Lighting regs and Police

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
marinyork said:
Can you please not post about a story we already know about that isn't relevant to lights. You're misapplying principles there, it is not the same thing at all. Under the same principles you'd get your full payout.

And can you please read some of the legislation quoted, some of the things you've added into your posts are not actually correct, nor even relevant (except where we discuss those sub issues in other threads which you should probably join in).

get a life saddo. someone asked.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
bromptonfb said:
get a life saddo. someone asked.

The story has been debated extensively. One extreme reading of the principles of it would even be the opposite of what you were getting at - that if cunobelin was not using a 720 lumen light and was only using a poorly powered BS light then things would go down the same road! So I don't think it is very fair to mention the story as a scaremongering story.

As for selling BS only lights, this would be a disaster.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
oh i'm sorry. you can have opinions whilst i can not. who are you?! i simply stated that cateye lights in general are not legal, that is fact. i simply stated that I make sure I have legal lights as I don't wish to have MY payout POSSIBLY reduced like someone I read about.

where did you get scaremongering from that? it is my opinion and my life. since when did little hitlers like you have the rite to issue orders to me? arse!!

marinyork

bromptonfb said:
oh i'm sorry. you can have opinions whilst i can not. who are you?! i simply stated that cateye lights in general are not legal, that is fact. i simply stated that I make sure I have legal lights as I don't wish to have MY payout POSSIBLY reduced like someone I read about.

where did you get scaremongering from that? it is my opinion and my life. since when did little hitlers like you have the rite to issue orders to me? arse!!

You had your own thread on this and you comment every time this comes up so on that basis I find it somewhat odd you think I am telling you you can't have opinions and I can. Cateye lights in general are not BS marked. It is believed some of my smarts and some of my cateyes are CEN. Like I said hopefully in the next few years it'll all be put to bed on that issue.

I have explained one aspect of why it is scaremongering and other people have commented that that case has little to do with what we're talking about here (see coruskate's post). If you don't like that that's fine but we have done that other rather disturbing judgement to death.

In many cases Cateye state that their lights comply with the RVLR - either they are lying and need to be prosecuted under the Trade Descriptions Act...... or they might know whether their lights comply or not

Actually there is a parallel between helmets and lights when it comes to standardss.

MAny helmets are not tested above the absolute minimum for sale. This meand tht you cannot tell how much protection a psecific model will give. The same is true with lights.

Many lights comply with regulations such as the RVLR, and are therefore useable under the RVLR amendments that superceded the requirement for a BS6102/3 kitemark.

Since the 2005 amendments this has NOT been a requirement for cycle lights.

marinyork

I thought one of the moans about CEN was that you actually had to prove that you'd tested to those standards rather than believing it would pass BS?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The problem with the BS kitemark system is that, even though it is a tick box exercise, it is very expensive for manufactures to go thought it which is why they don't bother even though their lights exceed the required standards.

Crankarm

Guru
bromptonfb said:

A bit harsh ......... calm down, calm down dear!

We're all on the same side :evil:.

Crankarm

Guru
I have Smart 3 and 5 LED rear lights whose packaging merely states "UK Compliant". No BS, TUV or CEN marks on the lights themselves. They are bright though. My Cateye front lights have no markings other than model number and that batteries have to be recycled on the casings.

marinyork

As I've commented before, on the blame/payout/fault thing if someone knocked me off my bike and I was unconscious it would only take a few seconds for someone to remove the lights and chuck them in the bushes. A bit more time would completely remove the mounts although at the moment one of them is cabled tied on so that might present more difficulty. I've no doubt that some people would stoop this low were they quick enough thinking and the police would sympathise with the poor motorist :tongue:!:biggrin:. They could equally chuck my helmet in the bushes.

Crankarm

Guru
marinyork said:
As I've commented before, on the blame/payout/fault thing if someone knocked me off my bike and I was unconscious it would only take a few seconds for someone to remove the lights and chuck them in the bushes. A bit more time would completely remove the mounts although at the moment one of them is cabled tied on so that might present more difficulty. I've no doubt that some people would stoop this low were they quick enough thinking and the police would sympathise with the poor motorist ;)!;). They could equally chuck my helmet in the bushes.

Ooh....... a series attempt to pervert the course of justice. If of course your lights aren't smashed due to the vehicle or hitting the road .......... They would of course be putting their selfish behaviour to remove or destroy evidence above the need to contact the emergency services for your injuries.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Lol I would find this completely hilarious if I didn't think you actually mean what you are saying. ;):laugh:;):laugh:

marinyork said:
As I've commented before, on the blame/payout/fault thing if someone knocked me off my bike and I was unconscious it would only take a few seconds for someone to remove the lights and chuck them in the bushes. A bit more time would completely remove the mounts although at the moment one of them is cabled tied on so that might present more difficulty. I've no doubt that some people would stoop this low were they quick enough thinking and the police would sympathise with the poor motorist :angry::biggrin:. They could equally chuck my helmet in the bushes.

Dan B

Disengaged member
If they're going to those lengths they may as well drag you and the bike into the bushes and pretend there was no crash is the first place. As I believe happened recently in one case

Top Bottom