lighting stoves matches or other means?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Yes, ferrocium rod is foolproof, so long as you have some carbon steel to strike it with.

Turboflame used to make a good refillable lighter. The copies are all rot.

The looney preppers And EDC nutcases probs carry an Everstryke survival match or twelve.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, ferrocium rod is foolproof, so long as you have some carbon steel to strike it with.

Turboflame used to make a good refillable lighter. The copies are all rot.

The looney preppers And EDC nutcases probs carry an Everstryke survival match or twelve.
I've a film tub of waxed matches, just in case the stormproof lighter fails for some reason.

Along with those, if not lighting a stove, there's a powdered "fire lighter" that can be used

ianbarton

Veteran
What about a Swedish firesteel, works when absolutely sodden, and in an emergency will get a fire going, never needs refueling and the spark shower is mightily impressive, I've lit fires, Trangias and gas BBQ's with one.
Buy Swedish FireSteel BIO army 2in1 - Official Store (lightmyfire.com)
I love these. However, one caveat: if you leave it in a damp bag for any length of time a chemical reaction happens that reduces your firesteel to ash. Happened to me on a camping trip when I had put the firesteel away in a damp bag, luckily there was just enough steel left to be able to generate a spark.

DRM

Guru
Two sticks of wood, one hard wood, one softwood. Cut a notch in the softwood and then turn hardwood in notch. You’ll soon have an ember to light your fire.
Don’t forget a top piece of wood to act as a bearing & a bow to get some speed up, or the other favourite for damp wood, shave with a very sharp knife to make a feather stick

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
1612016492637.png

Typically use something of this sort, USB rechargeable electric arc lighter.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
but will that light a wood fire one of those £10 or so things from Ebay like I have that are very useful to have? ( I also have a Colemans petrol stove) View attachment 571257
I tend to carry a bit of dryer lint in my little wood stove for when I use that, which is not as often as I used to. My employer gave me a Jet Boil clone gas stove for a service award a year or two ago, and it has a piezo igniter.

Top Bottom