Light surface rust to chrome forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Aluminium foil dipped in vinegar and followed up with Autosol or failing that dunk in oxalic acid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ed no-more-lemons
Aluminium foil and Autosol or failing that dunk in oxalic acid.

Thanks for all the feedbacks.

Just to clarify as I have never really made the effort, is oxalic acid anything like deox gel?

As Wiki does not appear to say what products contain these ingedients.

In the first instance I am thinking of dipping foil in cider vinegar, as that is what is immediately available.

midlife

Guru
Rust is basically iron oxide, the aluminium (foil) is higher in the electrochemical series and will steal the oxygen from the iron oxide leaving metallic iron which is silver and shiny when polished. The aluminium turns to aluminium oxide.

If my a level chemistry is right this happens best in an aqueous acid environment like coke and any sort of vinegar.

It really works :smile:

I got my oxalic acid in powder form from eBay, advertised for cleaning wood.

Shaun

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It will rust again, especially if pitted. Worst case scenario if it gets too annoying - you can roughen, prime with acid etch primer and spray paint. The chrome fork blades and rear stays on my Holdsworth were like that and Argos are just going to paint over, since rechroming is bad for the steel as well as costing a king's ransom.

Drago

Legendary Member
0000 grade wire wool and Autosol if its slight.

Oxalic acid if its more advanced.

If theyre suspension forks...once its clean and spangly serious pitting can be filled with araldite and flatted back. Won't look pretty, but will be completely functional.

Top Bottom