Lighting traffic-free cycleways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pixiepie

Hi all,

I'm involved in building and improving a network of traffic-free cycle paths. They are mainly built on former railway lines so tend to be in cuttings for much of their routes with very little or no natural surveillance. They also tend to act as wildlife corridors in what is generally quite an urban area so there are quite a lot of bats etc.

None of the routes have any form of lighting at the moment (other than the odd subway) and installing normal street lighting would be very expensive so is difficult to justify when there is such limited funding for cycling infrastructure and so much needs doing.

I'm currently researching alternative options and would be really interested to hear your views and experiences of them.

The two products I've looked at so far are a solar powered LED studs such as this one: http://www.clearviewtraffic.com/ast...rt/22/solarlite-f-series-flush-road-studs.htm

and this glow in the dark stud: http://www.traxeyes.com/

As well as the obvious questions of value for money, durability, maintenance etc, the key question for me is whether these products would encourage more people to use the routes after dark (and whether they make the routes safe enough to do so).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I cycle on a path which has the studs in them, though I'm normally through there around dusk at the latest so I'm not sure how much difference they make in the dark. Some of the studs seem to stop working ... I assume they are easy enough to replace (Concorde Way, Bristol). They have just installed proper lighting this winter on another two routes but again I wasn't through there late enough for it to make a difference (Ring Road and also the Bristol/Bath Railway Path).

Installing the studs looked to be easier than the full on street lighting judging by the disruption to the cycle track.

To be honest I wouldn't go down those routes late at night, but I would use them when it was dark but more people around.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 4217298, member: 259"]If people are cycling in the dark they should have lights on their bikes. I cycle down unlit lanes all the time and i don't have a problem.[/QUOTE]
The route where the studs are installed is well used by pedestrians as well.

OP
OP
P

pixiepie

Yeah, the routes I'm talking about are shared ped/cycleways and are well used by commuters, recreational cyclists, dog walkers, school kids, walking groups etc.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[QUOTE 4217304, member: 259"]So are the lanes :smile:[/QUOTE]
Not on that stretch....
Cycle path with solar lights.JPG

You can just about make out the lights along the edge.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
When I've been cycling in the dark, usually on roads, but without street lighting, the presence of a just a painted white line was sufficient to see ahead and to know where the bends are, especially with the ever improving bike lights that are now available.

For hard to spot gates, pathways and bends etc, reflective posts/studs would be a bonus.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The cycle track which runs down the east of the Exe Estuary (part of NCN2) has just had studs installed - perhaps you could seek advice from your counterparts in Devon. The track is not straight and with minimum style front lights or even without, the lighting studs are a real help for keeping safely on the track. We want to encourage use and the minimal lighting the OP is considering allows people to use the track after dark, even without a front lamp. On balance I'd prefer people to have the option to use it without or with only a 'minimum' (ie to be seen on a lit road) light than be deterred from doing so because it is unlit. Would also encourage use by pedestrians.

OP
OP
P

pixiepie

The cycle track which runs down the east of the Exe Estuary (part of NCN2) has just had studs installed - perhaps you could seek advice from your counterparts in Devon.

Thanks. We are speaking to other local authorities that have used them but I am keen to get views from actual cyclists as well.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
No thanks to more lighting. There's plenty enough already and we should treasure the few dark places we still have left.

OP
OP
P

pixiepie

You might also want to speak to South Cambridgeshire Council. I can think of a number of places in the area that use these systems on shared use paths.

I actually find them quite helpful. That said, they need to be maintained and kept clean in order to be most effective. They're also somewhat prone to being nicked (I kid you not - someone round here was found to have dug up a whole pile to put along the edge of his garden path).

Thanks for this. Yes, vandalism and theft are definitely a concern. The "TraxEyes" product I'm looking at is only around £3 a unit and can be installed with a rubber mallet so it shouldn't be a major issue if some need replacing but they do look a little flimsy compared to the ones that are fitted flush with the surface.

Decisions decisions!

OP
OP
P

pixiepie

No thanks to more lighting. There's plenty enough already and we should treasure the few dark places we still have left.

Yeah, I have sympathy with this view although the pruducts I'm looking only really highlight the edges of the path; there isn't really much upwards light spill (which some people see as a problem in terms of making the routes safe enough for people to use).

Sharky

Guru
Thanks for this. Yes, vandalism and theft are definitely a concern. The "TraxEyes" product I'm looking at is only around £3 a unit and can be installed with a rubber mallet so it shouldn't be a major issue if some need replacing but they do look a little flimsy compared to the ones that are fitted flush with the surface.

Decisions decisions!
You need to have a "light bulb moment"?

Top Bottom