Light recommendation. What the best :-))

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
+1 for the volt series.
The Volt 300 is more than enough for riding in dark country lanes.
Also get reflective slap bands for the ankles

I have a Volt 300. I use it on roads and pitch black canal towpaths and the light is sufficient for this. My commute is about 1h 15m each way and the 3 hour runtime on full power is also enough to cover this altho I use lower power settings for streetlit areas. Great for non cycling uses too.

Nebulous

Guru
What about the Lezyne microdrive 400 set, anyone use these?

I normally run two lights front and rear, one on flash and one on solid. I didn't have that at the end of last winter but I've upped my mileage and am determined to be better kitted out this year. Halfords are selling the set for £43.50, so under £40 with british cycling discount.

I've previously used smart rear lights and they certainly let people see you from quite a distance.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
What about the Lezyne microdrive 400 set, anyone use these?

I normally run two lights front and rear, one on flash and one on solid. I didn't have that at the end of last winter but I've upped my mileage and am determined to be better kitted out this year. Halfords are selling the set for £43.50, so under £40 with british cycling discount.

I've previously used smart rear lights and they certainly let people see you from quite a distance.

For an urban commute the 400XL is a solid light. However i would not use it for commuting on unlit country roads as the beam isnt very focused. Biggest gripe seems to be the battery life when it is run on full power... It doesnt seem to last very long so i tend to use mine as a flash and it lasts a fair few rides between charges.

I really need to test out my Fluxient U2 Mini and see how long the battery lasts on that between charges. I dont think ive every really used it since i bought it lol

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Hi to all. You can certainly tell that the nights are drawing in. Tonight I nearly got caught out with the onslaught of the darker evenings coming upon us. I now think it's time to buy some lights so I can extend my evening rides out without the worry of not being seen. Its my birthday on Sunday and I was thinking of treating my self to a set. The only problem is , there are so many makes out there and I don't want to buy some tin pot lights that claim there the best thing since sliced bread. I,m prepared to spend upto around £25 but I'm clueless as to what are good and what's rubbish. I usually ride for a round 1 to 1 1/5 hours in the evening so I could do with something with a half decent battery life. Also where I ride the roads are right in the middle of nowhere and it is literally pitch black in the depths of winter so I could do with something that really lights the road up. I might put my old Peugeot road bike to bed for the winter ( she's a pampered bike lol ) and drag the mountain bike out for the muddy winter roads .
What do you recommend my fellows cyclist. Are there any that shine through the competition.
Many thanks
Johnny

I got a set from Aldi, for £10. I think the front is nearly as good as my Lezyne, which cost £50 (Macro Drive XL). It certainly worked fine for me on a chain gang ride though the countryside, though not pitch dark.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've got the 400XL front light and don't think too much of it - in one mode you've only got high or low power output while in the second mode there are 7 power or flash output options to cycle through - it switches on in slow flash, then quick flash, a high output which fades (pointless), high, mid, low and minimum output before going back to slow flash again. So if you've been running in the second mode, high output but need to turn the brightness down for oncoming traffic it's two presses then another five presses to get back to high output when the road clears again. Unfortunately he power button is difficult to operate even when not using gloves. It's therefore easier and (for me) more practical to run the mode with only high or low output which means you're paying for a whole pile of power output options that are never used.

Also, unless they've changed the design, the light plugs directly into the USB port of your computer or a USB plug and doesn't use a lead.

Nebulous

Guru
Thanks for the replies - sorry for butting into somebody else's thread. On an impulse buy I've bought these. First time I've had rechargeable lights. I've always used AA or AAA lights and carried a small plastic box of batteries (rechargeable) in my pannier bag. They are for urban use on my work / commuter bike. I ride quite a bit in the country but only in daylight hours.

Top Bottom