Lightbulb wattage..........how critical is it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We have some wall lights that came complete with bulbs. One bulb has just gone/failed. On checking I find it is just 28 watt (screw in type). The ones I have seen in local shop are 40 watt.
I know they have put 28 in for a reason but will it really matter if I use 40??
The bulbs are small and there is only a small gap between them and the plastic shade.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What does the housing say?

Can LEDs be substituted or is heat dissipation likely to be troublesome?

I would go to 30 or 32, but not 40.

If you're intending to swap 40W filament lamps for LED or mini fluorescent, then probably not. The newer equivalents don't actually use 40W, just produce the same amount of light as one - they (at a guess) probably use around 15W. What could possibly go wrong?

vickster

Legendary Member
Screwfix tend to have an extensive range of bulbs, along with efficient click and collect and long opening hours

Adam4868

Guru
I guess it depends on bulb and fitting,is it plastic ? As a general rule....more voltage...more wattage...more heat.Id go with the living on the edge and buy it.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
But if you use 40 in one and 28 in the other isn't the 40 going to be brighter ?
Don't confuse the issue.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
What does the housing say?

Can LEDs be substituted or is heat dissipation likely to be troublesome?

I would go to 30 or 32, but not 40.
Housing doesn't say anything........can't find any details on it.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Buy a 7W LED to replace it. Make sure you pick the right colour temp (3500k - 3700k), and buy branded, not cheap. Philips lamps are quite nice, and you can click & collect from Waitrose.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Screwfix tend to have an extensive range of bulbs, along with efficient click and collect and long opening hours
Screwfix is still basically "B&Q playing at being Argos". Toolstation was started by one of the family who sold Screwfix and has since sold it to Travis Perkins. Wilkinsons and Clas Ohlson also sell fairly good ranges of LEDs bulbs.

Adam4868

Guru
Screwfix is still basically "B&Q playing at being Argos". Toolstation was started by one of the family who sold Screwfix and has since sold it to Travis Perkins. Wilkinsons and Clas Ohlson also sell fairly good ranges of LEDs bulbs.
Didnt know any of that....ive allways used toolstation.Found them to be good on price and nothing too much trouble.Returns not a problem and to top it all you get free coffees at my local.

Top Bottom