Life without the car from monday.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
driving would be nicer if the motons could just keep a lid on their anger...

The problem,i think,is that theres just too many cars on the road,people are in too much of a rush that when they get held up by a few seconds they go into a ridiculous rage.

I am keeping my car on the drive this winter now that 'cold weather tyres' are compulsory for getting around!!

I see a severe weather front has hit the Eastern US, LINKY. I guess we'll get the @rse end of it in about a week, so better order up some studded tyres now :ohmy:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am seriously considering giving up my car, after 30 years of "car dependency". I am fortunate in the fact that I receive a pension from a previous job. It is just about enough to survive on; IF I don't have the added expense of car ownership.

At the moment I am driving HGVs to supplement the pension, so that I can have added extras like holidays, and owning a car. However it is slowly getting through to my thick head that it is not worth the hassle. A low paid, long hours, hard physical job just so that I can keep a car??? WTF! If I am not working I do not NEED a car (current work is 25 miles away and not on a cycle commutable route). Due to the hours, public transport is not an option.

So; time for a serious re-evaluation of my life at age 49. Give up work, and with it the car? The more that time goes on, the more appealing an option it is becoming. I live within walking distance of a big supermarket, a train station, and bus stops. As an added bonus, I can stop contributing 30% of my wage in direct tax and NI, plus £8 per day in petrol.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
I am seriously considering giving up my car, after 30 years of "car dependency". I am fortunate in the fact that I receive a pension from a previous job. It is just about enough to survive on; IF I don't have the added expense of car ownership.

At the moment I am driving HGVs to supplement the pension, so that I can have added extras like holidays, and owning a car. However it is slowly getting through to my thick head that it is not worth the hassle. A low paid, long hours, hard physical job just so that I can keep a car??? WTF! If I am not working I do not NEED a car (current work is 25 miles away and not on a cycle commutable route). Due to the hours, public transport is not an option.

So; time for a serious re-evaluation of my life at age 49. Give up work, and with it the car? The more that time goes on, the more appealing an option it is becoming. I live within walking distance of a big supermarket, a train station, and bus stops. As an added bonus, I can stop contributing 30% of my wage in direct tax and NI, plus £8 per day in petrol.
Good for you mate,thats exactly how i feel,if you decide to go for it then i wish you the bet of luck :thumbsup:

400bhp

Guru
Liberating is exactly how it feels. This is from someone that was involved in motorpsort at an international level for over 30years. It'#s a wonderful feeling and it's only family circumstances that have drawn me back in, and even now I feel the morass dragging me deeper and deeper into dependancy! :-(

I still have my racecar - thing is I don't have the time to race it any more.

As I'm sure you're aware, there's always something to do on them - I cound easily spend 20 hrs + at a weekend fettling/tinkering etc.

I'm loathed to sell it as I'll get FA for it :sad:

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
I still have my racecar - thing is I don't have the time to race it any more.

As I'm sure you're aware, there's always something to do on them - I cound easily spend 20 hrs + at a weekend fettling/tinkering etc.

I'm loathed to sell it as I'll get FA for it :sad:

Christ i know that feeling,spent months on an Astravan to promote my forum,fitted Calibra v6 running gear etc etc,when i came to sell it had all sorts of idiots offering ridiculous amounts,ended up breaking it for spares :angry:

Arch

Married to Night Train
:ohmy: bet he's legs are like tree trunks !!!!!
That'd bloody kill me,i am looking at getting a cheap 70 quid cargo trailer though along with some triple panniers :thumbsup:

Not really. He's fairly fit of course, but pulling a trailer isn't actually all that much extra effort, until you're going uphill. On the flat, a well balanced trailer makes virtually no difference, and downhill it helps - bear in mind that you'll need to make sure your brakes are working well, to stop the extra weight.

I ride one of these at work, some days:

http://www.cyclesmaximus.com/

in load bearing set up. On an average day, I can be shifting the trike (50kg), me (69kg) and 150kg of recycling. Admittedly, on the slightest gradient I'm down to walking pace, but I can do it, and my legs aren't remotely tree trunkish. It's all in the gears.

I have colleagues who are much stronger and faster than me, but none of them are built like Olympic athletes especially.

Here's me with a small load...

sue on trike.jpg

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I would dearly love to get rid of our car but there's no way I could persuade my wife (or son) that it would be a good idea.

I would spend some of the money I saved on a decent trailer and/or cargo bike, which would cover most of those occasions when I might feel the need for a car.

d.

Cosmicned

We cut down from a two car to one car family- effectively the car belongs to my partner- but after much thought I ditched my car after watching rot on the drive after cycling to work for the past year. WAAAY better off and fitter... its a no-brainer if you can do it...

Will certainly keep you all updated with the progress.We will bbe keeping the car on the drive just in case things dont work out but only untill the end of January,on monday it will be put on sorn,the insurance and breakdown cover will be cancelled and it will have a cover thrown over it.
If by the end of January we still find we are coping without it then it will be sold and i will buy myself and the wife a new bike each :biggrin:
Hav'nt told our 2 lazy teenage daughters yet they are away on holiday :biggrin:

Good luck! We don't have a car either. Only downside for you is you've picked a bad time of the year to start; as it's getting cold and miserable :sad: - but keep it up; definitely worth it. You did say you were off the beaten track; I've just joined a car share for those 'need to pick up something bulky from XYZ' jobs; might be worth seeing if there is one nearby. I've used it all of once though!

Various car insurance companies still send me ''please insure with us'' letters and I take great pleasure in tearing them up and putting them in the recycling. I'm really not missing the costs and the worry, and while the legs are still working, I'm definitely not looking for another car.

Hmmm there's a thought - my junk mail just goes straight in the recycling unopened, but tearing it up must be more satisfying!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Brave decision, but good luck. Put some of that saved cash towards some really nice warm winter bike gear.....
thumbsup.png

would love to have a local job that meant I could cycle to work and ditch a car...

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Good luck! We don't have a car either. Only downside for you is you've picked a bad time of the year to start; as it's getting cold and miserable :sad:

In a way i'd say its the best time to start,yep the crap weather is coming in soon but if wecan get through the winter then the rest of the year should be a doddle :thumbsup:

We've just done our last shop,we made it a big un,got all the heavy and bulky things from town that we've been putting off getting and the car is now laid up on the drive on a sorn.

After being out in the car today i've realised exactly how crap driving has become,no-one wants to let you out at a jnc,if you let someone through 9/10 you dont even get an acknowledgement,the roads are packed with ignorant,arrogant twats that dont have an ounce of manners or politness in them,gonna miss driving? NO BLOODY WAY !! :hello:

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Well 24 hours in now and believe me thats a record already for me.My cars have always been as much a part of me as my legs,often carrying me more than my legs.I have always been a motorist and have loved driving passionately right up until the last year or so.

Spent my day tidying the garden,walking my dog with my 3 year old son,fitting my new panniers to my mtb and also fitting my new Schwalbe blizzard sport tyres to my road bike and generally pottering around.I know for a fact if the car was on the road i would've driven it somewhere today,and it would've been needless.Tomorrow i have to go to Wickes for some wire wool and sandpaper,12 mile round trip and already looking forward to the ride,that will be in the morning,in the afternoon i'll take the road bike out and try out my new tyres.God i love not having the car.

Will update next week and let you all know how the first week went :biggrin:

Top Bottom