone bracket I am working on using bits and brackets from a go pro kit a phone case and a tripod gopro mount will get a picture once it's all fitted.
Before I took the plunge and bought a decent garmin, I had a 200, I used one of these Bluetooth sensors, but I had a spare garmin mount that I superglued to the back of an old phone, bodged but it worked

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I considered one of these so will be interested to see how you get on in the long run- have you managed to get it to display on strava routes live (or any other app)? I'd rather have immediate feedback than just to find out about it afterwards.

cm2mackem

Über Member
I considered one of these so will be interested to see how you get on in the long run- have you managed to get it to display on strava routes live (or any other app)? I'd rather have immediate feedback than just to find out about it afterwards.
You need premium strava, paid for, and its only Bluetooth not ant+

Ajax Bay

Guru
I had a spare garmin mount
@cm2mackem Do you mean the male bit of a Garmin mount (as opposed to the female mount: the one 'rubber rings' to stem or bar)? If so where did you get it, please? I want to do similar.
OP - I am using a Garmin ant+ for cadence and am using a small magnet which just 'sticks' (by magnetism) to my pedal axle - nothing to fall off I just put one on and it's stuck fast, completely flush with my crank arm and pretty much unnoticeable (just have to remember it's there when I remove the pedals). Won't work if you have Ti pedal axles;) Apparently you have to take care not to get too strong a magnet otherwise this cadence one can interfere with the reading from the speed one.

cm2mackem

Über Member
@cm2mackem Do you mean the male bit of a Garmin mount (as opposed to the female mount: the one 'rubber rings' to stem or bar)? If so where did you get it, please? I want to do similar.
OP - I am using a Garmin ant+ for cadence and am using a small magnet which just 'sticks' (by magnetism) to my pedal axle - nothing to fall off I just put one on and it's stuck fast, completely flush with my crank arm and pretty much unnoticeable (just have to remember it's there when I remove the pedals). Won't work if you have Ti pedal axles;) Apparently you have to take care not to get too strong a magnet otherwise this cadence one can interfere with the reading from the speed one.
I got the male bit from eBay/Amazon ,http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...ZtR-ML1gACR2LnXMGUdpbRoC6oXw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds I have a 705 so couldn't be bothered switching fittings all the time. I am now wondering if its cheaper to use an old but decent mobile and pay strava premium rather than a new garmin to display live segments etc.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Yeah I have promised myself a garmin at the end of the year birthday and Christmas are 5 days apart and along with the Christmas bonus I will have to wait lol.

The bodge should work nicely and the s6 Samsung I have is water and dust proof so I have just gone for a basic shell cover just in case I drop the phone.
I don't currently have the premium but it does show up as an avg when you pause. The app you can download shows live data so you could run strava in the background with the app running in front.

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
To be honest I am not really up on the differences between ant+ and bluetooth smart devices the app you can search for is just called civit pro not really looked at it other than to check that the sensors worked but it has a nice look to it plus a history feature.
Screenshot_2016-05-02-21-09-45.png

cm2mackem

Über Member
They specify it as being bluetooth smart I have had a look at my phone and it actually comes up under the ant + application I believe it's the same thing but for crivit to use the ant + logo probably costs them so they decided to call it something similar. And also it only seems to work with a list of phones that have the ability to run ant products as I can't get it to connect to my old s3 Samsung.
Yep had a look at strava mobile, some phones have ant+ as standard, sadly it started with the S4, your live cadence might display with the basic app, someone could know, but live segments need premium

cm2mackem

Über Member
To be honest I am not really up on the differences between ant+ and bluetooth smart devices the app you can search for is just called civit pro not really looked at it other than to check that the sensors worked but it has a nice look to it plus a history feature. View attachment 126982
If you look at your strava app, there are 3 circles in a triangle, you can pair your Bluetooth and Ant+ devices there

OP
OP
Stevec047

Stevec047

Über Member
Yeah I have done that and it has been paired. To be honest as the phone was in my saddle bag I am not 100% sure what graphics come up when riding.

It came up when paused with my average of 60 rpm

cm2mackem

Über Member
Yeah I have done that and it has been paired. To be honest as the phone was in my saddle bag I am not 100% sure what graphics come up when riding.

It came up when paused with my average of 60 rpm
I've asked about and no one has the answer, everyone who I know with strava premium has a garmin they use it on, so Steve looks like your the test pilot, by the way are you doing the very flat tour de tendering this weekend

Top Bottom