Light recommendation. What the best :-))

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi to all. You can certainly tell that the nights are drawing in. Tonight I nearly got caught out with the onslaught of the darker evenings coming upon us. I now think it's time to buy some lights so I can extend my evening rides out without the worry of not being seen. Its my birthday on Sunday and I was thinking of treating my self to a set. The only problem is , there are so many makes out there and I don't want to buy some tin pot lights that claim there the best thing since sliced bread. I,m prepared to spend upto around £25 but I'm clueless as to what are good and what's rubbish. I usually ride for a round 1 to 1 1/5 hours in the evening so I could do with something with a half decent battery life. Also where I ride the roads are right in the middle of nowhere and it is literally pitch black in the depths of winter so I could do with something that really lights the road up. I might put my old Peugeot road bike to bed for the winter ( she's a pampered bike lol ) and drag the mountain bike out for the muddy winter roads .
What do you recommend my fellows cyclist. Are there any that shine through the competition.
Many thanks
Johnny

Goggs

Guru
If you're in the sticks you're going to need a bigger budget. Sorry.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for your views and recommendations. I will inevitably have to set my budget up a little higher then if I want a decent light.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
For a front light with separate battery pack, 7day shop have one of the high power T6 lights for £20
https://www.7dayshop.com/bike-cycle...-light-with-battery-charger-with-headlamp-kit

Otherwise Planet X have the Asterion rechargable for £8 (plus P&P but on pre-order at the moment)
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIJOMNSU/jobsworth-asterion-usb-rechargeable-front-light

For the rear, I'd go with a couple of the Phaart Bleeps at £3 each (plus P&P) also from Planet X
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBPDRL/phaart-bleep-dual-05-watt-led-rear-light

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Back light from Poundland. Multiple light patterns, lasts for an age on a couple of triple A batteries and as bright as anything I've seen at a lot more money.
I bought one as an emergency spare on the off chance, but was really impressed.

Plus it leaves you more money to spend on the front light. :okay:

Sharky

Guru
Consider the Cateye Volt series or the Smart 700.
+1 for the volt series.
The Volt 300 is more than enough for riding in dark country lanes.
Also get reflective slap bands for the ankles

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
$_86.JPG
I've got one of these. Just need SWMBO to let me out at night to make use of it.
I might need to sneak out when she's working late. :becool:

Willam

I use one of the military type torches, as bright as something costing £100 but only cost me around £20 for 2! and that was with the charger and frame mount, the rechargeable battery cost the most at around £10.

For the back, get the moon shield 60, as bright as you could ever want and comes with a build in battery.

Don't try and get both for your £25, choose which you need first and buy that, then save for the other, better wait and get decent stuff than try and make your budget stretch.

Just buy a cheap light whilst you wait, On One has some decent lights for £2 and £3, good for whilst you wait for what you want.

Last edited:
The Cree T6 lights are good value, battery on high lasts upto 2 hrs, you don't need more than advertised 1800-2000 on the road, if you get the standard single led ones you can usually fit a wide angle lens giving a flatter broader beam and also a quick release fixed (but swivels from side to side) mount. I just carry mine in my trunk bag with two battery packs.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thank you all once again for all your recommendations.I think I will read up on all your suggestions before I part with any money. There seems to be a myriad of choices out there.

All the very best to you all.
Johnny

tyred

Legendary Member
An Axa Pico 30 and cheapish bottle dynamo from Bike24 or Rose Bikes in Germany and save a lot of hassle.

Top Bottom