Lighting your shed / bike storage area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brahan

Über Member
I am in the process of finishing my shed and need to light it but was thinking about a flourescent light. For heating it, I'm going to make a wood burner out of an old gas bottle and I must say that having a fridge sounds like a splendid idea.
If I could post a picture up here, I would because I'm really proud of my creation, not sure what the neighbours think though.

Brahan

Über Member
Armoured cable into the shed. Then one of these workights which when in the shed is stored on hooks from the ceiling, shining down and keeping me both illuminated and toasty warm - they pack some heat!

400W is going to be pricey though?

Hip Priest

Veteran
I have a garage, but it is separate from the house and has no electric supply. Which is why I've just had to haul my bike into the house to fix the brakes.

400W is going to be pricey though?

Yes but I was glad of it tonight, overhauling an old but good hub then building a wheel whilst the rain hammered and the wind whistled, and 400w of halogen worklight gave me a suntan :-)

I do have a fluorescent light too but the shed roof has a leak above it and it got wet, so need to fix new roofing felt before I can use that

Brahan

Über Member
What are we looking at? The wendy house? :whistle:

Yup, it's a big wendy house though at 4.2 x 3.2 metres. I'm thinking about moving in for some peace and quiet over the winter months.

My shed is tiny. I'd love a bigger one but the existing one is very sturdy and in any case I can't afford to replace it.

I have painted the interior walls of the shed white so that in winter when I do have to fettle the bike in the dark hours, at least some of the lead-light's output gets bounced back. Bloomin' cold though. If it can wait until the weekend, I leave it and do it in daylight. If it's anything serious that can't wait, I apply for dispensation from Mrs Beanz to use the far end of the kitchen. Once the kitchen gets redecorated next year I have a feeling that using the kitchen could be a trickier prospect!

longers

Legendary Member
My garage has a solar light that's fine for getting the bikes in/out, but a little weak for doing any maintenance. TBH I usually forget it's there and just use my front light as a torch. If you fancy a cheap solar light, E-ON are doing them for £6 here.

On your recommendation I got one of the E-ON lights, fitted it yesterday and have just checked how well it works.

It's perfect, thankyou very much. 10/10!

What does everyone do for lighting in your bike storage area?

I've recently changed where I store my bike and due to the sunset getting earlier, i'm going to need to think about lighting to allow me to see what i'm doing when it's dark.

I can probably sort out some electrical power to my shed and get a light fitting, this is probably what I will end up doing.

I use one of these Mr Beams spotlight - https://www.mrbeams.co.uk/lights/spotlight/
It's been a life saver, I looked into wiring up the shed and it was pretty costly, so I thought for the sake of £25 I try this instead. It was SO easy to install and after 10 months is still working on the same set of batteries!

Tynan

Veteran
for fishing I spent about a tenner on a motion sensitive led light, amazon I think, it works, i suggest problem solved

Top Bottom