Liege-Bastogne-Liege 2020 SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yeah the early celebration.
(I've got a lot of sympathy for athletes making errors in the heat of the moment - but this flavour seems entirely self-inflicted when it happens. I'm now thinking JA is like the young Sagan - mad, occasionally stupid fool who lights up the sport. Hard to dislike!)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Here's Adam screwing it up in the Blackpool 10:whistle:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07ie0jnnj8k

Aravis

Putrid Donut
By that particular boo-boo you mean the early celebration? Other people will know better, I'm dredging my memory for instances. Nothing as high profile as LBL comes up.
Not quite the same magnitude as LBL, but the greatest of them all, reigning world champion in the yellow jersey comes quite close. Some excellent YouTube footage from the 1972 Tour, which deserves some more views. The critical moment is just after 20 minutes:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3GtV7uVLyg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I seem to remember Pozzato celebrating, thinking he'd won, on that race that used to finish in Rome?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Excellent memory ... or perhaps research. Stage 15 of the 1972 tour. Way before my time. I think it would be several years before I even heard of Eddy Merckx
In a sense it was memory, but of stuff I've read about. The video is one I found recently so it was fresh in my mind.

I have one live memory of Merckx, winning Milan - San Remo in 1976.

Another video I saw the other day featured someone celebrating wildly after winning a sprint for second place, which might be ever more embarrassing. When I remember what it was I'll post it.

.. and then there was "actually we ride a lap of this town centre first" guy. Vuelta maybe? Quite recently.
#cantbeArsedtoSearchYoutube

Aravis

Putrid Donut
May have been Simon Clarke in the Giro
One thing this discussion has shown is that over the years a lot of riders have committed finish-line gaffes, including some of the biggest names. JA is far from alone.

I've remembered the one I'd seen, and it was on one of the most celebrated days in GT history, the 1987 Giro stage to Sappada. The rider who thought he'd won was a neo-pro called Tony Rominger.

Oh dear - poor Jimmy! That one is a lot funnier, cos of the body language :-)

Meanwhile, that TOP BLOKE Alaphilipe - and I won't hear a word said against him - made some nice post-race comments:
"Totally," was Alaphilippe’s response when asked if he felt the jury’s decision was fair. "Once again, I’m sorry for that involuntary deviation. I have no excuse. I’m sincerely sorry, because it’s not at all my way of doing things. It won’t happen again."
"In the sprint, with the return of Mohoric, it was perfect, up until that deviation and up until I raised my arms too early. These are things that happen in a career - it's just a shame it happened at La Doyenne. As I said, it was the first and last time. In any case, we have a great winner in Primoz Roglič."

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Meanwhile, that TOP BLOKE Alaphilipe - and I won't hear a word said against him - made some nice post-race comments:

Can't fault his response/attitude on this post-race, which indicate he seems a decent chap.

Now to address that constant twitching, and the jinking/weaving around repeatedly, that afflicts him, or rather that he afflicts and imperils others with, during the races......

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom