Life without the car from monday.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
I'm ashamed to say I have a works van (white
rolleyes.gif
), the wife has a new car and I have a people carrier. The kids have left home so between just me and the wife we have 3 vehicles. When the kids were young and money was tight we had one old banger.

I do prefer our old life when I had little kids and a crap car and life had more of a purpose. I'm really jealous of people who have a more alternative lifestyle i.e. no car, vegetable patch, bike with basket.

Anyone want to swap a shoot life in Salford for something a bit different ?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Blimey, tomorrow marks a year sans car for me. There have been a handful of occasions when I've missed it but they've generally been the "it's raining and I need to go to the shops" situations. And that is pure laziness on my part :blush: .

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Why are so many of you anti cars? Cars are very useful and here to stay. I wouldn't like to be without mine.

They are useful - at a price.......

Cars have killed more people than the people who have been killed in both world wars combined. Then the environmental costs/noise pollution.

Merde non ?

mattobrien

Guru
I have more cars that bikes, so can't see me going without one, not that I drive that much anymore.
The fleet consists of a track car, no. 1 hobby, a sports car (for road use) and an old truck, which is useful for taking the bike about in if I need to go farther a field.
I fully intend to cycle more miles than I drive next year, but do love my cars, so unless this go drastically wrong I can't see me losing any cars, but I do hope to better address the bike to car ratio
smile.gif

Matt

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Why are so many of you anti cars? Cars are very useful and here to stay. I wouldn't like to be without mine.

Well it may of escaped your notice, but this forum is called Cycle Chat.
Which by my reckoning would mean that the majority of posters are cyclists and many of those cyclists would rather cycle then own a car.

That's my theory anyway
thumbsup.png

brokenflipflop

Veteran
I need a world without cars and without facebook and without mobile phones.

Unfortunately I'd have to go back in time to the 19th century so I'd have to contend with TB, cholera and dysentery.

al78

Guru

It is not that people are anti-car (I don't hear many people advocating a total elimination of cars), it is the excessive use of them and the resultant destructive side effects that people have a problem with.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm coming up for 3 years without a car now. I have occasional access to my mother's car in return for occasionally driving her around after dusk because of her deteriorating eyesight but I don't think I've borrowed the car more than 4 times this year. Living in London makes it very easy not to have to - or want to - drive. And my parents, daughter and granddaughter all live within easy cycling distance. About 2 years ago I put around £20 onto an Oyster card and I've still got about £13 credit left. It must be over a year since I last caught a bus or a train - and the train ride was to get my bike down to the coast for a ride with a friend.

Various car insurance companies still send me ''please insure with us'' letters and I take great pleasure in tearing them up and putting them in the recycling. I'm really not missing the costs and the worry, and while the legs are still working, I'm definitely not looking for another car.

doog

Well it may of escaped your notice, but this forum is called Cycle Chat.
Which by my reckoning would mean that the majority of posters are cyclists and many of those cyclists would rather cycle then own a car.

That's my theory anyway
thumbsup.png

You are missing the point.

This forum isnt that militant i'm sure..........its easy to get swayed by commuting horror stories but die hard cyclists who dont own cars probably do it out of necessity rather than being anti car.

I mean for most cycling enthusiasts where would the TDF be without cars?

Where would most tourers be without the cycling express coach, planes and car ferries? All polluting monsters but thats not the point

The point of cycling is that we cycle because we can.

brokenflipflop

Veteran
WOAH !!......the BUS....the TRAIN - you mean be trapped in a small metal box with other members of society who could easily be mentalists (probably more likely to be mentalists if they can't afford a car or bike).

I'm glad I kept my car now
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I must review what I wish for.....No cars, no phones, no Facebook, no diseases......and no crowds of people !

(it's not so much the crowds of people I have a problem with.....just the individuals in the crowds)
angry.gif

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You are missing the point.

This forum isnt that militant i'm sure..........its easy to get swayed by commuting horror stories but die hard cyclists who dont own cars probably do it out of necessity rather than being anti car.

I mean for most cycling enthusiasts where would the TDF be without cars?

Where would most tourers be without the cycling express coach, planes and car ferries? All polluting monsters but thats not the point

The point of cycling is that we cycle because we can.

You're missing the point.
The little winky smiley in my post means that it should be taken in a light hearted way.
Oh well...
rolleyes.gif

Top Bottom