lighting stoves matches or other means?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't trust piezo ignition lighters or igniters, I find them unreliable if they are exposed to very much moisture or if fine grit enters the mechanism, only the really hefty ones with a big crystal and powerful striker release seem to be resistant.
I use old fashioned flint ignition, cheap refillable lighters are good if you can source an adapter to fill it with a butane/propane mélange from a Lindal valve canister. Even the el-cheapo Clippers have a removable flint so you can pack a dry spare.
The trusty old Zippo works well but they stink and it means you have to pack another source of fuel. I pack friction strike matches with the heads dipped in wax and sealed up in a tiny resealable plastic bag inside a tin for emergency use.
I got caught out once a long long way from anywhere with a dead lighter and some wet matches, no brew, no hot food and a very cold night.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you want to be a bit exotic, try a fire piston.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_piston
It's like a very small bike pump that doesn't have anywhere for the compressed air to escape to. When compressed, the air heats up and ignites a small piece of tinder on the end of the piston. They do actually work but it's a bit of a faff.

Top Bottom