Life without the car from monday.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I've been with out a car since the late 1970's. When I've needed one I've hired one, day trips and holidays, I've also holidayed by coach and train. Day to day I cycle and we walk, use the buses, have lifts off friends and once in a while we will use the trains. I've been thinking lately it may be nice to have one again, but with my youngest son having passed his test this year and brought a small hatchback I've been hearing whats it been costing him and I'm thinking yes it would be convenient but is it worth the cost? My wife has her bus pass and I'll have mine shortly so I'm not sure I will have one again.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Without my car how could I bring my wine and cheese back from France? How could I go to Portsmouth in 5 hours from here? I love riding my bike but it is purely for exercise. Pollution? Grossly exaggerated I think.

Thomk

Guru
Our second car is up for sale and it is one of the reasons/motivations/excuses for starting to cycle commute. I think we'll be fine with one car and maybe one day, perhaps when the kids are a bit older, we'll be brave enough to ditch the other. Well done chap. You can always spend £1K or more on hiring/taxis in need per year and still be quids in.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
I've been with out a car since the late 1970's. When I've needed one I've hired one, day trips and holidays, I've also holidayed by coach and train. Day to day I cycle and we walk, use the buses, have lifts off friends and once in a while we will use the trains. I've been thinking lately it may be nice to have one again, but with my youngest son having passed his test this year and brought a small hatchback I've been hearing whats it been costing him and I'm thinking yes it would be convenient but is it worth the cost? My wife has her bus pass and I'll have mine shortly so I'm not sure I will have one again.

Yeah Dave........it's called freeloading
biggrin.gif

montyboy

Live without a car, couldnt do it!

I have 4 plus 2 race cars. I spend an absolute fortune on them and I love it, thats what I go to work for.

I like to cycle and it keeps me fit but my cars are my passion.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Everybody has lifts off friends now and again, I've given lifts to family and friends when I've been driving, nothing freeloading there.

Ok. Sorry

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Mine's been sat on the drive for much of the summer. Yes, it's good to take the kids to school (1 and 5 miles away), but they could walk/take the bus - which they do occasionally.

I also do at least one trip to work by car just to take in work that's been done/bring it back. That could be done by bus, just.

Certainly I'm thinking "I've got a convertible that's hardly been used this summer, apart from a trip to France. Why've I still got something with the roof that goes down if I take the bike in all weathers?"

I had decided to ditch commuting and sell a bike a few weeks ago, but circumstances have now changed so I've come full circle and will be commuting full time again from Monday.

I can't get rid of my company car, but I don't need to go to work in it every day. I only have a short commute of around 3 miles each way, but I've still been having to put £20 worth of diesel in the car each week, (includes pottering about at weekends too)!

I used to absolutely love cars and driving, but now I view the car as a necessary evil and driving as an all out pain in the @rse, (40-50k a year for several years does that to you!). I'll never be apart from cars as I work in the industry, (and can't see a way out of it), but the love affair has definitely come to an end for me.

Xiorell

Über Member
I think I am in a way, lucky to never have been a driver (aged 27) , probabley makes the idea of cycling everywhere alot easier. My town is only 6ish miles across so local trips are pretty easy to cater for.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Without my car how could I bring my wine and cheese back from France? How could I go to Portsmouth in 5 hours from here? I love riding my bike but it is purely for exercise. Pollution? Grossly exaggerated I think.

So you only cycle for leisure. fair enough. Many of us see cycling as the more efficient way to travel. I don't need a car, and if I had one then it would cost me a fortune, eating up all the money I currently have for fun, and I wouldn't have anywhere to park it at my flat anyway. I don't feel the need to travel hundreds of miles to buy cheese, when the continental market brings it to me every month...

(Not quite Portsmouth, but I could be in Southampton (from York) in a little over 5 hours, on a single train).

Your part of North Wales may not seem very polluted. Near my flat is one of the worst air quality streets in Europe, apparently, which is commonly nose to tail traffic in the day time, a huge proportion of that being individual people sitting in cars, probably travelling a few miles. Not only is the air quality poor, which is hard to see, all the shops on that street have a slightly grubby dusty look.

All that said, I can drive, I can hire a car if I need to, or arrange to travel with someone who has one, and have nothing against using one for a frivolous day out. I just chose not to pay day in day out for something I rarely need.

Tips for car free living. Live in a city, or be a little bit organised and have a good freezer! (I'm sure the OP knows, but both bread and milk, those 'pop out for' items, can be frozen in order to stock up).

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
WOAH !!......the BUS....the TRAIN - you mean be trapped in a small metal box with other members of society who could easily be mentalists (probably more likely to be mentalists if they can't afford a car or bike).

One of the best things about not having a car was the humanising factor of using public transport.

Top Bottom