LifeLine Tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveM

Anyone got an opinion on LifeLine tools that wiggle sell, I'm after a crank removal tool and a bottom bracket tool, their quite a lot cheaper than Park tools and I won't be using them a lot, but if they break easy whats the point on saving money.

dodgy

If you're using them a lot, go Park every time. I've never had to replace a Park tool, but I've replaced a couple of Tacx and Halfords tools.

Dave.

dodgy

spandex said:
Its not just Park tool we have Var tools and Hozan in the workshop and they are just grate some of them have had over 30 years of life in workshops.

Yes them, too, but I'm not sure if the OP has considered the more esoteric stuff!

Dave.

Valiant

Veteran
LifeLine are great and last a while, obviously they don't have much on a quality tool like Park et all but they do last very well.

I got the life line tool kit for Christmas and its done most thing I've asked of it. However the crank puller that came with the set didn't fit one of my bikes and I ended up buying a park crank puller that was more universal and fits both my Shimano bikes.

OP
OP
D

DaveM

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll just spend the extra and get a park crank extractor and shimano BB tooll

simoncc

I'd go for the cheaper ones. These days even cheap tools are good. Its hard to buy rubbish tools now.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have the lifeline set and they have been fine for the jobs I have needed to do.

giant man

simoncc said:
I'd go for the cheaper ones. These days even cheap tools are good. Its hard to buy rubbish tools now.

How very wrong you are! Lidl tool kit for example, 30 quid and most of the tools have fallen apart upon use. Look nice in their little case though! :evil:

dodgy

I have Park tools in my modest workshop ( actually a corner of my garage :evil: ) that are 15 years old and still showing no sign of wear. Cone spanners for instance, in virtually perfect nick but they've been used lots on my and friends bikes over the years. Contrast wich some cheapish Tacx ones that more or less rounded off on first use.

Good tools not only last longer, but they make the work more pleasant, too.

Dave.

domtyler

Über Member
I definitely recomend buying cheap when it comes to tools and equipment that you want to rely on to do the job! :evil:

GrahamG

Guru
I got the pretty comprehensive lifeline kit about 2 years ago, some of it has lasted, some has been a bag'o'shite. The BB remover and crank extractor are two that have been no problem at all, and they've had a fair bit of use too! The worst piece of kit was the chain tool, pin broke on it's 4th or 5th use. Spoke keys are a bit crap too as they catch the rim with a sharp edge too easily.

Basically, anything that doesn't perform or breaks gets replaced with Park tools. This is mostly at the insistance of my other half who did furniture design and cabinet making at uni and applies the 'best you can afford' motto to tools.

Top Bottom