Lighting regs and Police

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On the hteme of this thread, does anyone know where I can get a set of the absolute cheapest BS-marked lights? Just so that if PC plod does ever pull me over, I can indicate that I have legal lights fitted and in use. Having also read about the policemans relative lack of knowledge about bicycle light legality, I will also photocopy the text about lights which was linked to further up this thread so I can laminate it and have it in my bag, just in case :o)
I do seem to remember, however, last time I looked into this, flashing lights are legal but non-filament-type lights, i.e. LED ones, are not, crazy eh?

Once again- the 2005 RVLR amendments superceded the BS requirement - you DO NOT have to have Bs6102/3 lights!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
from a very well respected source the ctc

Lighting Regulations Abbreviated to RVLR: the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 (amended in 1994 and 2005) require pedal cycles to have various lights and reflectors fitted, clean and working properly, when being ridden on a public road between sunset and sunrise. Cyclists may also be required to light up in conditions of seriously reduced visibility during the day, but only if they have functional lights already fitted. Lights are not required when the cycle is stationary or being pushed along the roadside.
It has to be said that the fine details of RVLR are seldom enforced; and provided you show some kind of white light in front and red behind you are unlikely to be challenged. If you are involved in a night-time accident however, any slight illegality with respect to your lights or reflectors may be regarded as contributory negligence. The following items are the minimum required, on a bicycle or tricycle, in order to ride it legally at night:
Front Lamp

One is required, showing a white light, positioned centrally or offside, up to 1500mm from the ground, aligned towards and visible from the front. If capable of emitting a steady light it must be marked as conforming to BS6102/3 or an equivalent EC standard. If capable of emitting only a flashing light, it must emit at least 4 candela.
Rear Lamp

One is required, to show a red light, positioned centrally or offside, between 350mm and 1500mm from the ground, at or near the rear, aligned towards and visible from behind. If capable of emitting a steady light it must be marked as conforming to BS3648, or BS6102/3, or an equivalent EC standard. If capable of emitting only a flashing light, it must emit at least 4 candela.
Rear Reflector

One is required, coloured red, marked BS6102/2 (or equivalent), positioned centrally or offside, between 350mm and 900mm from the ground, at or near the rear, aligned towards and visible from behind.
Pedal Reflectors

Four are required, coloured amber and marked BS6102/2 (or equivalent), positioned so that one is plainly visible to the front and another to the rear of each pedal.
Exceptions and explanations

Age brings privileges. To name but two: cycles manufactured before October 1990 can have any kind of white front lamp that is visible from a reasonable distance, and pre-October 1985 cycles don’t need pedal reflectors.
Cycle trailers need a rear lamp and reflector; sidecars also need a front lamp. The Euro-friendly clause

Thanks to a European Directive of a few years ago, wherever a British Standard (BS) is referred to, equivalent standards from other EC countries must now also be recognised, but only if they provide an equivalent level of safety etc. It’s not exactly clear which do. However Germany has arguably the strictest cycle lighting laws in Europe so we consider it safe to use equipment that is marked accordingly, with a “K~number”.
It should also be noted that wherever a British Standard is referred to, that reference applies to a specific edition. In the case of BS6102/3, that is the 1986 edition, as amended on 15th April 1995 and again on 1st September 2003. These amendments removed the filament bulb design restrictions, so that lamps may now get their light from LEDs – or indeed anything else!
Dynamos

Dynamo powered lights are legal even though they go out when you stop. That’s allowed so long as you stop on the left. Usually it’s much safer to stay where you are (e.g. in a stationary queue with left-turning traffic filtering up your inside), since most cars do stop for red traffic lights and those that don’t are unlikely to pay more heed to a bike lamp! Nevertheless: dynamos and lamps are now available with reliable back-up (standlight) features that either keep them on or light up a diode instead of the bulb.
Additional lamps and reflectors

Some cyclists like to fit extra lamps and reflectors, in addition to the approved ones, specified above. This is perfectly legal provided they are the correct colour and in an appropriate position. These optional lamps and reflectors do not have to comply with any standards, but it’s illegal to use some designs of lamp or reflector that have specific other uses. You must not, for instance, show a red light at the front, or a white light to the rear, or fit triangular-shaped rear reflectors on anything except a trailer.
The Pedal Cycles (Safety) Regulations (PCSR) ensure that every new bicycle is sold with several extra reflectors, not required by RVLR, but (strangely) does nothing at all to facilitate the fitment of front and rear lamps. These additional reflectors are found on the sides of the wheels, clear white or coloured yellow, and there's also a "white" reflector on the front of the bike. You are at liberty to remove the surplus side and front reflectors, which in any case are of dubious benefit, but be sure to fit the necessary front and rear lamps.
Flashers

Thanks to the enactment of Statutory Instrument 2005 No. 2559: on 23rd October 2005, it finally became legal to have a flashing light on a pedal cycle. Even better: it became possible for a flashing light to be approved, meaning no other light would be needed in that position. And since BS6102/3 does not yet cater for flashing (but is likely to be amended to do so quite soon), approval is for the time being, granted simply on the basis of brightness.
Because DfT very much prefer anything that possibly can be evaluated against a proper technical standard, so to be evaluated: any flashing lamp that is also capable of emitting a steady light is approved only if it conforms with BS6102/3 when switched to steady mode. Since most (probably all) flashing lights do also have a steady mode, and since none of their manufacturers can be bothered to test and mark them to the pernickety standards of one small country on the fringes of Europe, it's unlikely that any flashing light actually qualifies for approval. But since it became theoretically legal to ride a bike with only flashing lights on it, the Police are nowadays no more likely to quibble its legal status than one equipped with steady lights – unless they're rather dim or involved in an accident of course.
If you'd like to read the Department for Transport's explanation, see this page on their website.
Chris Juden 2006-09-29

I've been riding illegally for years, never mind the lights as all clipless pedals are illegal. The onus of responsibility is on the manufacturer not on the buyer.
Just to go back to the flashing rear lights, Manchester police used to have flashing rear lights fitted on their bikes before they were legal.

all the Cateye lights I have are CE marked

CE Marking is the symbol
cem_red.gif
as shown on the top of this page. The letters "CE" are the abbreviation of French phrase "Conformité Européene" which literally means "European Conformity". The term initially used was "EC Mark" and it was officially replaced by "CE Marking" in the Directive 93/68/EEC in 1993. "CE Marking" is now used in all EU official documents

So I assume they must conform to the "European Clause"

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
marinyork said:
As I've commented before, on the blame/payout/fault thing if someone knocked me off my bike and I was unconscious it would only take a few seconds for someone to remove the lights and chuck them in the bushes. A bit more time would completely remove the mounts although at the moment one of them is cabled tied on so that might present more difficulty. I've no doubt that some people would stoop this low were they quick enough thinking and the police would sympathise with the poor motorist :smile:!:smile:. They could equally chuck my helmet in the bushes.

I've often worried about this and hope that in the event of that happening that my husband will stand up in court and state that I don't cycle in the dark without lights and that's why I have loads of spares so that I can always find a light or 2 or 3. Hopefully they would also seek information from other motorists who would remember passing a cyclist with decent lights. I mean why would you go to the bother of buying multiple versions of not basic lights unless you intended to use them. Still a worry though. They would also have to remove multiple lights which would take a little time.

bromptonfb said:
Pedal ReflectorsFour are required, coloured amber and marked BS6102/2 (or equivalent), positioned so that one is plainly visible to the front and another to the rear of each pedal.

Have you ever tried to buy pedal reflectors - since they seem to break easily - I find it hard to find on the internet - occasionally nice LBS's have a couple lying around.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
psmiffy said:
all the Cateye lights I have are CE marked

CE Marking is the symbol
cem_red.gif
as shown on the top of this page. The letters "CE" are the abbreviation of French phrase "Conformité Européene" which literally means "European Conformity". The term initially used was "EC Mark" and it was officially replaced by "CE Marking" in the Directive 93/68/EEC in 1993. "CE Marking" is now used in all EU official documents

So I assume they must conform to the "European Clause"

this marking just means it conforms to some requirements somewhere, eg, the lens is impact resistant, the red is the right colour etc. without a number it basically means that particular part it is allowed to be sold in the european market.

RichK said:
Manufacturer can claim they are for daytime usage only. Also, some produce clip on reflectors (though I've yet to see any that will last more than 5 minutes before breaking or get knocked off).

If there was a double sided SPD with (usable) reflectors, then I'd buy a pair & am open to suggestions.

I've just bought a pair of Shimano SPD A530s, which doesn't answer your question as they are SPD one side, platform the other, but you can get Shimano-made reflectors for 'em which bolt on, and from the pictures I've seen look fairly sturdy.
Only trouble is, no-one in the UK appears to import them. I've found a website in Germany which does stock them, only they have a 50 euro minimum order, these reflectors are Euro 24.95 a set (yes, I know, ouch!) so if anyone wants anything from www.bike-discount.de which would bring my order up to/past 50 euro, please pm me.
Sorry for the thread hijack ;) .
Yes, I think it sucks that retailers are allowed to sell pedals which contravene the regs by using the 'daylight use only' loophole.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
my shimano spd are double sided i.e, spd / flat combo. they came with reflectors. cost £40. when the reflectors bust i got new ones for £2 from local raleigh centre and he had a big bag with loads inn. the replacements just pushed straight into existing holes.hth

Dan B

Disengaged member
bromptonfb said:
reflectors on the foot suffice the regs don't they?
No. The regs state that the reflector must be attached to leading/trailing edges of the pedal. A particularly dumb bit of legislative drafting

coruskate said:
No. The regs state that the reflector must be attached to leading/trailing edges of the pedal. A particularly dumb bit of legislative drafting

Plus which they must conform to BS blahblahblahboringwafflesubsections63000pointtwofiveeightseven (or something like that!).:laugh:

Top Bottom